Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:59 am
Thinking Jake Harty is going to see more offensive reps for the Lions than some might be expecting as well mostly for his blocking ability. Kind of a smaller version of David Mackie. Re-watching the Grey Cup he had a good game that day for the Als.
Would love to see Maksymic implement a "smashmouth" formation at certain junctures of a game to take full advantage of Prukop's running ability and Stanback behind him.

Didn't realize Dunbar opted for the UFL (Houston) when the Elks decided to drop his $200,000 salary.

-Leonard, Baron, Sewell, Davis — you could put together a pretty formidable DL with the remaining FAs albeit all 4 are on the other side of 30. Baron is the youngest turning 31 in August.

Could do the same with the receivers but again mostly older players coming off significant contracts.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Seeing Calgary continue to bring in big bodies suggests the rebuild continues and we'll see a different team in 2024. Not really anything new with the exception of more spots open this year particularly on the O line and wondering about Hugh Thornton and Jamaal Campbell who appear to have not been re-signed. Dedrick Mills on an ELC is a bonus. Outside chance he ends up as leading rusher.
The only surprising thing about the Stamps' OL changes is that they let home town boy Ryan Sceviour escape. They did bring in Trevon Tate from Toronto who started 10 games in 2023 split between LT & RT. I think they are intent on opening up playing time for some of their 2nd and 3rd year youngsters like Bryce Bell (26) who played 13 games in 2023 starting 10 split between LT, LG and RT, Rodeem Brown (24) who was a rookie in 2023, D'Antne Demery (26) who played and started 11 games at LT and DJ Coker (26) who started 11 of the 13 games he played at RT,

Campbell and Thornton were little more than older depth players. Thornton who turns 33 a couple weeks into the season only played 7 games in his two years in Calgary. Campbell has been taking a diminishing role over the past few seasons mostly because he hasn't been very good. He's now just a journeyman depth player of questionable value. He played 13 games in 2023 starting none. The Riders brought him in in 2022 to shore up their OL but he quickly played his way out of a golden opportunity to start. After starting 20 of 29 games with Toronto in 2019 and 2021 he started only 2 of 25 in Saskatchewan and Calgary. Rider fans were very disappointed in his play in 2022 and only too happy to see his taillights leaving town.

I don't know where you get Mills being on an ELC deal. He was a pending FA who signed a new extension back in January. He won't be making top dollar but no way is he making anything close to minimum salary. I'd guess he's in the $110K-$120K range.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
don corleone
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:48 am
-Leonard, Baron, Sewell, Davis — you could put together a pretty formidable DL with the remaining FAs albeit all 4 are on the other side of 30. Baron is the youngest turning 31 in August.
Stick Simoni Lawrence and Larry Dean behind them and you have a good start on an expansion team. Might patch an O line together from left over players as well. Taylor Cornelius and Nick Arbuckle at QB. Not saying they win the cup.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:29 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Stick Simoni Lawrence and Larry Dean behind them and you have a good start on an expansion team. Might patch an O line together from left over players as well. Taylor Cornelius and Nick Arbuckle at QB. Not saying they win the cup.
Call it the Grumpy Old Men Defense. :wink: Or something similar to George Allen's "Over the Hill Gang" in Washington. Leonard and Baron definitely still have plenty of gas in the tank. The rest would be a case of hoping there's enough fumes left in the tank to squeeze one more year out of them. Lawrence, Dean and Sewell had solid years in 2023 but Davis' game fell off noticeably. He was mostly ineffective when he did play.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:52 am
I don't know where you get Mills being on an ELC deal. He was a pending FA who signed a new extension back in January. He won't be making top dollar but no way is he making anything close to minimum salary. I'd guess he's in the $110K-$120K range.
Appreciate the update on Mills. I forgot about 2022 and was fixated on the recruitment and development by the Stamps. Proof will be in the pudding but not often you see a team replace a top running back like Carey through their system with a player like Mills. No disrespect to Peyton Logan.

Conflicting reports regarding Screviour. Calgary guys saying not worth the money and Sask guys saying best deal ever. No doubt he will appear to play better lined up next to Jermarcus Hardrick. That said, kudos to Bryce Bell who looks to have a good shot at starting and likely made Screviour expendable. I was never sure about Demery whether he was starting by design or by need. Maybe Tate is the LT they have in mind for now. It would be great to see Brown make the roster as 6th man.

You might be right about Campbell as well. Argos may have realized it first. In his defense it is not easy either to get 6 games to gel and excel before getting kicked down the road. On that note I'll be watching Brett Boyko closely again . Seems to be fitting in with the Elks after his time in Sask and being out of the league for a year. Not saying Campbell is in the same boat but won't be surprised to see him get signed somewhere.

Thornton could be an injury replacement if the situation arises. Stanley Bryant comes to mind.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:08 pm
Appreciate the update on Mills. I forgot about 2022 and was fixated on the recruitment and development by the Stamps. Proof will be in the pudding but not often you see a team replace a top running back like Carey through their system with a player like Mills. No disrespect to Peyton Logan.
Those are the decisions a team finds itself having to make in a cap world. Montreal did it with Stanback. It could be argued Toronto did it with Ouellette and BC did it last year with Butler and previously with Harris. Winnipeg also did it moving on from Harris to make room for Oliviera to be their every day starter. Last year Carey was TB1, Mills TB2 and Logan KR1 & TB2 only if Carey or Mills weren't dressed. The only time Carey and Mills both suited up was when Logan was hurt. If all 3 were healthy Mills watched the game in civvies. But make no mistake he was next man up TB if Carey was out.

Calgary's options were:
1) try continuing with Carey, pay him one of the top 3 or 4 TB salaries AND lose their heir-apparent in Mills who would have been a free agency target for more than a few teams.
2) go younger and cheaper at TB by going to Mills now and allowing Carey to move on while putting the SMS savings into other priorities.
don corleone
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Would love to see Maksymic implement a "smashmouth" formation at certain junctures of a game to take full advantage of Prukop's running ability and Stanback behind him.
Are you saying more "up the gut" type plays? Is that you Mr Buono? :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

don corleone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:30 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Are you saying more "up the gut" type plays? Is that you Mr Buono? :wink:
^^^LOL.
To me, "smashmouth" football is old school where they had a RB and a FB who was mostly a lead blocker, but sometimes a pass receiver, and sometimes a ball carrier.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Seeing Calgary continue to bring in big bodies suggests the rebuild continues and we'll see a different team in 2024. Not really anything new with the exception of more spots open this year particularly on the O line and wondering about Hugh Thornton and Jamaal Campbell who appear to have not been re-signed. Dedrick Mills on an ELC is a bonus. Outside chance he ends up as leading rusher.

Also wondering if Winnipeg has plans to use Chris Streveler as a receiver to get him on the field more often than just relegating him to short yardage. I could see him being good at running interference down field ala Rasheed Bailey who will do the same thing in Toronto. Would also be a good way to capitalize on Strevelers athleticism.

Thinking Jake Harty is going to see more offensive reps for the Lions than some might be expecting as well mostly for his blocking ability. Kind of a smaller version of David Mackie. Re-watching the Grey Cup he had a good game that day for the Als.
It'd be naive in the extreme to think that the Bombers bringing back Chris Streveler are relegating him to just short yardage and aren't thinking creatively on how to use his talents. I think the Bombers offense with Buck Pierce at the helm has taken their playbook every year since Lapo and added options to fit the talent they have. If he was lined up at a REC slot I'd not be surprised even mildly!!!!

IF any CFL coaches are thinking they'll see him on short yardage only, they're freaking delusional!

Would it also be naive to think BC Lions will figure out schemes to run more successfully more often? Hmmm. Not sure. The jury is out on that one as I've seen coaches who have the plays but simply don't call them as their QB wants to pass only.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:14 pm
^^^LOL.
To me, "smashmouth" football is old school where they had a RB and a FB who was mostly a lead blocker, but sometimes a pass receiver, and sometimes a ball carrier.
You only have to do it once for it to be sometimes and keep the defense guessing. Like a lot of things "timing" is key.

Now and then with a guy like Mackie could work out well. Seems at times going to an under used player can lead to big plays and momentum for the team. Calvin McCarty made a career of it in Edmonton so you would think Maksymic would have it in his playbook. Or was that Jason Maas?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:54 pm
It'd be naive in the extreme to think that the Bombers bringing back Chris Streveler are relegating him to just short yardage and aren't thinking creatively on how to use his talents. I think the Bombers offense with Buck Pierce at the helm has taken their playbook every year since Lapo and added options to fit the talent they have. If he was lined up at a REC slot I'd not be surprised even mildly!!!!

IF any CFL coaches are thinking they'll see him on short yardage only, they're freaking delusional!
Just have look back to how they used him in 2019. They quite often brought him out in short yardage situations and left him out there for the next 3 or 4 plays. Lapo may have been the OC but O'Shea is still the HC and Lapo's understudy then, Buck Pierce, is now OC. I fully expect them to use Streveler for much more than short yardage situations.
don corleone
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Would it also be naive to think BC Lions will figure out schemes to run more successfully more often? Hmmm. Not sure. The jury is out on that one as I've seen coaches who have the plays but simply don't call them as their QB wants to pass only.
One thing about Vernon Adams is how time and again he has shown commitment to the team. Stats along with money will not deter him from using all tools available to win games. Sometimes it takes the whole game but there is no quit. My guess is he spoke up on behalf of Stanback and will want to see him do well. Wishing both a healthy year.

Not totally counting out Mizzel yet either as a utility guy / KR2. He may have to play special teams to make the roster,
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:16 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
One thing about Vernon Adams is how time and again he has shown commitment to the team. Stats along with money will not deter him from using all tools available to win games. Sometimes it takes the whole game but there is no quit. My guess is he spoke up on behalf of Stanback and will want to see him do well. Wishing both a healthy year.

Not totally counting out Mizzel yet either as a utility guy / KR2. He may have to play special teams to make the roster,
Adams is an elite team guy and leader. He displayed that while he was with Montreal when he flew about a dozen of his team mates out to his Seattle/Tacoma area home in the offseason for a session of working out and team bonding.

I think Mizzell is in tough to see playing time. He may be used in a role similar to that of Anthony Allen who was called upon to suit up for a few games when Wally wanted to give Jeremiah Johnson a game off to rest. I see Lawrence Woods as being leading candidate for field corner and KR2 to Williams.

Right now I have BC's starting Americans as 3 WR, 2 OL, 1 RB, 3 DL, 2 LB and 4 DB. 2 spots will go to KR and P leaving 3 more depth spots. 1 for sure will be on the DL with LB and DB likely being the other 2. If they went for something different in the final 2 spots (LB or DB) I think they'd be more likely to add a WR over a RB.
don corleone
Starter

Surprises me how the line gets drawn and some get paid and some don't.

It would be a shame if A.C. Leonard retires because he can't find a team willing to pay him if in fact that is the issue. I can see Edmonton having cap concerns and also feeling as if they can recruit well enough to fill the hole. Jones could find two for the price of A.C. Seems every other Western team has a hole to fill and would benefit from his presence.

A desperate team with a weak pass rush may come calling yet. He's been a good player.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 am
Surprises me how the line gets drawn and some get paid and some don't.

It would be a shame if A.C. Leonard retires because he can't find a team willing to pay him if in fact that is the issue. I can see Edmonton having cap concerns and also feeling as if they can recruit well enough to fill the hole. Jones could find two for the price of A.C. Seems every other Western team has a hole to fill and would benefit from his presence.

A desperate team with a weak pass rush may come calling yet. He's been a good player.
Leonard could be this year's Shawn Lemon, a proven performer who sits on the sidelines until a team with a sudden need and available cap space comes calling during the regular season. Lemon had 9 sacks last year in Montreal despite just being picked up in Week 8.