Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:38 am
SMS or not, I think the club has moved on from Lucky. I don't discount the fan identification he brings but there are younger, cheaper options out there. I was surprised to learn that his catches to targets % last year was 65.91%, about middle of the pack for the Leos, just slightly above Hatch (64.46%) but obviously nowhere as good as Cottoy (83.82%). My perception was that Lucky dropped a lot of passes last year.

The club has signed a lot of American free agent receivers this off-season. We shall see whether they can match Lucky's speed but at 32 (this June), he's not getting any faster.

DH :cool:
Catches to targets % can be deceiving. Much depends on target depth. Cottoy's crazy percentage was in large part due to his average target depth being only 7.4 yards compared to Rhymes at 18.3, McInnis at 15.2, Hatcher at 14.3, Hollins 13.8 and Lucky at 13.1. The shorter the target depth the higher the percentage of completion. Lucky probably gets more of a mixed bag of deep balls and short targets. 20 of his 88 targets were for 20+ yards. At the same time it seems like he gets more short swing passes than anybody other than Cottoy in hopes he can beat the first guy and gain YAC from there.

Adams had the CFL's highest average pass depth at 12.5 yards but completed only 44.9% of 20+ yard targets. Amongst qualifiers (150+ pass attempts) Tre Ford of all people led the CFL with a 47.2% completion rate on 20+ yard targets edging out Chad Kelly at 47.1%.

Agreed on Lucky's speed. It's not what it used to be 3 years ago. It doesn't take much more than a loss of 1/2 of a step to turn burner speed into just good speed and those recurring ankle injuries may have sapped him of that 1/2 step.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:39 pm

Hopefully Nathan Rourke doesn't return to the CFL anytime soon and end up having to play for Hamilton.
/FTFY
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:31 am
don corleone wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:39 pm

Hopefully Nathan Rourke doesn't return to the CFL anytime soon and end up having to play for Hamilton.
/FTFY
Had me on a bit of a chase Cro. First I had to Google FTFY to find out what that meant then had to find the original post to find out what you fixed. :wink:

As for Rourke the main reason for NFL crickets on him up until now is that as an ERFA (Exclusive Rights Free Agent) he can only sign with New England. If the Pats don't sign him before the opening of the new NFL business season on March 15th (give or take a day or two) THEN, and not before then, he can sign with any of the other 31 teams. It actually wouldn't surprise me to see him wind up back with the Jags. He might not consider them his first option but he wouldn't turn them down if he preferred them to other situations being offered.

My over/under on him returning to the CFL is for the 2026 season if he hasn't secured himself a #2 spot by then. I don't foresee him not continuing to get opportunities until then.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:25 pm

Regardless I do believe the Lions will attempt to start the season with Hollins, Cottoy, McInnis and two CFL newcomers starting with Harty being the primary back up for all 5 as I think they will dress only 6 with Williams serving as a 7th in a pinch. One area of strength in Rigmaiden's group has been ability to find receivers. At the same time having a bunch of veterans on the 46 has been a roadblock to getting guys like Hatcher then Hollins into the lineup until well into the season and only thanks to injuries to starters. Personally I like the idea of filling Hatcher's spot and the other vacancy with newcomer(s) to the CFL versus plugging up the depth chart with veteran(s) who are on the decline.

The list of remaining FA receivers, including ages on Week 1, is fairly thin. Several big names in there almost of them having their best years in the rear view mirror. I include the first 6 in the following plus Wieneke as being past their best before date. Phillips is the one name that could be interesting.

BCL WHITEHEAD Lucky A - 32
EDM ARCENEAUX Emmanuel A - 36
HAM WALKER Derel A - 32
HAM WILLIAMS D’haquille A - 31
MTL ELLINGSON Greg A - 35
OTT EVANS Shaq A - 33
OTT MARINER Siaosi A - 27
SSK WIENEKE, Jake A - 29
TOR PHILLIPS Cameron A - 28
WPG GRANT Janarion A - 30

BCL PETERMANN Daniel N - 28
CGY HUNCHAK Colton N - 26
HAM MAYALA Hergy N - 28
HAM OSEI-KUSI Chris N - 26
OTT SMITH Tevaun N - 31
SSK BRESCACIN Juwan N - 31

I never saw Purifoy as being a Campbell favourite. If anything the way Purifoy left Ottawa most here were surprised to see him resurface in BC. As it was the reunification lasted only one season with Purifoy losing his SAM job to Rugamba half way through the season.
Good post. Hollins, Cottoy, and McInnis all had career years last season but don't really scare me as a core group going forward. If there was only one spot to fill it's a different story. Plus having depth in the event of another injury needs to be considered. I'd be looking for one more experienced guy. From your list I might go with a west coast connection and give Shaq Evans a call but don't see him as an upgrade on Lucky. Steven Dunbar obviously would cost more.

The other side is having openings will attract higher end talent looking for a chance to play. Austin Mack comes to mind. Having a good QB is another reason to sign.

Also think at times talent is not the priority with Rick Campbell. Purifoy along with Shawn Lemon or two seemed to not fit the mould of what he was looking for despite All Star level capabilities. I don't think he thought too much of Lucky's flash to be honest. Lucky was a Rigmaiden guy. I hope he finds a spot.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:00 pm
Good post. Hollins, Cottoy, and McInnis all had career years last season but don't really scare me as a core group going forward. If there was only one spot to fill it's a different story. Plus having depth in the event of another injury needs to be considered. I'd be looking for one more experienced guy. From your list I might go with a west coast connection and give Shaq Evans a call but don't see him as an upgrade on Lucky. Steven Dunbar obviously would cost more.

The other side is having openings will attract higher end talent looking for a chance to play. Austin Mack comes to mind. Having a good QB is another reason to sign.

Also think at times talent is not the priority with Rick Campbell. Purifoy along with Shawn Lemon or two seemed to not fit the mould of what he was looking for despite All Star level capabilities. I don't think he thought too much of Lucky's flash to be honest. Lucky was a Rigmaiden guy. I hope he finds a spot.
Evans is too risky. Since his excellent breakout year back in 2019 he's constantly struggled with injuries. More than half of his CFL GP came in his first 2 seasons 2018 & 2019 when he played full 18 game campaigns. In the 3 years since Covid he's missed at least 6 games every year for a total of 21 out of 50 possible GP spent in the tub. He chalked up 72 catches for 1334 yards and 5 TDs in 2019. Since then 94 catches for 1062 yards and 2 TDs over the 29 games he managed to play. Turning 33 in a week it would be a huge gamble to think he can suddenly hold it together for a full season. Again I'd rather invest the risk on somebody much younger with upside rather than somebody with only downside.

Mack or Dunbar would be nice but expensive. Atlanta was very aggressive in pursuing Mack indicating a good chance of sticking. Even if he were to shake loose after NFL training camp you can bet he'd be looking for money that would make him one of the 3 highest paid CFL receivers and certainly the highest paid BC receiver. Maybe he warrants that. Regardless by the time he might shake loose down there Hatcher should be very close to returning. That Dunbar hasn't signed yet could be indication he too is looking for top dollar. He was the CFL's 3rd highest paid receiver last year. Personally I'm not expecting Hatcher back before mid-September. Maybe Lions staff know better on that but I think it's probably too early to know if he's ahead of schedule despite being close to 4 months down the recovery road.

Lucky might be a Rigmaiden guy from his Director of College Scouting stint in Winnipeg but it was Campbell & McEvoy who signed him in free agency and re-negotiated his deals since then. Rigmaiden may have pushed for the initial signing but obviously Campbell & McEvoy have liked what he brought at least up to this point in his career.
don corleone
Starter

Manny will play for league minimum and perform beyond expectations. Just the way he is. Could always IR him and use him as a positional coach plus depth insurance if they wanted to capitalize on the good will he has with the local market and felt he might have a future with the club.

One of Sask's bigger 2019 mistakes IMO was signing Jordan Williams Lambert and taking Manny out of the lineup to fit JWL in.

I might invite himto camp and watch him win a job but would preferably go younger.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I initially thought the door was still slightly open for Lucky’s return but began to realize he would have to shave at least $50,000 off his $170,000 2023 salary. Unless it was loaded with performance incentives, how would anyone do at their job working for the same employer after taking a significant paycut?
Should have seen the writing on the wall long ago. Hollins and McInnis were both viewed as more valuable by season’s end when he was essentially benched for the latter. When the return game needed a spark mid-season he should have been pleading his case to get back to his earlier role at least part-time knowing he was playing for a new contract, not just in BC but potentially elsewhere.

I do feel sorry for Woody Baron. A very late salary related cut after what was a very solid season based on PFF numbers and who knows where his future in the league is now.
don corleone
Starter

A lull in the action to say the least with good players yet to be signed.

Still think A.C. Leonard ends up back with the Elks and it's just a matter of at what price. Odd that it has dragged on this long. Believe Winnipeg would be interested as well to replace Jeffcoat who isn't much older but can't see how it would work.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:51 pm
A lull in the action to say the least with good players yet to be signed.

Still think A.C. Leonard ends up back with the Elks and it's just a matter of at what price. Odd that it has dragged on this long. Believe Winnipeg would be interested as well to replace Jeffcoat who isn't much older but can't see how it would work.
Could be a case of Leonard trying to squeeze out one more decent payday and might be pricing himself out of the market at a time when teams have already done their big spending. Keep in mind he was the 6th highest paid DE in 2023 making a bit more than Jeffcoat. One would think if Winnipeg had the money for Leonard they would have made things work with Jeffcoat.......or still could.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I've been having trouble signing in lately. It seems the site was down maybe.

For those wondering about Rourke staying in NE, Dave Naylor spoke to his agent and it sort of/kind of sounds like he'll be in a position to actually compete for a non PR spot.
Quarterbacks Caleb Williams, Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels didn't participate in drills at this weekend's NFL Combine. Dave Naylor and Davis Sanchez share their thoughts on these decisions, discuss whose stock improved at the Combine, as well as Canadian Nathan Rourke's future with the Patriots.
Naylor says the Rourke camp/agent sees this as positive incuding how the OC Alex Van Pelt saw him workout for Cleveland. Thinking about it a bit more. He saw him work out but didn't take him...lol.

Summing it out. Rourke is not afraid of competition and just wants a chance to compete for a role on the active roster unlike where he was with the Jags and Beathard was always going to be no. 2 (my sense not his).

https://www.tsn.ca/nfl/video/~2865262
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:14 pm
The CBA calls for a minimum of $110,000 per team in player marketing and promotional fees but the overall cap including those fees is $5.635 million, plus a share of any league revenue growth.
$110k min is outside cap. You could spend $1million if your want. Key is this has to be earned, but teams could easily look the other way. Cap is increasing irrelevant last 5 yrs of this cba .. players won’t be complaining. Non-QBs making $200k is normal now. Next year 250k+ will be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:53 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:14 pm
The CBA calls for a minimum of $110,000 per team in player marketing and promotional fees but the overall cap including those fees is $5.635 million, plus a share of any league revenue growth.
$110k min is outside cap. You could spend $1million if your want. Key is this has to be earned, but teams could easily look the other way. Cap is increasing irrelevant last 5 yrs of this cba .. players won’t be complaining. Non-QBs making $200k is normal now. Next year 250k+ will be.
The CBA lists the cap at $5.525 million per team, plus $110,000, for a total of $5.635 million for 2024, rising to $5.998,889 in 2028, the final year of the CBA, not counting the players' share of any increase in league revenue. See Section 30.01 on Page 96:

CFL-CFLPA CBA 2022
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:10 pm
Could be a case of Leonard trying to squeeze out one more decent payday and might be pricing himself out of the market at a time when teams have already done their big spending. Keep in mind he was the 6th highest paid DE in 2023 making a bit more than Jeffcoat. One would think if Winnipeg had the money for Leonard they would have made things work with Jeffcoat.......or still could.
Looks like A.C. was in the $180,000 range last season with a nice signing bonus that put a bit of extra money in his pocket. Finished second in sacks and in general had a good year so no reason to think he should not be grouped in with the 8 or so others that are making $200,000 ish. Believe Orimilade was $250,000.
don corleone
Starter

Marketing dollars at work in Winnipeg no doubt.

There will be an autograph session at the Bomber Store with Chris Streveler and Stanley Bryant.
don corleone
Starter

Seeing Calgary continue to bring in big bodies suggests the rebuild continues and we'll see a different team in 2024. Not really anything new with the exception of more spots open this year particularly on the O line and wondering about Hugh Thornton and Jamaal Campbell who appear to have not been re-signed. Dedrick Mills on an ELC is a bonus. Outside chance he ends up as leading rusher.

Also wondering if Winnipeg has plans to use Chris Streveler as a receiver to get him on the field more often than just relegating him to short yardage. I could see him being good at running interference down field ala Rasheed Bailey who will do the same thing in Toronto. Would also be a good way to capitalize on Strevelers athleticism.

Thinking Jake Harty is going to see more offensive reps for the Lions than some might be expecting as well mostly for his blocking ability. Kind of a smaller version of David Mackie. Re-watching the Grey Cup he had a good game that day for the Als.