West Final: Lions at Bombers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:15 pm
The Lions aren't winning this game. The defensive scheme isn't built to stop whichever of the two Bombers offenses show up, which I would imagine will be the run heavy one, and the Bombers O Line is better than the Lions D line. They can beat us by out muscling us in the run, or they can beat us by out scheming us in the air and in man to man battles. They've shown they can do both, and I believe they'll choose the former path this week.

This defensive base alignment, which shifted to more of a Stubler style bend but don't break at mid year, which neither stopped the run nor stopped Winnipeg's passing attack late in the season. It's not a winning strategy this week either, especially when paired with this offense, which is chunk gain driven rather than TOP driven.
You’re welcome.

I anticipate the same conversation around this time next year as well.
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:22 pm
I’ve been a Lions’ fan since 1963, and lived through a lot of lean years when the team wasn’t competitive. Despite the finish, the 2023 Lions have been one of the most exciting teams to watch in 60 years. The entertainment on the field,
in the stadium and engagement in the community has been top notch. I plan to be in the stands at Hillside Stadium for training camp next May and in B.C. Place for the Grey Cup next November. This team has a solid nucleus of players. I hope the Lions’ braintrust can find the missing pieces to get them over the hump and into the big game.
I agree and appreciate your optimism. The Bombers are a powerhouse, solid from top to bottom. We are knocking on the door but missing a few key pieces. I think we have good coaches and management in place for the most part. Looking forward to next year.
David
Team Captain

My worst fears when I watched both (non-contact) injuries have been realized. Just brutal. I wonder if TJ now calls it a career?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:37 pm
My worst fears when I watched both (non-contact) injuries have been realized. Just brutal. I wonder if TJ now calls it a career?

There is speculation that Bighill's injury is also an Achilles tear. At 35, that could be it for his career.
Walt67
Starter

Lion Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:38 pm
I have invested too much in this crap over the years. Been going to games since 63. Every year I get excited around May to see what the new year has in store. I might be done now.

I don’t think as I age I can do this anymore. They are just so frustrating.

It's interesting you write this. As I get older - I started watching in 63 as well - I find I stop watching the TV coverage earlier in games, and go for a stress-releasing walk while I listen to the loss on the radio outside, which is far less stressful.

It doesn't help that things started going south almost three months ago and we fully expected the depressing conclusion we got.
David
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:04 pm
We had Butler. He was a stud both running and pass catching. Why did we move from him? The line has been as issue for years. Both of them. Why we don’t address these things is beyond me.
We couldn't afford him. At least not without dropping salary elsewhere (which in hindsight could have been Lucky but he was a valuable piece today when Hatch went down). Hamilton paid pretty big bucks for Butler in their Grey Cup year. We opted to put those $$ elsewhere. I am not a fan of overpaying for a running back.

In theory, the RB position is one of the easiest positions to find talent. I won't put it all on the RBs as we played Williams, Mizzell, LaFrance, Shivers, and Hardy with mostly similar results. But RB talent, Oline talent, or scheme, we need to fix this in 2024 as we had the fewest rushing yards per game in 2023.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:50 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
We had Butler. He was a stud both running and pass catching. Why did we move from him? The line has been as issue for years. Both of them. Why we don’t address these things is beyond me.
We couldn't afford him. At least not without dropping salary elsewhere (which in hindsight could have been Lucky but he was a valuable piece today when Hatch went down). Hamilton paid pretty big bucks for Butler in their Grey Cup year. We opted to put those $$ elsewhere. I am not a fan of overpaying for a running back.

In theory, the RB position is one of the easiest positions to find talent. I won't put it all on the RBs as we played Williams, Mizzell, LaFrance, Shivers, and Hardy with mostly similar results. But RB talent, Oline talent, or scheme, we need to fix this in 2024 as we had the fewest rushing yards per game in 2023.

Butler had 6 carries for 4 yards in last year’s Western Final. It’s the combination of the scheme and an offensive line that isn’t physical enough. Ironically it’s built around 2 former Bombers in Chungh and Couture and they don’t miss either of them.

Three potential ruptured Achilles in the same game including 2 on non-contact plays says something was wrong with the field
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:50 pm
Lion Guy wrote:

Ordinarily I wouldn’t have an issue with what you write, considering that a running game takes pressure off the passing game and is valuable in playoffs Butler would have made a big difference. Whitehead is now a bust and in hindsight should have been gone. Anyway. Doesn’t matter. We blew it. Again.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The warts that have been on display all season was again evident in this game.

- inability to stop the run

- lack of a running game

- poor playcalling. Why did it took 57 minutes for Rhymes to see the ball ? I don't believe Cottoy was even targeted.

- poor situational awareness. Adams looked tentative (AGAIN !). Hang on to the ball too long resulting in his getting sacked 9 times.
maxlion
Legend

I thought Butler was underwhelming in his first year here, though he showed just enough promise near the end of the year to bring back for a second year. He seems like a smart player with a knack for finding the holes. Still, I am not sure he is in the same class as Oliveira, Ouellette, Carey, Brown, Stanback. I think next year Maksymic will emphasize the run a bit more, and I wouldn't be surprised if we sign a more experienced back.
maxlion
Legend

At the start of the year, our big two receivers were Rhymes and Whitehead. At the end of the year, both had taken a backseat to Hatcher and Hollins, which speaks to our ability to find talent. We may see a shakeup to the receiving core over the off season, perhaps to emphasize a more balanced offense.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:15 pm
At the start of the year, our big two receivers were Rhymes and Whitehead. At the end of the year, both had taken a backseat to Hatcher and Hollins, which speaks to our ability to find talent. We may see a shakeup to the receiving core over the off season, perhaps to emphasize a more balanced offense.
Agreed. Rhymes and Whitehead never fully regained their form after injuries. Hatcher’s injury puts a big dent in next year’s plans. If it’s a ruptured Achilles he could miss a full season. McInnis has shown that he deserves a spot in the starting lineup next year. I hope Cottoy is back as well.
almo89
Legend

It's frustrating when Collaros had another so so Western Final and still won the game. The Bombers were so good in all other phases that their QB didn't need to be great. VA had to be absolutely purrfect for the Lions to win and that's not a winning recipe. The defense finally adjusted after the first quarter, but the Lions offense couldn't muster any momentum. It was hard to see on TV, but when I saw VA hanging on to the ball for so long, I got the feeling that the so called best receiver corps in the league couldn't get any separation.
David
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:40 pm
It was hard to see on TV, but when I saw VA hanging on to the ball for so long, I got the feeling that the so called best receiver corps in the league couldn't get any separation.
We can't hang the 9 sacks all on the Oline. You're right, VA often hung onto the ball long instead of throwing it away or taking off (I believe, looking for the "purrfect" pass). 4 or 5 sacks can be at the feet of the Oline, but I think when you get 9 (!) it's on the OC for not scheming some outlet passes (Hello?? Cottoy? Mackie?), draw plays, screens etc.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
almo89
Legend

David wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:22 pm
almo89 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:40 pm
It was hard to see on TV, but when I saw VA hanging on to the ball for so long, I got the feeling that the so called best receiver corps in the league couldn't get any separation.
We can't hang the 9 sacks all on the Oline. You're right, VA often hung onto the ball long instead of throwing it away or taking off (I believe, looking for the "purrfect" pass). 4 or 5 sacks can be at the feet of the Oline, but I think when you get 9 (!) it's on the OC for not scheming some outlet passes (Hello?? Cottoy? Mackie?), draw plays, screens etc.

Yeah for sure. Last week VA was using his check downs and screens to Mizell. They really needed that today to alleviate some of that pressure. Since the Lions didn't do it much, Winnipeg just pinned their ears back and went for it. Also sad that VA hurt his knee early which is probably the reason why we didn't see many roll outs and him taking off for key first downs like he did last week.