Lions vs. Stamps Oct. 20, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions close out their 2023 regular season at home Friday night against Calgary in a game that could have playoff implications for both teams.

Despite being pulled with a knee injury in the fourth quarter last week in Hamilton, Vernon Adams practised all week and is listed as starting quarterback. The offence is unchanged from last week, with JaQuan Hardy getting his second start at running back and Taquan Mizzell listed on the 1-game injured list. Keon Hatcher was listed as questionable in the team's final injury report on Thursday but he is in the starting lineup at his usual boundary slotback position.

On defence, Adrian Greene (knee) moves to the 1-game injured list after starting the past 2 games at safety. Quincy Mauger, who started at safety most of the season, returns to the position. Mike Jones remains at cornerback for a second week in place of Jalon Edwards-Cooper (shoulder), who is on the 6-game injured list. DE/ST Josh Archibald comes off the injured list to take Greene's roster spot. There are no other personnel changes.

Lions depth chart and roster
almo89
Legend

Even though it's 99% chance that the Lions won't host the Western Final, they still need to try to come out and win and force Winnipeg to play instead of resting their guys early. If the Lions lose tomorrow, Winnipeg will start resting guys against Edmonton.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:51 am
Even though it's 99% chance that the Lions won't host the Western Final, they still need to try to come out and win and force Winnipeg to play instead of resting their guys early. If the Lions lose tomorrow, Winnipeg will start resting guys against Edmonton.
And if the Lions lose tomorrow it would give the Stamps confidence and momentum headed into a likely rematch with the Lions at B.C. Place in two weeks. For various reasons, including attendance, I would much rather see the Lions host Saskatchewan in the WSF if they can’t overtake the Bombers first place.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:35 pm
almo89 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:51 am
And if the Lions lose tomorrow it would give the Stamps confidence and momentum headed into a likely rematch with the Lions at B.C. Place in two weeks. For various reasons, including attendance, I would much rather see the Lions host Saskatchewan in the WSF if they can’t overtake the Bombers first place.
Calgary coached by Dave Dickenson is a perplexing team to attempt to figure out.
Is Jake Maier simply not the next great QB or is he still developing and will get it right in the next season or so? If I were a Stamps fan, not sure I'd be happen.
Is Dave D. doing too many jobs now?

Neither of the next two games are likely to be gimmes.

I sure hope starting Vernon Adams is because he 's just fine and another hit won't take him out.
If there were a time to get Dane Evans comfortable, it'd be starting him with the understanding that both will most likely play. I know most HC's in the CFL start their no.1.

A Stampeders win would bolster their confidence with the offset that is often said (not sure it's been proven statistically) that it's tough to beat the same opponent twice in back-to-back games. Offsetting that is both games will be Home games for the Lions and that's an advantage.

Back-to-back football games give football players of both teams heightened familiarity of how the players opposite to them react in given situations. Makes film study easier. Pass defenders who've seen how a REC attacks them by going over or under them is an example. But REC also see how defenders react so both have more data points.

However, if an opponent reacts by showing variations on their key themes it improves their chances of a win in the second game. Like if the Lions were to open with a play from the past with Lyle Green the FB taking a pass on the opening play of the game.

A good example of theme variation which I'm a big proponent of in sports is how the Bombers blew out BC in the second game where they showed max protection to mask they were going for the bombs. That was effective in that game.

The Bombers offense has a lot of variations in themes that give their OFF differing looks but they are still running the same play - just a different look.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

My key questions for this match-up are:

* Can we match Calgary's intensity? Their playoff lives are on the line while we are more-or-less ensconced in 2nd place (yea, I know there is a mathematical possibility for first place. But I also don't buy lotto tickets for the very same reason).

* We know one player who will be 'fired up' is the ever-dangerous Matthieu Betts as he looks to set the CFL sack record for Canadians. I am sure the Stamps don't want it to happen on their watch. A great match-up to keep an eye on. Coker vs. Betts. One thing Betts has in his favour is that Maier is not very mobile.

* How much of the game will VA play? I still think it's foolish and risky to put him out there given how much he was limping, but he is just 347 yards away from 5,000. Are there bonuses for this milestone?

* Can our Leos finally(!) get the run game going? Club is going with Hardy for the second straight game. We would be even more dangerous if there was a serious run threat and we could play-action. One thing that impressed me with Hardy (vs. Mizzell) was his pass-catching/running in space and his blocking.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I would like to see Adams start, just to test his knee, but have Evans take most of the snaps.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN
TEAM CAPTAIN
Lions vs. Stamps Oct. 20, 2023
Unread post THU OCT 19, 2023 9:14 AM

The Lions close out their 2023 regular season at home Friday night against Calgary in a game that could have playoff implications for both teams.

Despite being pulled with a knee injury in the fourth quarter last week in Hamilton, Vernon Adams practised all week and is listed as starting quarterback. The offence is unchanged from last week, with JaQuan Hardy getting his second start at running back and Taquan Mizzell listed on the 1-game injured list. Keon Hatcher was listed as questionable in the team's final injury report on Thursday but he is in the starting lineup at his usual boundary slotback position.

On defence, Adrian Greene (knee) moves to the 1-game injured list after starting the past 2 games at safety. Quincy Mauger, who started at safety most of the season, returns to the position. Mike Jones remains at cornerback for a second week in place of Jalon Edwards-Cooper (shoulder), who is on the 6-game injured list. DE/ST Josh Archibald comes off the injured list to take Greene's roster spot. There are no other personnel changes.
I'm happy to see Hardy get a second start and see what he can do, now that he has had a feel of a CFL game. No question that we need a more balanced offensive attack if we get the opportunity to play outside in the cold in the playoffs.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Defence picking up right they have left off since August
MacNews
Team Captain

Defense giving up 10 yards per rush.
MacNews
Team Captain

I have yet to see TSN disclose the penalty when they say "We'll cover the penalty when we come back".
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And the poop show continues.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Should have sat this one out VA absolutely awful. Where the hell is Rhymes? Targeted just twice last week and still not seeing the ball so far without Hatcher
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Great tackling guys.
MacNews
Team Captain

Wow what an atrocious quarter, and a home game at that.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Okay, 10-0, 2 sacks, a pick, no first downs, and I believe negative yardage for the quarter. Complete and utter garbage.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.