Nathan Rourke may dress

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Walt67
Starter

Hi all,
(I perhaps should have posted this in another section - but posting here as the Lions still have Nathan's CFL rights.)
With news that Trevor Lawrence is dealing with a "day-to-day" injury and may not dress this weekend - 3DownNation is reporting that Nathan may be activated from the practice roster and dress for this weekend's Jacksonville game.
A key factor is the Jaguars face a short week, playing Thursday, which gives Lawrence less time to recover.
If Rourke does dress for his first regular-season NFL tilt, he will be second on the roster behind veteran C J Beathard.
Walt67
Starter

Updating - as you may have read - Nathan Rourke has now been moved to the active roster for Jacksonville and will dress for the Thursday game against the Saints.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Walt67 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:14 pm
Updating - as you may have read - Nathan Rourke has now been moved to the active roster for Jacksonville and will dress for the Thursday game against the Saints.
With Rourke dressing and it being a short practice week, does that mean Trevor Lawrence will not dress or does it mean Jags will be dressing 3 QBs?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lawrence is listed as questionable but says he expects to play. Rourke will be the emergency third quarterback if Lawrence plays or will back up C.J. Beathard if Lawrence is out. Either way, he gets paid for the week.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... t-football
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:34 pm
Lawrence is listed as questionable but says he expects to play. Rourke will be the emergency third quarterback if Lawrence plays or will back up C.J. Beathard if Lawrence is out. Either way, he gets paid for the week.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... t-football

It'd be nice to see Rourke get a shot and actually play but .... we all the know the rest.
His quest for NFL play is still in the early stages unless the starter or back up go down. BUT, it can happen in football and Rourke is playing the long game there.
Lawrence has never missed a game in his four seasons, playing all 40 games. He missed only two games in his college career at Clemson, both in 2020, because of a neck injury and COVID-19.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:01 pm
Walt67 wrote:
With Rourke dressing and it being a short practice week, does that mean Trevor Lawrence will not dress or does it mean Jags will be dressing 3 QBs?
As far as I know the way it works for Jax to consider using Rourke even as a 3rd QB on a last minute basis or mid-game emergency replacement they first must activate him onto the 53 man active roster. Once there he becomes an option to be dressed as the 3rd QB. That leaves more options open to the Jags pending Lawrence's status.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:21 pm
DanoT wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:01 pm
Walt67 wrote:
As far as I know the way it works for Jax to consider using Rourke even as a 3rd QB on a last minute basis or mid-game emergency replacement they first must activate him onto the 53 man active roster. Once there he becomes an option to be dressed as the 3rd QB. That leaves more options open to the Jags pending Lawrence's status.
Sounds right from what I am reading.
Clubs can have 53 players on the active roster, but only 48 can dress for a game. The new rule will let teams dress 48 players for contests plus a third signal-caller. The emergency quarterback must be on the 53-man roster and can't be a practice squad call-up.
The extra signal-caller can only enter a contest if the two other quarterbacks are injured or disqualified, and he must exit if either quarterback is cleared to re-enter the game.
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2652156

TSN's Farhan Lalji adds that this is not a standard practice squad "elevation" where the player returns to the practice squad following the game. The club has signed Rourke to the main roster, indicating they could keep him for additional weeks.

Rourke would accrue a season if he dresses for three games, meaning his next contract would be for a minimum of $900,000.
https://www.tsn.ca/jacksonville-jaguars ... -1.2022639
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I see the Jaguars game is on TSN tonight.
Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Pederson told ESPN's Ed Werder he expects quarterback Trevor Lawrence to start Thursday night against the New Orleans Saints, pending a pregame workout.
Is there little likelihood of seeing Nathan Rourke without both QBs getting knocked out of the game?
Maybe, no.

Or, CJB can't move the ball and Rourke cames in and shoots the lights out!

ESPN Jags depth chart shows the starter as Q as in Questionable.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/n ... le-jaguars
C.J. Beathard took the majority of the Jaguars' first-team reps at practice this week and would start for Jacksonville if Lawrence doesn't play. Beathard is in his third season with the Jaguars after spending his first three years with the 49ers.

He has a 2-10 career record as a starter.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/386 ... ource-says
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Don't hold me to it but I think Jax could dress 3 QBs on their game roster of 48 and be able to use them. However if they carried Rourke as the 3rd emergency QB who is on the 53 but not game roster they could bring him in to play but only if Lawrence and Beathard are declared out for the rest of the game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Justin Dunk, Rourke is listed as inactive. He can only play if Lawrence and Beathard are unavailable.

https://x.com/jdunk12/status/1715139570 ... gGjb_94D6A
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Saw him in his jersey after a Jag score 4th Q
Wear orange or wear nothing
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Jags looked good in the 1st half but the O bogged down a bit in the 2nd half. At no time did Lawrence look like his knee was bothering him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:47 pm
Don't hold me to it but I think Jax could dress 3 QBs on their game roster of 48 and be able to use them. However if they carried Rourke as the 3rd emergency QB who is on the 53 but not game roster they could bring him in to play but only if Lawrence and Beathard are declared out for the rest of the game.
I saw Rourke in a photo also not far behind Lawrence as I think it was before they came out. He was wearing a ball cap in that pic. If not, it's my eyesight lol.

Hambone, I'm sure the rule is if one of the two QBs is out of the game and cannot play, the 3rd can then play.

But that QB must not play IF the first of two QBs comes back into the game.

Saw a stat that Derek Carr tossed 14 passes on 3rd down and got only 1 first down from that. Wow.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rourke has been signed back on to Jacksonville's practice squad.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/ja ... 4b8c&ei=67
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:29 pm
Rourke has been signed back on to Jacksonville's practice squad.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/ja ... 4b8c&ei=67

This triggered a thought.

My sense is that the Jaguars will take care in elevating Rourke given that each time he comes back he's open on the waiver wire and they only have 3 QBs under contract.

As Rourke said, he needed film on him from the pre-season. I assume his first objective has to be on the Jags active roster with the subsidiary objective of getting some regular season tape on him.

As I think about the rule the Jags probably don't want a 3rd QB eating a roster spot so that means they also don't want to needlessly expose their 3rd QB to waivers unless they have no choice.