Lions at Ticats Oct. 13, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a clutch game-winning drive by Dane Evans. He was 4 of 4 to set up the winning FG despite a late holding penalty.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Way to go Evans. That was clutch.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Character win. Overcame horrible officiating and what has alarmingly become a very passive defence
almo89
Legend

I thought that holding would kill us, but Evans with a quick pass to Hatcher with 1 second left was clutch.
Clash Dance
Rookie

Win or lose, we need to figure out our D and Oline. I hope I'm wrong, but we may not make the west final, especially if Harris is back. He loves the quick hitter/ short passing game. Ideal against our soft zone, (giving 10 yard cushion). he'll March up and down the field at will.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good to see the Lions learned their lesson from last week. Hatcher going down after the reception
OV:54-40
Starter

Well, a win is a win but hardly overly impressive.

Ticats had no business being in the game cause they got gifted a TD drive on what was an obvious fumble recovered by the Lions - how the goofs in the Command Centre could not get that right is mind numbing.

New RB does not look like any kind of answer - for a big back he was dancing and trying moves instead of powering forward.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have to tighten up on defence. They’ve gone soft and give up too many easy yards and first downs. They’ve allowed an average of over 30 points a game in the second half of the season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JaQuan Hardy didn’t make much of an impact in the running game but he was effective as a receiver and blocker. The Lions had just 10 rushing attempts in the game. Hardy had 8 carries for 26 yards, an average of 3.3 yards per carry, but he had 3 catches for 40 yards and some key first downs. He showed enough to earn another start, IMO.
Walt67
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:30 pm
JaQuan Hardy didn’t make much of an impact in the running game but he was effective as a receiver and blocker. The Lions had just 10 rushing attempts in the game. Hardy had 8 carries for 26 yards, an average of 3.3 yards per carry, but he had 3 catches for 40 yards and some key first downs. He showed enough to earn another start, IMO.
There really wasn't much conviction about using the run. Hardy looked quite good on his first 3-4 carries but then things fizzled. But yes he did look good on some screen and sidelines passes and blocked well on the blitz.
Ron
Starter

Walt67 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:43 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:30 pm
There really wasn't much conviction about using the run. Hardy looked quite good on his first 3-4 carries but then things fizzled. But yes he did look good on some screen and sidelines passes and blocked well on the blitz.
It would be nice to see Hardy run forward too often he was he was floating to one side or the other. Lots of lateral yards, not much forward progress.
Walt67
Starter

Ooh man, that was tough to watch despite the win - and a lot of it came down to penalties - both the ones taken and ones not called.
Both of BLM's first touchdowns were heavily assisted by penalties - including a clear roughing the passer after the ball was long gone. And taking a contacting the kicker when you are struggling to get off the field was dreadful. Leos ended with 98 or 99 yards in flags - not a good way to win games.
All that said, there were a few flagrant non-calls that should have gone the other way. There was the jersey-pulling Pass Interference play in the corner of the end zone (3rd quarter) - plus a blatant offiside on about the second play of the 4th quarter with a T-Cat receiver two yards past the line - and nothing.
Interesting in the post-game show Coach Campbell ignored Moj's call to talk about "all the adversary".
Walt67
Starter

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:13 pm
Well, a win is a win but hardly overly impressive.

Ticats had no business being in the game cause they got gifted a TD drive on what was an obvious fumble recovered by the Lions - how the goofs in the Command Centre could not get that right is mind numbing.

New RB does not look like any kind of answer - for a big back he was dancing and trying moves instead of powering forward.
I was trying to understand the reason for that non-fumble call. Was it a very quick whistle? I think we've all noted that the vast majority of fumbles happen when runners are already in the grasp yet fighting for an extra yard or two - which is when they are vulnerable to the strip.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

almo89 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:07 pm
I thought that holding would kill us, but Evans with a quick pass to Hatcher with 1 second left was clutch.
My buddy and I watching in a PG pub thought Hatcher was way offside on that one but I'll take it. Downside of this win is I still can't book my flights to the WSF/WDF and Grey Cup.....although I realize the odds of Bombers losing their final 2 are up there with me winning LottoMax. ;)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Walt67
Starter

The way that game ended makes you think the Lions should consider a Hamilton-style multiple QB approach. Much like Shiltz was a scary change-up (threatening with the run), Evans looked amazingly poised on his key position. He zipped the ball with accuracy and frankly looked much crisper than VA did in the second half. Up until then, it was all too reminiscent of the latest Bomber loss, with the Lions moving early and then spinning their wheels in the second half. If Evans is always that sharp coming off the bench maybe the change up could be useful.