Bombers-Lions: The Showdown

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

tedbear
Starter

Lots of opportunities missed. I am sure the boys will kick themselves. Broxton went down early in the 3rd quarter, not sure if he came back or not, but our protection seemed to deteriate after that.

Mizzell is not our answer imo as a running back, to small and a terrible blocker.

Davis continues to struggle on 3rd down short yardage.

I thought the officials had a tough game tonight keeping flags in pocket letting the teams settle it.

Even with all that the LIons had a chance to win but a dumb play by Rhymes sealed the deal.

Tough loss and a harder road to get to the Grey cup but this game could have gone either way and if they play again I Am sure the next one will also go to the wire.

Hopefully we can come out on top in that one.
aklawitter
All Star

swervynmerv wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:16 pm
On the postgame show Campbell says that they talked about going down on the last play of the 4th but Rhymes wasn’t there for that talk?? Who’s fault is that??😡
coaches were sleepwalking through the entire 2nd half
Walt67
Starter

It's a long tradition with the Lions that once the fans get really interested for a big game, the team lies a big, fat, smelly egg. The difference is, this time it was the second half instead of a whole game.
Actually, losing this way seemed worse. The Defence was magnificent - causing two massive turnovers against Zac that should have been enough - but the offence seemed determine to lose. I started this danged thread saying what we all knew - lack of even a half-ass running game would kill us - and it did - let's remember that failed third down gamble. (And how about some danged football awareness with 8 seconds left on the clock?!?!!?)
So now the guys can go to Manitoba in 6 weeks and freeze - and think of what could have been.
Last edited by Walt67 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxlion
Legend

Despite getting owned by Oliveira, we were in it until the end. It was close. We outplayed them in several aspects--passing, special teams, turnovers. If not for a mistake by Rhymes at the end, we likely would have won. Like many, I suspected that the run game might make the difference in the end. We have a chance in the western final. The odds are against us but we're not far off.

Fun game to watch! :roar:
Walt67
Starter

maxlion wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:50 pm
Despite getting owned by Oliveira, we were in it until the end. It was close. We outplayed them in several aspects--passing, special teams, turnovers. If not for a mistake by Rhymes at the end, we likely would have won. Like many, I suspected that the run game might make the difference in the end. We have a chance in the western final. The odds are against us but we're not far off.

Fun game to watch! :roar:
Sorry to disagree - we will have no chance at the Winnipeg Ice Palace for the final. We should handle Regina in the semi but no matter what they say publicly, deep down the Lions offence knows it doesn't have the stuff to win that game. I've been watching the Leos since Kapp-Fleming and the second-half implosion by the offence was super-discouraging given what should have been. Even in the first half it was VA making miracle plays when he should have been sacked. And then -Two and out. Two and out. Two and out. Two and out. Sack. Sack. Sack. Sack. Fail on a third and one plunge. Fail to go down to allow for a winning FG.
Again, they have absolutely, 100% no chance of winning that game.
Hopefully they will get some better o-liners and a credible RB as they prepare to host the Grey Cup in '24.
David
Team Captain

I am concerned that the way we lost this game could have a detrimental effect on the club down the stretch.

To have the win (in the biggest game of the season) in the palm of their hands only be snatched away by poor clock awareness to lose in OT may be something they never recover from. Quite debilitating.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:45 pm
swervynmerv wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:43 pm
BC’s lack of a running game is brutal
Also lack of a short yardage package.
Absolutely hate them lining all 12 players in tight on the line of scrimmage. Spread them out; make the defence defend the entire field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:56 pm
Oliviera killing us in the run and receiving
Buck Pierce schooling Jordan Mysksmic
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:00 pm
It’s the same thing every year with this team. No run game, average special teams and costly/untimlynpenalties
It's been the Archilles heel and will cost them in the playoffs. Coaches had all year to rectify the problem and here we are.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Two big plays cost the Lions:

i) kick off out of bounds by Flintoff after the Lions touchdown. Gave the Bombers excellent field position which they immediately capitalize

ii) failed 3rd down conversion by Dominique Davis
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It was disappointing enough that the Lions gave away a winnable game. It hurts the most that they gave it away in so many ways.

1. After moving the ball downfield with ease in the first half and converting most of their second down opportunities, the offence stalled in the second half and overtime, putting up only 6 points when just one touchdown could have given them a two-touchdown lead.

2. The Lions focused on stopping the running of Brady Oliveira and the deep pass but they couldn’t stop the dink-and-dunk RPO game masterminded by Buck Pierce and executed to perfection by Zach Collaros and Oliveira. All game long, Collaros rolled out on play action and threw short to an open Oliveira, Dalton Schoen, Kenny Lawler or Drew Wolitarsky. Oliveira didn’t have many rushing attempts until the dying minutes but he had a purrfect 8 catches on 8 targets for 86 yards, many of them for first downs.

3. Collaros fumbled the ball three times, two of recovered by Sione Teuhema of the Lions to snuff out Winnipeg drives. Collaros also threw an interception to Adrian Greene deep in B.C. territory. Teams should not win games when they squander oppportunities as Colaros did, but the B.C. offence failed to capitalize on that momentum. Again, just one touchdown off a Winnipeg turnover could have helped the Lions put the game away.

4. Vernon Adams did a great job of escaping pressure on many occasions but he was still sacked 6 times for 44 yards. The Lions faced too many second and long situations in the second half. They just kept digging their own grave.

5. Third and short. With less than 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter and Winnipeg out of timeouts, the Lions needed less than a yard for a first down at the Winnipeg 52. Dom Davis and the offensive line couldn’t convert and turned the ball over on downs, allowing the Bombers to drive for the game-tying field goal that forced overtime.

6. With 8 seconds on the clock in a tie game, Vernon Adams completed a deep pass to Dominique Rhymes in scoring territory. If Rhymes had gone down immediately, Sean Whyte could have attempted a game-winning field goal on the final play of regulation. Instead Rhymes saw daylight and took the ball down to the Winnipeg 5-yard line as time expired.

7. On the Bomber possession in overtime, the Lions forced Collaros to throw the ball out of bounds twice. But instead of kicking a field goal, the Bombers got a first down due to an illegal contact penalty on B.C. rookie cornerback Siriman Bagayogo that was called after the pass was thrown away. The Bombers got a first down by penalty, Oliveira scored the winning touchdown and the Lions couldn’t answer.
Alputt
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:37 pm

i) kick off out of bounds by Flintoff after the Lions touchdown. Gave the Bombers excellent field position which they immediately capitalize

I know it never really comes down to one play and I don’t want to pile on, but I’ve seen Davis, and our O line, miss so many of those short yardage situations… I have run out of patience with it and this time I really do see it as the turning point.

I would have rather seen them kick the ball.
Walt67
Starter

Alputt wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:46 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:37 pm

I know it never really comes down to one play and I don’t want to pile on, but I’ve seen Davis, and our O line, miss so many of those short yardage situations… I have run out of patience with it and this time I really do see it as the turning point.
Yes - and every time the Bombers ran a third and short they got 4-6 yards as easily as picking up a dime. I honestly don't know how the offence can look the defensive players in the eyes after that second half, I honestly don't. (And I've been over to the Bomber forum - that sound you hear is laughter coming from Manitoba...)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

When it got tougher in the second half the lack of a run game was evident as it was all on VA's shoulders to not toss anything but purrfect passes.
The Bombers had no problems coming at BC from all over late in the game.

The fumble recovery by 47 Sione Teuhema was great and too bad he wasn't a burner.

BC has to look at two top teams and their run games as these are the two top teams in their divisions for a reason - Bombers and Argos.
You can see the Bombers looking cockier when they're able to push other teams around on runs and tosses.

unLucky Whitehead let that early explosive pass hit his upper body no doubt off his chest pad as that was a catchable ball that should not have got dropped.

There are times this season Dominique Davis on short yardage looks like he has zero confidence. That was a horrible effort from where I sat. Like Hugh Campbell says "never be so arrogant to think that one play or one player wins or loses a football game."

Rhymes I thought was going to score on that play so like other fans we're cheering him on. Only after did my friend who also was on his feet criticize him for not going down. I lost track of the seconds on that play but knew it was something like 8 secs on the snap so I believed we'd be out of time and Rhymes should have gone for the TD. He could have kicked it in and pounced and hoped for a recovery. Lions should practice that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The 2 defying plays for me were the Teuhema return to the Winnipeg 31 after the Baron sack and the offence doing absolutely nothing with it where another TD would have stretched the lead to 14.

Then our 34 year old 3rd stringer not picking up the 1st down on 3rd down with the game in our hands. We needed probably 2 or 3 1st downs and instead gift wrapped the Bombers the ball on the BC 50.

This is another gut punch to the team’s philosophy that its passing game is so good it can overcome an offence that is very one dimensional and spends a good chunk of their salary cap on receivers. For it to have a chance it needs the path to the Grey Cup played in ideal conditions at BC Place, not on a frozen field in Winnipeg where they are destined for a 2nd straight year.

The hype all week about the attendance sure didn’t match the final number. Seems to me there are a good chunk of end zone seats that are counted as sold but really are not ( Save On Foods section?).

Also would like to know how Bo Lokombo has become almost a complete after thought for the 2nd straight year after missing time with an injury. Is our defence really better with him in a minimal role?