Riders @ BC Sept 29, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Steve Ewen at The Province is reporting that both Dominique Rhymes and Bo Lokombo will be suiting up for Friday night's tilt. He also reports that Isaiah Messam is ready to return after spending 7 games on the IR.

Lokombo's return likely means Hinsperger goes back to the PR in a very straight forward adjustment. Obviously Rhymes goes back to his usual slot position. How things shuffle from there remains to be seen. There were some concerns about Manny Rugamba during the Elks game but he is not listed on the injury report from Monday's practice. Global Maxime Rouyer was listed as a limited participant yesterday. I suspect either Rouyer or Petermann will draw the short straw to get Messam back in with the caveat that Chungh's status could make for more moves. Sukh Chungh (ankle) and Dane Evans (back) were listed as DNP yesterday. If Chungh can't go it might be interesting to see who draws in as the 6th DL. Could be Packer or maybe Phil Norman who has been like BC's OL Swiss Army knife the past few seasons. Norman still shows on the 6G but wasn't he back practicing a couple weeks back?

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... is-weekend
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:17 am
Steve Ewen at The Province is reporting that both Dominique Rhymes and Bo Lokombo will be suiting up for Friday night's tilt. He also reports that Isaiah Messam is ready to return after spending 7 games on the IR.

Lokombo's return likely means Hinsperger goes back to the PR in a very straight forward adjustment. Obviously Rhymes goes back to his usual slot position. How things shuffle from there remains to be seen. There were some concerns about Manny Rugamba during the Elks game but he is not listed on the injury report from Monday's practice. Global Maxime Rouyer was listed as a limited participant yesterday. I suspect either Rouyer or Petermann will draw the short straw to get Messam back in with the caveat that Chungh's status could make for more moves. Sukh Chungh (ankle) and Dane Evans (back) were listed as DNP yesterday. If Chungh can't go it might be interesting to see who draws in as the 6th DL. Could be Packer or maybe Phil Norman who has been like BC's OL Swiss Army knife the past few seasons. Norman still shows on the 6G but wasn't he back practicing a couple weeks back?

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... is-weekend
Lokombo is available for active duty this week but can be placed on the 1-game injured list if necessary. Norman has been extended on the 6-game list until Nov. 10. I would expect Tyler Packer to be activated as the sixth lineman. He showed good development in training camp and preseason, playing right guard and centre.

Adding Rhymes and Lokombo to the starting lineup would balance the ratio, with Josh Woods likely returning to a rotational linebacker role as a designated American. Rookie national Ryder Varga has filled that role recently and looked good, particularly against Ottawa when he had 4 defensive tackles, including 2 tackles for loss and a sack.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rhymes hasn't played in quite some time and with his replacement, McInnis doing so well, I home to see them sharing playing time this game until Rhymes is in game shape.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Did Nick Usher dress last Friday? He didn't show up anywhere on the stat sheet but would be the likely American dropped to get Rhymes back on the roster.

Riders look to be getting Lanier back who gave Perkins fits during the loss at Mosiac back in August. They have given up a ton of yards along the ground in their last 3 games (Oliveria 154, Brown 175 and Williams 136). Can Smoke pick up where he left off in Edmonton especially against a good Riders pass rush?

And Lions likely to get no help from the Argos this week with Kelly not playing. Thank goodness the Bombers stumbled in Hamilton a couple of weeks back. Clinching first with six games to spare. Good grief.
David
Team Captain

I would be inclined to put Phillip Norman in Sukh Chungh's spot at RG and start Adrian Greene at safety in place of Quincy Mauger to maintain the ratio. Greene has earned that start with some outstanding special teams work.

Norman is likely a better option against a Rider front that manhandled us with 5 sacks back on August 20 in Regina. Pete Robertson was a beast.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

To answer Sammy Greene’s question, Nick Usher was on the 45-man game roster last week and I believe I caught a glimpse of him on TV. I don’t know much more.

To David’s point, Phil Norman has been placed back on the 6-game injured list until Nov. 10. I wouldn’t expect him to play this year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David Mackie, Dane Evans, Sukh Chungh and Maxime Rouyer have all been ruled out for Friday’s game. The Lions will need to dress another FB or RB but they may give some of Mackie’s reps to Justin McInnis as a tight end or blocking back and extra receiver.

Lions’ injury report
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have juggled their starting lineup due to injuries for Friday’s game but how they’s juggled the defence is surprising. Josh Woods remains listed in the depth chart at weakside linebacker, backed up by Bo Lokombo and Isaiah Messam. The Lions needed to add a national starter to balance the ratio with the return of Dominique Rhymes on offence, so they’s inserted Adrian Greene as starting safety in place of of Quincy Mauger, who moves to SAM and starts ahead of Manny Rugamba.

There are few surprises with the offensive lineup. Rhymes returns to his usual slotback position, relegating Justin McInnis to backup status. Andrew Peirson replces Sukh Chungh (ankle) at right guard and Tyler Packer is activated as backup O-lineman. Kienan LaFramce comes off the 6-game list to replace David Mackie (knee) at fullback. Chase Brice is activated as third-string QB with usual second-stringer Dane Evans (back) out.

Blitz
Team Captain

A number of moves going into this game make sense to me and a couple of them make me wonder.

I am pleasantly surprised that our Leos did not insert Pierson into the left guard position, where he started most of the season and move Knevel over to fill Chungh's spot. That means that our Leos are looking to keep Knevel as our starting left guard for the remainder of the season, if he continues to play well. I think that decision makes our offensive line better.

I have to admit our Leos treatment of Lokombo over the years has often been baffling. We have kept him out of the starting lineup numerous times during his two stints here in B.C. when he was obviously playing at a very high standard and out there as a starter. Perhaps, for this game we are easing him back. I sure hope that is all it is. He has been a key defensive player for us for a number of seasons now.

I anticipated that we would continue with Lucky Whitehead as one of our starters and use McInnis as a backup for Cottoy at one of the three inside slot positions and inserting him into certain packages. Our Leos are not going to upset the 'popular with his teammates' Whitehead and upset team chemistry at this point. As long as McInnis gets some reps, its all good. But inside the red zone I would have big targets as Cottoy and McInnis in the formation and Whitehead on the bench.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:56 am
I anticipated that we would continue with Lucky Whitehead as one of our starters and use McInnis as a backup for Cottoy at one of the three inside slot positions and inserting him into certain packages. Our Leos are not going to upset the 'popular with his teammates' Whitehead and upset team chemistry at this point. As long as McInnis gets some reps, its all good. But inside the red zone I would have big targets as Cottoy and McInnis in the formation and Whitehead on the bench.
I love the idea of using McInnis for Whitehead in the red zone. Whitehead has some of the best hands on the team but his catch radius extends from the chest down. McInnis, Cottoy and Rhymes are all big targets who can block and go up and get jump balls.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:56 am
I have to admit our Leos treatment of Lokombo over the years has often been baffling. We have kept him out of the starting lineup numerous times during his two stints here in B.C. when he was obviously playing at a very high standard and out there as a starter. Perhaps, for this game we are easing him back. I sure hope that is all it is. He has been a key defensive player for us for a number of seasons now.
I hear you Blitz. Last year he was hurt and the Lions opted to continue with Hladik and Williams when he was healthy enough to return. The one year when he at last cracked the starting line-up and put up solid numbers Wally opted not to sign him and he ended up in Montreal.
In an interview this week he said it would be a gradual process getting back up to full speed so I sure hope this is this case with the Bombers showdown looming.

Haven't heard much about ticket sales.
They opened the upper bowl for the first Riders visit back in July, almost prematurely, but I thought the Orange Shirt Day promotion might help the return visit. The Riders' play of late definitely hasn't. Then there's next week which is easy to say will be their biggest regular season game in about a decade. This should be cracking the 30,000 barrier.
But I'm guessing the Friday nights eliminates their out of town bus sales and also keeps other potential out of towners away, like coming from the Island for example.
PGSSS74
Rookie

Chase Brice and Dom does not create great confidence in me. Let's hope VA has a healthy, safe game.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:10 pm
They opened the upper bowl for the first Riders visit back in July, almost prematurely, but I thought the Orange Shirt Day promotion might help the return visit. The Riders' play of late definitely hasn't. Then there's next week which is easy to say will be their biggest regular season game in about a decade. This should be cracking the 30,000 barrier.
But I'm guessing the Friday nights eliminates their out of town bus sales and also keeps other potential out of towners away, like coming from the Island for example.
Haven't checked today, but when I was on Ticketmaster yesterday (Wednesday), I'd say about 23K+ sold. You're right SG, when the Riders were here in July, I thought they were a little too quick in announcing the upper bowl opening, likely to create a buzz that really wasn't there (23,902). Consequently, there was a somewhat tepid response to the upper bowl and a quite lot of seats available in the East end zone. Fans on Friday will be a little more packed in which makes for better optics.

Yes, the Friday night game will prevent a lot of Island and Interior fans from attending but it represents an opportunity for those who can't make Saturday afternoons to come and check out the team for the first time. I know some of them.

A win is a must for ensuring a big crowd next week against the Bombers. Historically, the 2nd of back-to-back home games suffers at the gate but there's a good chance the reverse will be true.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:06 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:10 pm
Haven't checked today, but when I was on Ticketmaster yesterday (Wednesday), I'd say about 23K+ sold. You're right SG, when the Riders were here in July, I thought they were a little too quick in announcing the upper bowl opening, likely to create a buzz that really wasn't there (23,902). Consequently, there was a somewhat tepid response to the upper bowl and a quite lot of seats available in the East end zone. Fans on Friday will be a little more packed in which makes for better optics.

Yes, the Friday night game will prevent a lot of Island and Interior fans from attending but it represents an opportunity for those who can't make Saturday afternoons to come and check out the team for the first time. I know some of them.

A win is a must for ensuring a big crowd next week against the Bombers. Historically, the 2nd of back-to-back home games suffers at the gate but there's a good chance the reverse will be true.

Looking at the Bomber game I'd guess there's at least a couple thousand more seats available for the Bomber game. As you say historically 2nd of back-to-backs does not usually fare so well. It's tough to guess if the Bomber game will further get hurt or helped by being on the Friday night of a long weekend. Probably for every seat gained due to the long weekend factor another will be lost for the same reason.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

In the WTF category or I wouldn't believe it if you promised me a $1000 if it's true,

CFL
@CFL
·
19h
REPORT: The
@BCLions
have added QB, Colin Kaepernick to the club's negotiation list.

(h/t
@FarhanLaljiTSN
)
I think they should also add two other QBs who haven't played recently:

Tim Tebow
Johnny Football Manzell

OR add Tom Brady who jokingly said he should come to the CFL as he's won in every country he has played in.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy