Anybody buy this year's replica jerseys?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

I've been wanting to pick up a VA fog grey jersey this year, but when I saw them up close at BC Place, it looks like the stitched numbers option is not there this year. Even for the online store, the stitched option is not available. I also notice the thickness of the numbering is different than the game jerseys. The numbers on the shoulder and the main crest area seem to be thicker making it look very "replica". I'm a bit OCD and something like this bugs me especially if I'm gonna shell over 250 bucks for a jersey.

Last year I picked up a Rourke jersey that had stitched numbers and the quality was quite good. The numbers matched the ones used in game and the stitching gave it a more premium look. I ended getting the sleeves shortened with elastics added and also hemmed the overall length. I'm also on the process of having my girlfriend add embroidered logo patches on the shoulders. When I wear it, it sort of resembles the game jerseys worn by the players.

In the NFL, they have Elite Jerseys that come with the shorter sleeves with elastics and the sizing is like suit sizing instead of the standard small, medium and large. I wish the CFL did this.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Question. Are the numbers on the 2023 game jerseys stitched on or pressed on? If they happen to be pressed on then stitched on numbers would not make for true replicas. The home jerseys do look pressed on IMO.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
almo89
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:00 pm
Question. Are the numbers on the 2023 game jerseys stitched on or pressed on? If they happen to be pressed on then stitched on numbers would not make for true replicas. The home jerseys do look pressed on IMO.
The game jerseys numbers are stitched on. I don't think heat pressed numbers would survive all the wear and tear from an actual game. Check out the pics below and you can see that the numbers are stitched on. I can live with no stitching, but the thick numbers is the deal breaker for me.
BCJersey2.jpg
BCJersey1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

almo89 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:30 pm
Hambone wrote:
The game jerseys numbers are stitched on. I don't think heat pressed numbers would survive all the wear and tear from an actual game. Check out the pics below and you can see that the numbers are stitched on. I can live with no stitching, but the thick numbers is the deal breaker for me.

BCJersey2.jpgBCJersey1.jpg
Thanks. I looked for game action pics to try and detect switching but couldn't find one I could blow up as well as those.

Another reason for asking is that I have 3 game worn jerseys; a 1993 Ty Chatman, 1996 Johnny Scott and a 2018 Jovan Olafiyoe. Only Olafiyoe's has stitched on numbers.

Chatman and his lady were in the Shark Club for lunch one day when I was wearing it. This was after his playing days were over. As he was leaving he came over to say hey man you're wearing my jersey. I said yeah but it's a 1993, too bad it wasn't a 1994 from the Grey Cup year. He then told me that he wore that same jersey in both 1993 and 1994. So the idea that pressed on numbering can't stand up doesn't really hold water. Kato of course was notorious for getting every last dime out of every piece of equipment back then. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
almo89
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:51 pm
almo89 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:30 pm
Hambone wrote:

BCJersey2.jpgBCJersey1.jpg
Thanks. I looked for game action pics to try and detect switching but couldn't find one I could blow up as well as those.

Another reason for asking is that I have 3 game worn jerseys; a 1993 Ty Chatman, 1996 Johnny Scott and a 2018 Jovan Olafiyoe. Only Olafiyoe's has stitched on numbers.

Chatman and his lady were in the Shark Club for lunch one day when I was wearing it. This was after his playing days were over. As he was leaving he came over to say hey man you're wearing my jersey. I said yeah but it's a 1993, too bad it wasn't a 1994 from the Grey Cup year. He then told me that he wore that same jersey in both 1993 and 1994. So the idea that pressed on numbering can't stand up doesn't really hold water. Kato of course was notorious for getting every last dime out of every piece of equipment back then. :wink:
Those are some awesome game worns you have! I remember Tyrone Chatman and Johnny Scott being a Lions fan as a teenager those days. Those 90s heat pressed were actually pretty durable since the ink is directly pressed into the fabric. Olafiyoe's jersey is from the modern era where they used twill layered numbers and then stitched on. The replicas we have now uses those twill layer numbers and then heat pressed on which isn't as durable as the old school 90s heat pressed ink on the actual fabric. If they used the heat pressed twill layered numbers in games, I don't think they will last.

Kato was awesome. Really miss him.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I very much like the nostalgic look of the fog grey and do plan on getting my first jersey in a while.
Problem is the three players I would consider: Betts, Hatcher & Cottoy are all pending FAs. Hoping at least one extends in December for the Xmas wish list.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:31 am
I very much like the nostalgic look of the fog grey and do plan on getting my first jersey in a while.
Problem is the three players I would consider: Betts, Hatcher & Cottoy are all pending FAs. Hoping at least one extends in December for the Xmas wish list.
The Lions better extend all three of Betts, Hatcher, Cottoy. I am extremely disappointed that Lions let James Butler go in Free Agency this past season as they went from have the second best RB in terms of running (and a good blocker) in 2022 to having pretty much no running attack this season.
David
Team Captain

I bought the Fog Grey VA jersey earlier this year.

Am happy with the purchase. Quality is not game-worn but numbers are stitched on so I am satisfied.

If you look at Crazy P's (home) jersey up close (those that go to games), it is a true player replica. Quality thickness and stitching, snug fit etc. I would buy one of those if it were available but it's not. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar