B.C. at Montreal Sept. 2, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:45 pm
Robbie wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:23 pm
I mentioned in the past about the endzone clipped corner issue at Percival Molson Memorial Stadium. This used to be the case with Commonwealth Stadium too but since they got rid or or or are able to quickly move the running track encircling the field, then that is no longer the case at Commonwealth but still is at Percival Molson as the running track has created clipped corners in the end zone. And in last night's game, four crucial plays almost became an issue in that they occurred so close to the corner in that it was almost the case in which those plays would have been nullified at Percival Molson but would have been valid at other CFL stadiums which have full endzones:

1. The Lions TD pass to Hollins.
2. The long Alouettes TD pass to Mack.
3. The Lions interception by Mauger to prevent Montreal from take the lead.
4. The Lions interception by Lee to seal the deal.

I wonder why the CFL allows such adjustments since football stadiums should always have standard sizes and regulatory dimensons at 150 yards long and 65 yards wide in the CFL.

I don't think this is the case with any NFL stadium nor would the NFL allow that - especially given the fact the end zone in the NFL is already small enough at 10 yards deep and any clipped corners would make the end zone even smaller.
In 2023, don't they have the technology to cover those parts of the track with turf to make a complete end zone?
Colleges and universities are always in need of money. I guess because Percival Molson Memorial Stadium is owned and operated by McGill University, then they simply don't have enough money to do so and they already spent any donations to expand the stadium in 2010 at the cost of $29.4 million. Or maybe McGill decided that their own track and field team is more important and as such, they get higher priority by leaving the running track as it is at the expense of the Alouettes.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
almo89
Legend

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they made all endzones smaller just so all 9 stadiums have the exact same dimensions. The endzones are too big in my opinion. They don't need to be NFL small but just small enough to have all 9 stadiums using the same dimensions. Or even get rid of the 55 yard line and just go 100 yards and that should give them more room
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Stats would be meaningless if CFL fields went to US sizes for length and/or width just to accommodate the Montreal end zone which is:
Because the playing surface is surrounded by a running track, the full 65-yard width and 20-yard length of the end zones is not available at the two end lines. However, the full width is available for more than half of each end zone, with the only missing pieces being the relatively small bits off the corners.

Since the 2014 CFL season, it is the only stadium in the CFL to cut the corners on the end zones after Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium squared off theirs.
A history of end zones that reminds fans that in the '80s CFL end zones were 25 yards deep by 65 yards. BC Place was built too small for 25 yds so they went to 20 yards and the CFL went to 20 with exceptions in 1986.

Reminds us that some US expansion endzones were 15 yards.

BMO field is 18 yards.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/End_zone#google_vignette

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/End_zone
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:13 pm
Honestly I wouldn't mind if they made all endzones smaller just so all 9 stadiums have the exact same dimensions. The endzones are too big in my opinion. They don't need to be NFL small but just small enough to have all 9 stadiums using the same dimensions. Or even get rid of the 55 yard line and just go 100 yards and that should give them more room
Add in 4 downs, fair catches
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:19 pm
almo89 wrote:
The most boring plays in American football are on special teams. Countless touchbacks on kickoffs and punts into the end zone, downed punts that roll dead, fair catches allowed on punts and kickoffs, few kick returns out of the end zone, no onside punts or open-field kicks and no onside kick recoveries unless the ball hits the ground first.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:30 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
almo89 wrote:
The most boring plays in American football are on special teams. Countless touchbacks on kickoffs and punts into the end zone, downed punts that roll dead, fair catches allowed on punts and kickoffs, few kick returns out of the end zone, no onside punts or open-field kicks and no onside kick recoveries unless the ball hits the ground first.
I wonder to what extent does the NFL and CFL influence each other with regards to rule changes. Since NFL is much larger and more powerful, one would think that the NFL is a much bigger influencer but it's still possible that the NFL might adopt any changes by the CFL. And the best example might be the 2015 changes with regards to single TD convert / point after.

At the start of the 2015 season:

In the CFL, the conversion was backed up 20 yards from the 5-yard line to the 25-yard line for a 32-yard attempt.

In the NFL, the conversion was backed up 13 yards from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line for a 33-yard attempt.

Does anybody know:

Did one league make the change first and the other league followed suit?
Or were the league changes made independently of each other?

Since the CFL season started first, one would think that the CFL would make the change first in preparation for the season.

One last point is that college football did not make the changes and for their one-point conversions which is ironic. Isn't it the purpose of college is to train and prepare them to become professionals? And that includes training the placekicker too, correct? So shouldn't the one-point conversions be moved back a well in the college environment so that the placekickers will be better trained if they hope to make it to the professional level someday?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:15 am

In the CFL, the conversion was backed up 20 yards from the 5-yard line to the 25-yard line for a 32-yard attempt.

In the NFL, the conversion was backed up 13 yards from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line for a 33-yard attempt.

Does anybody know:

Since the CFL season started first, one would think that the CFL would make the change first in preparation for the season.
I don't know the origin of the changes but the CFL approved them in April 2015 and the NFL approved them in May 2015.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:11 pm
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:45 pm
Robbie wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:23 pm
I mentioned in the past about the endzone clipped corner issue at Percival Molson Memorial Stadium. This used to be the case with Commonwealth Stadium too but since they got rid or or or are able to quickly move the running track encircling the field, then that is no longer the case at Commonwealth but still is at Percival Molson as the running track has created clipped corners in the end zone. And in last night's game, four crucial plays almost became an issue in that they occurred so close to the corner in that it was almost the case in which those plays would have been nullified at Percival Molson but would have been valid at other CFL stadiums which have full endzones:

1. The Lions TD pass to Hollins.
2. The long Alouettes TD pass to Mack.
3. The Lions interception by Mauger to prevent Montreal from take the lead.
4. The Lions interception by Lee to seal the deal.

I wonder why the CFL allows such adjustments since football stadiums should always have standard sizes and regulatory dimensons at 150 yards long and 65 yards wide in the CFL.

I don't think this is the case with any NFL stadium nor would the NFL allow that - especially given the fact the end zone in the NFL is already small enough at 10 yards deep and any clipped corners would make the end zone even smaller.
In 2023, don't they have the technology to cover those parts of the track with turf to make a complete end zone?
Colleges and universities are always in need of money. I guess because Percival Molson Memorial Stadium is owned and operated by McGill University, then they simply don't have enough money to do so and they already spent any donations to expand the stadium in 2010 at the cost of $29.4 million. Or maybe McGill decided that their own track and field team is more important and as such, they get higher priority by leaving the running track as it is at the expense of the Alouettes.
I took the trusty Google Earth ruler, which is amazingly accurate, to the satellite view of Molson. With the shaved corners they lose 27 sq yds per corner of each end zone. Overall quite insignificant. At the same time that would put immovable objects like buildings 3 or 4 yards away.

Correct me if I'm wrong but due to space constraints the gridiron end zones at BMO are only 18 yards deep meaning they have shaved off 130 sq yds per end zone.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
almo89 wrote:
To be filed under "When Hell Freezes Over".
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It was great to see Alexander Hollins & Austin Mack put on a show last Saturday. A couple of entry level receivers that are at or near the top among the league leaders.

The American receiver salaries are getting ridiculous: $320,000 for Lewis, $250,000 for Lawlor. Mack has picked up right where Lewis left off at a fraction of the cost thanks to good recruiting.
BC will enjoy another season of Hollins on his rookie deal.

Interesting bonus clause to Lucky's contract yet we never see him return kicks.
The former CFL all-star recently received a $70,000 signing bonus to rework his deal for the 2023 season. He will also be paid a $5,000 bonus each time he returns a punt or kickoff for a touchdown with the Lions this season.
Maybe they unleash him once Rhymes is back and sit Williams for the crucial stretch drive?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:49 am
Robbie wrote:

Does anybody know:

I don't know the origin of the changes but the CFL approved them in April 2015 and the NFL approved them in May 2015.
It still remains whether the change in one league was influenced by the other league, or whether it was completely coincidental.

But there are many other societal changes that were influenced by another country and often, it's always the USA who makes the changes and Canada is "forced" to make changes accordingly to accept societal norms and in some cases, sports is affected as well.

1. Suppose the USA wants to eliminate the entire standard time vs. daylight savings time - then Canada must follow suit.

2. Because of the George Floyd incident and subsequent protests, the NFL changed the team name from Washington Redskins to Washington Commanders while the MLB changed the team name from Cleveland Indians to Cleveland Guardians. As a result, it looks like the CFL was "forced and obligated" to change the team name of Edmonton Eskimos to Edmonton Elks.
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:36 am
It was great to see Alexander Hollins & Austin Mack put on a show last Saturday. A couple of entry level receivers that are at or near the top among the league leaders.

The American receiver salaries are getting ridiculous: $320,000 for Lewis, $250,000 for Lawlor. Mack has picked up right where Lewis left off at a fraction of the cost thanks to good recruiting.
BC will enjoy another season of Hollins on his rookie deal.

Interesting bonus clause to Lucky's contract yet we never see him return kicks.
The former CFL all-star recently received a $70,000 signing bonus to rework his deal for the 2023 season. He will also be paid a $5,000 bonus each time he returns a punt or kickoff for a touchdown with the Lions this season.
Maybe they unleash him once Rhymes is back and sit Williams for the crucial stretch drive?
Later in the game BC seemed to go to having 2 returners back deep for punts. It was Sayles for a couple of them. On the last one (I think) it was Whitehead back with Williams. Now it's entirely possible that was done to have Sayles up to defend a possible fake.
South Pender
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:16 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:49 am
Robbie wrote:
Because of the George Floyd incident and subsequent protests, the NFL changed the team name from Washington Redskins to Washington Commanders while the MLB changed the team name from Cleveland Indians to Cleveland Guardians. As a result, it looks like the CFL was "forced and obligated" to change the team name of Edmonton Eskimos to Edmonton Elks.
Yes, this all has been an interesting trend in pro sports. Actually, agitation to change the name of the Redskins began long before the George Floyd incident. It had been percolating for more than a decade prior to that incident, and the demands for change just got louder and louder over the years. The official name change (at first to the "Washington Football Team" for a year and then a year later to the "Commanders") took place about a month after George Floyd's death, and it's pretty clear that it would have occurred even without that event. With the Cleveland baseball team, on the other hand, the George Floyd tragedy was, I believe, a catalyst that led to the name change (to the "Guardians") a little over a year after that event.

It's possible that those name changes led to the Edmonton football team considering a similar name change, but I suspect that this change would have come about regardless. Pressure from Inuit groups was taken seriously, although most season ticket-holders were opposed to any change. Interestingly, the Edmonton football team of 1922 was also called the Elks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:52 pm
Yes, this all has been an interesting trend in pro sports. Actually, agitation to change the name of the Redskins began long before the George Floyd incident. It had been percolating for more than a decade prior to that incident, and the demands for change just got louder and louder over the years. The official name change (at first to the "Washington Football Team" for a year and then a year later to the "Commanders") took place about a month after George Floyd's death, and it's pretty clear that it would have occurred even without that event. With the Cleveland baseball team, on the other hand, the George Floyd tragedy was, I believe, a catalyst that led to the name change (to the "Guardians") a little over a year after that event.

It's possible that those name changes led to the Edmonton football team considering a similar name change, but I suspect that this change would have come about regardless. Pressure from Inuit groups was taken seriously, although most season ticket-holders were opposed to any change. Interestingly, the Edmonton football team of 1922 was also called the Elks.
I'm not sure I understand a relationship between Floyd, a black man in Minneapolis, and the movement to have Washington change their name from what amounted to a First Nations version of the N-word. Call it the R-Word if you will.

As you said though there have been calls for the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians to change their nicknames for at least a decade, if not much , much longer. Case in point U of North Dakota changed their nickname from Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks back in 2015 amid similar pressure. What happens is there gets to be a point where such institutions get sick and tires of constantly having to answer questions, questions that right or wrong will never cease unless the name is changed.

That more than anything is what led to SFU making the change. On this side of the border there was no confusion about the name Clansmen but their athletes competing on the other side of the border were constantly being hounded by questions about those other "Clansmen".

As much as there was talk that "the Inuit" weren't apposed to the Eskimo moniker was there ever an official stance communicate out of a group like the Assembly of First Nations of which the Inuit are associated? It's a good thing most of those who didn't like the name Eskimos didn't see the cartoon character Eskimos used everywhere on CFL programs, advertising and publications in the 50s and 60s. They were CFL versions of Cleveland's Chief Wahoo. Lol.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Anyone know if/when McGill University is planning on changing "Redmen"?