B.C. at Montreal Sept. 2, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions open the Labour Day schedule Saturday in Montreal in their first action since 2015 on the CFL's most anticipated weekend of rivalry battles. They'll be looking to break their first 2-game losing streak of the year.

Free-agent DB Mike Jones will return to the city where he played last year and get his second start of the season at cornerback in place of Jalon Edwards-Cooper (shoulder). Former Alouette Nick Usher is also activated for the first time as a rotational defensive end and special teamer in place of LB Brooks Parker.

On offence, the Lions are hobbling at receiver. Alex Hollins (knee) is listed as a game-time decision but is expected to play. Keon Hatcher, who didn't fully participate in any practices this week while nursing a foot injury, was listed as questionable on the Lions' injury report but is on the depth chart at his usual boundary slotback position. I expect the Lions to make more use of Jevon Cottoy, Justin McInnis and Lucky Whitehead, who pronounced himself as 100% healthy this week.

This is also a homecoming weekend of sorts for Vernon Adams, who played 7 years with the Alouettes before being traded to B.C. last year for the Lions' first-round draft pick, which the Als used to pick Lwal Uguak of Texas Christian, who is listed on Montreal's depth chart as a backup defensive end.

Here is Matt Baker's game preview, with the Lions' offensive and defensive depth charts:
https://www.bclions.com/2023/08/31/game ... ouettes-3/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As noted in 3downnation's game preview, the Lions plan to use one of the CFL's new roster rules to capitalize on defensive lineman Nick Usher's experience in the league. They've listed him as a designated nationalized American, which allows him to substitute for any American or Canadian lineman (the latter for a maximum of 23 plays) during the game. The Lions gave that status to Woody Baron in the first game of the season, listing him as a backup to Tibo Debaillie, which allowed him to substitute for any lineman, but they have largely abandoned the practice due to a lack of veteran American backups who met the league's qualifications.

The same article also noted that Jalon Edwards-Cooper has been placed on the 6-game injured list. That emphasizes the value of acquiring veteran cornerback Mike Jones in free agency.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That depth chart on offence sure looks thin with Hollins listed as starting - GTD and no back up.

Toss a backup QB in the slot.
David Mackie as the only other RB sure doesn't look inspiring!

The only thing about players returning to their former team's home park is how it can be distracting and hopefully, for Vernon Adams he's not putting extra pressure on himself and just goes out and plays.

On the larger scale the question I see on TSN is "will the real BC Lions team stand up?" We shall see.
Adams Jr. to the Lions' doubters: 'Them tables are going to turn, y'all stay on that side'
VA sounds realistic here and he's right you can't any game as not going to be tough.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/adams-jr-t ... de~2755710

Even Elks and Ticats look different all of a sudden.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

There seemed to be a real upbeat tone at practice all week as I’m sure the entire organization feels such a promising start to the season is slipping away fast.
They just better play with the same level of desperation on both sides of the ball.

The offence has become one dimensional in recent weeks and I’m sure Noel Thorpe will be dialling up plenty of pressure & blitz packages at VA. Can the Lions make them pay?

The defence is my greatest concern as they were once capable of winning games on their own. Phillips just better be in attack mode and not sitting back in more zone coverage.

Montreal never an easy place to play and a loss doesn’t end their season. But it would very likely kiss first place goodbye which would be an extreme disappointment given how huge that early October visit by the Bombers looked just 3 short weeks ago.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, all I can say is that two things are going to be paramount today.

First of all, I have my doubts about the Oline providing the kind of protection that VA needs for slow developing plays. Therefore, the play calls need to be quick and if it looks like the protection is breaking down, VA needs to throw it away rather than taking the sack.

The D-Line needs to find a way to get pressure. They were lights out at the beginning of the season but have tailed off dramatically of late. Get heat on the QB for Mtl. That will lead to mistakes that the secondary can hopefully count on. Some more disguised blitzes would be helpful.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

In Montreal today. It's a nice warm day +23 right now and getting warmer. It's quite windy. Supposed to still be around 24 at kickoff.

Sitting at the bar in 3 Brasseurs at corner of University and Saint Catherine I just saw Moj & McCallum walk by the pub. Moj no doubt in quest of a Dunn's or something like that. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Figaro
Rookie

I thought that with the injuries to receivers, they might bring Eberhardt up from the PR. He showed great promise in the preseason, especially in the short - first down receptions. With the anticipated pressure from Montreal's defence on VA, having a sure-handed short pass receiver would be invaluable - getting the pass away a second or two faster would force Montreal to stop blitzing on every play allowing for some deeper passes.

Also, they don't use Cottoy enough. Quick short passes, his size, and his strength to push forward for a first down are a must. It has been a mystery to me why they are not going to him more often when the pressure is on. Montreal has the best Free Safety in Dequoy, until he comes up to stop the short passes, don't go long into his area. Force him closer to the line of scrimmage.

I am not sure where our running game went - some might say to Hamilton. Nevertheless, I am not sold on Mizzell. I like a back to hit the line with full speed ahead not make seventy-four fakes back and forth while everything closes on him. Yes, the O-line is shakey at best on the run - but help them out by hitting the hole fast and stop forcing them to hold on to their blocks too long. Maybe try Mackie - he is much bigger and stronger - or go with two backs either to add more pass protection or have Mizzell follow Mackie's block on the middle linebacker. Give Montreal something they haven't seen from us before.

The D-line doesn't need to get more sacks, although that would be great if it happened. I want more pressure on the quarterback, don't give him time to think and have his receivers get far downfield (anyone remember the opening of the Bomber/Lions game? No pressure equates to longer completions downfield. "It is a simple game; don't make it hard."

Roar Lions Roar. Looking forward to getting back into the win column.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:21 am
In Montreal today. It's a nice warm day +23 right now and getting warmer. It's quite windy. Supposed to still be around 24 at kickoff.

Sitting at the bar in 3 Brasseurs at corner of University and Saint Catherine I just saw Moj & McCallum walk by the pub. Moj no doubt in quest of a Dunn's or something like that. :wink:

Beauty - enjoy ! :beer:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

One thing they have to do is stop turning the damned ball over, especially early in the game. 2 games in a row now they turned it over on their first possession.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:40 am
Hambone wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:21 am

Beauty - enjoy ! :beer:
Merci! :beer:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looks like BC will be sporting their all black home look vs Montreal's new look reds with white pants
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Was Couture really an upgrade on Godber? Horrible job there leads to 2 and out.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We needed that stop
almo89
Legend

Defense looks slow out there
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

going for it?