Lions at Bombers Aug. 3, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For the second time this year, the Lions go into Winnipeg on a short week and try to upset the Bombers on a Thursday night after shutting out Edmonton on the previous Saturday. Deja vu? That would be nice for the Lions, but the stakes are much bigger this time, and thus so is the challenge. A B.C. victory would give the Lions the season series and open a four-point lead over the Bombers atop the West Division. A Winnipeg victory would even the season series and pull the Bombers into a first-place tie with the Lions at 6-2.

The Lions have had great success defensively this year by shutting down opposing teams on the ground and preventing deep passes, forcing teams to throw into the teeth of the secondary and withstand pressure from B.C.'s pass rush. Winnipeg RB Brady Oliveira was limited in the previous game against the Lions after being a game-time decision due to injury. He rushed 3 times for 21 yards on the Bombers' opening field-goal drive but had just 7 carries for 31 yards for the rest of the game. The Lions will be without arguably their most valuable defensive lineman Josh Banks (hamstring) for the rematch. American Marcus Moore has been activated from the practice roster for the first time but undersized 245-lb. national Nathan Cherry is listed as the starting nose tackle.

In their previous meeting, the vaunted Winnipeg offensive line looked flat-footed all night, surrendering 7 sacks, as Mathieu Betts and the Lions throttled Zach Collaros and the Bomber passing attack. I don't think I've seen the Bombers look so physically unprepared for battle as that game. I expect a much stiffer challenge this time. The The Bombers will have WR Kenny Lawler in the lineup this week as a sure-handed deep threat. Slotback Dalton Schoen was limited in practice but is listed as a starter, giving Collaros a full arsenal of weapons to challenge the B.C. secondary.

Matt Baker summarizes the personnel changes and roster in his excellent game preview:
https://www.bclions.com/2023/08/01/game ... bombers-3/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect lightning to strike twice.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Feel like the Lions are playing with house money this time. League did them no favours with this schedule which is even worse this time with Bombers coming off a bye week.
A veteran team that was embarrassed in the previous meeting on their home field and probably would kiss first place goodbye with another BC win. Definitely a statement game for the Bombers.

Banks is a unsung hero on the d-line and will be missed. Fully expect Hall to blitz like crazy and our protection will need to be better than it has in the last couple game although Evans better not expect he will have time to progress to further reads.

I will be happy if the Lions show enough signs that the first game was no fluke.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hope Mykasimic have a plan to neutralize the pass rush other than max protection.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:58 pm
Hope Mykasimic have a plan to neutralize the pass rush other than max protection.
My guess would be to neutralize the rush with quick short passes to Cottoy to power his way to YAC or to Mizzell who zig-zags his way to YAC.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Some good takes on the issues for this game.

The Bombers were not just suspect vs BC but lost to Ottawa where:
The last time we saw the Bombers, they were getting humbled by the Redblacks, who scored 16 points in the final three minutes to tie the game and then won it in overtime. Rookie quarterback Dustin Crum scored the tying and winning touchdowns on memorable runs and the Bombers were left searching for answers.
But HC Mike O'Shea was positive after the loss to Otttawa and we know they went on to beat the Elks after:
What you’re really looking for as a coach is are you seeing something that is showing an indicator that anything’s slipping? Nothing changed with these guys.
O'Shea is a cagey speaker unlike a Dave Dickenson who will be more blunt.
I'm not sure as I watched both losses and did the Bombers decimation by BC suggest some slippage in their DEF and maybe offensively? We''ll see.

Since Crum's runs against the Bombers the defences have spied him and the runs aren't happening like with the Bombers where there was no in-game adjustment to spy him (or so it seemed).

I wasn't sure of Buck's play calls in that game BUT RedBlacks played well defensively.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/blue-bom ... -in-ottawa
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions let the Bombers out of a big hole
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a good start
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wake the hell up TJ Lee
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Bombers obviously saw something on film that allowed them to exploit the B.C. secondary for 105 yards in two plays. They gave Zach Collaros extra protection, knowing that he would be going deep. Game on.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Good lord. He is short
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions aren't ready to play
SammyGreene
Team Captain

What a joke!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wow.