2023-24 NFL/Seahawks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

On the contrary from Drew Lock NOT replacing Gino Smith as the starter when both QB's are healthy, Broncos head coach Sean Payton is benching quarterback Russell Wilson and replacing him with Jarrett Stidham as the starter for the rest of the season.

That said, with his high salary and mediocre performance, Russell Wilson might get released or traded after the season is over. Wilson is under a five-year $250 million deal and if the Broncos release him now he will still be owed $49.6M in 2024. It looks like Russell Wilson has really beat and demolished the Denver Broncos twice now - first on the field and then off the field.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
South Pender
Legend

I was surprised to hear the news about Russell Wilson being benched in Denver. Although the Broncos have been pretty up and down this season and have almost no chance to make the playoffs, Wilson hasn't played badly. He currently has a QB rating of 98, which is actually very good, placing him 7th among all NFL QBs who've played most of the season.

When I started reading about this, it seemed that most football writers were seeing this benching as presaging the end of his days in Denver, and I thought that this was an over-reaction. However, as a little time has passed, it seems that just about everyone is seeing it this way.

Apparently, the trouble began when the Broncos approached Wilson about putting off the date at which he'd be entitled to full compensation in the event of an injury. Wilson evidently refused. This may have ticked off coach Sean Payton and led to bad blood between them. Here are a couple of brief articles about this from Pro Football Talk:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... et-benched

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -guarantee

In any case, it's a very surprising turn of events, and I feel sorry for Wilson--being put out as the sacrificial lamb for a disappointing season despite high-level play on his part in most games. Frankly I find it very hard to imagine Jarrett Stidham being anything close to an upgrade over Wilson. If Wilson is truly finished in Denver, it will sure be interesting to see where he ends up next season. He'll be 36 then, but I don't see him hanging up his cleats yet. And if Denver cuts him loose, his remaining salary along with the dead-money burden on the Broncos will be immense.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Valiant by the Seahawks on home field but the defence still couldn't contain Mason Rudolph (no long term effects after getting hit by his own helmet by Myles Garrett four years ago) and the Steelers offence and an untimely fumble turnover sealed the loss. While Seahawks are not officially eliminated from the playoffs, their chances are very minimal now and they might want to prepare for next season. :roll: :sigh:

-----------------------

Denver Broncos win 16-9 with Jarrett Stidham at QB going 20-32 for 224 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INT.
With this win, Jarrett Stidham has all but won the starting job and Russell Wilson will never be in a Broncos uniform again.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Seahawks are still in decent shape. Even with this loss they hold the final wild card spot but will be joined in a 3 way tie at 8-8 with New Orleans and the winner of the Pack and Vikes tilt tonight. They have the tie breaker edge over New Orleans. No idea how things would line up in a 3-way tie.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Yeah, good points, Hambone, but in reality the Seahawks' chances of making the playoffs have now dropped significantly (now estimated at 21%). It's pretty simple, actually: they would have to beat the Cardinals in Arizona next Sunday and have the Packers lose to the Bears at Lambeau Field. The former is possible, I guess, but the latter seems very unlikely.

Yesterday’s game was one of the worst defensive performances I’ve had the displeasure of witnessing from the ‘Hawks this year. Their tackling was just atrocious, and the two Steelers running backs gouged them for close to 200 yards on the ground. Not only that, but the Steelers’ 3rd-string QB went 18/24 for 274 yards. The Steelers just dominated at the LOS and completely out-muscled the Seahawks throughout the game.

It’s probably too early to begin postmortems on the Seahawks’ 2023 season, but some things are pretty obvious at this point. The main concern among ‘Hawks fans prior to the season was the run defence, and, although they were fine in this area for the first 5 or 6 games, they’ve been just awful for well over half the season. Their big-money defensive acquisition in the off-season, DE Dre'mont Jones, has been a major disappointment, and I can't see him returning in 2024 unless the dead-money cost is too great. The question of why the defense has regressed so badly and why the willingness to tackle and intimidate has disappeared is a hard one to answer.

I think the Seahawks have an above-average player roster in most areas, and the main problem seems to lie with the coaching and scheme—particularly the coaching and defensive play-calling from DC Clint Hurtt. The team hasn’t had an effective DC since Dan Quinn in 2013-14. I think we’ll see some major changes in the off-season, particularly if they miss the playoffs, and replacing Hurtt with someone from outside the organization seems absolutely necessary, although Pete Carroll has a history of loyalty to his coordinators and coaches and has been reluctant to fire them. I think the broad consensus among Seahawks fans is that big changes are necessary at this point, and, for this reason, missing the playoffs might be the best outcome if the necessary changes are going to take place.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With the Green Bay Packers winning 17-9 over the Chicago Bears, they have claimed the last NFC playoff spot meaning that the Seattle Seahawks have missed the playoffs despite their narrow 21-20 win over the Arizona Cardinals and a winning record of 9-8. :sigh:

Cardinals kicker Matt Prater who previously held the NFL record for longest FG at 64-yards has been nice for the Seahawks by missing two late field goals which would have won the game for the Cardinals. And previously in Super Bowl XLVIII as a Bronco, he kicked a very short kickoff to start off the second half which allowed the Seahawks to return it for a TD to essentially nail the coffin to make it 29-0.

The season was full of optimism especially when they led in the NFC West and appeared to have the ability to finish first overall in the NFC. But a resurgence of the San Francisco 49ers along with the LA Rams and the missed field goal game in LA led to a four game losing streak which essentially costed the team the season.

Pete Carroll and the Seahawks need to regroup during off season and deal with their weakest areas - notably the defence failure to deal the opponent's pass rush as apparent in their season finale in which the Arizona Cardinals ran for several good drives to take the lead.

------------------------
First round NFC playoff matches:

Philadelphia Eagles at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Green Bay Packers at Dallas Cowboys
LA Rams at Detroit Lions

Bye: San Francisco 49ers

First round AFC playoff matches:

Cleveland Browns at Houston Texans
Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs

Bye: Baltimore Ravens
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

So the season is over for the Seahawks despite a win in Arizona--a win they were lucky to get, as the Cardinals played by far the stronger game and the usually-reliable Matt Prater missed a couple of field goals that he normally makes. It's an interesting end to the season for the 'Hawks, almost mirroring the 2022 season. In both seasons, the Seahawks went into Week 18 at 8-8 and needing a loss by the Packers to make the playoffs. The Packers accommodated them last season, losing to the Lions, and the Seahawks went into the playoffs at 9-8. This time, the Packers won, and the Seahawks missed the playoffs but ended up with the same 9-8 record.

So the postmortems will begin now in Seattle. The first question to be answered is whether or not Pete Carroll will be back in 2024. He says he wants to return, but team ownership will make the final decision on this. My prediction is that he will return next season. The next question is the two coordinators--OC Shane Waldron and DC Clint Hurtt. Waldron will probably return, but Hurtt's chances are far less certain. Most Seahawks fans want him gone, and I think that is the best outcome if improvement in the defense is to occur.

Then they'll need to take a real hard look at their player roster. Help is most urgently needed on the D line, but also to some extent at inside LB, with Bobby Wagner's return up in the air. And the situation at safety needs attention. A big question there will be whether the team wants to continue to invest the huge dollars in SS Jamal Adams, or whether Julian Love can move into Adams' spot with no loss in effectiveness. Free safety Quandre Diggs is another player needing real scrutiny,

There are other needs as well. As always seems to be the case, help is needed on the O line, particularly at the two guard spots. So the off-season will be an interesting one in Seattle. They just simply need to get better, and it will be interesting to see whether John Schneider can wheel-and-deal his way to the improvements that are necessary.

But now it's on to the playoffs. The question will be whether any NFC team can knock the 49ers out and whether any AFC team can knock the Ravens out. Both have the first-round byes. I'll be surprised if the 49ers don't go on to the Super Bowl, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone in the AFC knock off the Ravens--Dolphins, Bills, or Chiefs. Robbie has given the schedule for Wild Card Weekend. My picks would be Eagles, Cowboys, and Lions in the NFC and Browns, Bills, and Chiefs in the AFC.

Let the fun begin!
South Pender
Legend

This just in:

Pete Carroll out as Seahawks' head coach. Will stay on as an advisor.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... r-seahawks

I'm surprised by this. Pete has been the Seahawks' most successful head coach in the team's history. I guess the underwhelming play at times this year and failure to make the playoffs were the triggers.

Whether the poor finish to the season was largely Carroll's fault or not, I have to think that some coaches will go as well with Pete gone. First up should be DC Clint Hurtt.

Here's a little more on this:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/392 ... -coach-nfl

and here's another one that nicely describes Pete Carroll's contribution to the Seahawks' culture and success:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/11 ... acy-future
Robbie
Hall of Famer

On a similar note, another NFL legendary coach who Pete Carroll had huge rivalries with will also be stepping down - New England Patriots' Bill Belichick.

As great as Pete Carroll's legacy is, I will admit and concede that Bill Belichick has an even better legacy with 24 years and 6 Super Bowls.

--------------------------------
It's good to see that a lot of his former players including Russell Wilson all met up with Pete Carroll in a personal farewell gathering.

Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

Here is the schedule for the NFL Wildcard Weekend (first round of the playoffs), along with the networks carrying them. They will all appear on the various TSN channels as well. All listed times are Eastern.

https://www.nfl.com/news/super-wild-car ... e-revealed

Six games--two on Saturday, three on Sunday, and a Monday night game.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:01 pm
https://www.nfl.com/news/super-wild-car ... e-revealed

Six games--two on Saturday, three on Sunday, and a Monday night game.
Because of a winter storm, the Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills game has been postponed from Sunday to Monday.

So there will be two games each from Saturday to Monday.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

No upsets in the first set of wildcard games with Houston Texans easily win 45-14 over the Cleveland Browns, and Kansas City Chiefs handle the Miami Dolphins 26-7.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The first huge upset of the NFL playoffs occurred today as the 9-8 Green Bay Packers arrived to face the 12-5 Dallas Cowboys and jumped to a 20-0 lead and never looked back in a 48-32 win.

A near upset also occurred as the LA Rams fought back against the Detroit Lions to narrow the gap 24-23 but they couldn't drive close enough for a potential game-winning field goal attempt so the Detroit Lions managed to hang on to win.
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

Yeah, what an upset in Dallas. HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS!! Ha Ha. HOW BOUT DEM PACKERS!! Packers (the youngest team in the NFL) come into the Cowboys' stadium and play a team with a more-experienced and clearly stronger player roster and beat them soundly. It wasn’t just that the heavily-favored team lost; it’s how badly they lost! This has to fall on both Cowboys' head coach Mike McCarthy and DC Dan Quinn. The question now is whether McCarthy will be canned. The scuttlebutt has it that Jerry Jones may want Bill Belichick now that he's available, and I wonder whether Quinn will still be the front-runner for the Seahawks’ HC job. But kudos to Packers’ HC Matt LaFleur. He had a great game plan and had his guys ready to play and play hard. Jordan Love’s terrific performance must have Packers' fans saying “Aaron who?” :wink:

I thought the Lions-Rams game could have gone either way. The Rams had come on very strong at the end of the regular season and look to me to now be right on the heels of the 49ers in the NFC-West. They drafted really well in the last draft, and they'll be tough competition for the Seahawks next season.
Last edited by South Pender on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In extreme cold, the Buffalo Bills ensured that the Pittsburgh Steelers won't upset them by jumping to a 21-0 lead. A blocked field goal late in the second quarter seemed to shift the momentum and narrowed the lead 24-17 halfway in the fourth quarter. But Bills touchdown sealed the deal with a 31-17 win.

And despite having home field advantage, the 9-8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers had a huge challenge against the 12-5 defending NFC champions Philadelphia Eagles. And the Buccaneers met the challenge by jumping to a 13-0 lead while the defence did their job in the second half by shutting down the Eagles offence with a 32-9 win.

-------------------

Three major USA football coach changes recently and two of the three had their replacements announced:

The New England Patriots did an internal hiring by promoting inside linebackers coach Jerod Mayo to replace Bill Belichick.

After leading the Washington Huskies to a National Championship appearance, head coach Kalen DeBoer bolted to take the job in Alabama. So the UW Huskies hire Jedd Fisch from the University of Arizona as their new head coach. In some media stories, Pete Carroll was considered.

Remains to be seen who will be the new Seattle Seahawks coach.

--------------------

Next set of matches:

January 20:
Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers
Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens

January 21:
Kansas City Chiefs at Buffalo Bills
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Detroit Lions
祝你龍年行大運。