Lions vs. Elks July 29, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:18 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:11 pm
So, a question. Has any CFL team pitched 2 shutout in the same season? At least since leather helmets?
Even tougher - against the same team?
According to J.J. Adams, Calgary had two shutouts in 1970, and Edmonton shut out Saskatchewan twice in 1959.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Any score predictions for the third and final game between BC and Edmonton on September 22?

June 17: Edmonton 0 at BC 22
July 29: BC 27 at Edmonton 0
September 22: BC ## at Edmonton ##

Do you think it will be in the lines of: BC >30 at Edmonton 0
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lions now 5-0 versus the West and 2-0 in this current 5 game stretch against divisional opponents.
I’m expecting the Bombers to be throwing the kitchen at BC on Thursday after what happened in the first meeting. Again the Lions head into Winnipeg on a very short work while the Bombers had the bye.
All the pressure on the home team as the Lions opening a 3 game lead atop the division would be a massive hill for Winnipeg to climb.

It’s such a quick turnaround for BC that I fully expect Evans to start again and Rhymes likely sitting again too.
Lui05
Rookie

Robbie wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:44 am
Any score predictions for the third and final game between BC and Edmonton on September 22?

Do you think it will be in the lines of: BC >30 at Edmonton 0
I predict Edmonton will manage to not be shutout 3 times. If they were having a better season, the fumble return stands and the field goal is made in this game.
Having grown up in an Era where playing Edmonton was pretty much a guaranteed loss, I'm enjoying their futility. But nothing is purrfect and I think statistically speaking, a Rouge or 2 at least is in their future. Barring injuries, I would predict the defense continues to allow no touchdowns.

On another topic of the O-line, their game starts seem poor, but they seem better in the second half. Probably in part because we dominate time of possession. If we design our first quarter offense to protect that weakness until the d-line tires, maybe that helps? (I'm no expert, I don't have anything specific in mind)

All-in-all, if o-line challenges for a quarter of the game and Darnell Clash? (Do i have that name right) is the last person I remember to be a dangerous special teams returner, are all I can find to suggest for improvement, I have nothing but compliments for this team from ownership down to the water boy.

:yahoo:
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lui05 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:16 pm
All-in-all, if o-line challenges for a quarter of the game and Darnell Clash? (Do i have that name right) is the last person I remember to be a dangerous special teams returner
Yes, Darnell Clash played for the Lions for three seasons from 1984-86 and was a great kick returner and was on the starting lineup as defensive back. But a knee injury caused him to lose his job as a regular returner and was replaced by Larry Crawford. Clash was deemed expendable and was traded to Toronto at the start of the 1987 season for a first round draft pick in 1988. The first round didn't turn out to be a great player for the Lions as it turned out to be the mediocre Tony Martino.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

For the Lions, this game for the no. 2 QB Dane Evans was a terrific positive even if VA is back next game starting.
Going all year with just one QB taking serious downs is never a good thing especially as Dane Evans needs his confidence rebuilt and also needs to learn this offense.

Ryan Phillips DEF is the real deal and it's nice to see that as a DC he can rival the likes of Dave Ritchie as a coach.

What can you say about the Elks from player selection (hello Geroy) to penalties, schemes/play calling on offense and managing the QB position? Brutal, disaster, train wreck of gigantic proportions.

At times you can be influenced by the broadcast and panel comments but not switching it up at QB even for a few series when Cornelius was clearly out of sync made no sense. When Jones had Kevin Glenn at QB with the Riders, when things went bad and the O-Line couldn't protect he'd take Glenn out specifically for not wanting his starter "killed". In this case Jones should have taken out his starter to avoid PTSD!!!

He's got to either bring someone to consult on the offense or replace the OC. Defenses across the CFL are all better coached, better prepared and performing better.

More of the same will not give the Elks a better result.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Jarious Jackson is the new Elks play caller:
https://3downnation.com/2023/07/31/edmo ... or-report/

Jarious Jackson calling plays does not represent an upgrade, imo.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:11 am
Jarious Jackson is the new Elks play caller:
https://3downnation.com/2023/07/31/edmo ... or-report/

Jarious Jackson calling plays does not represent an upgrade, imo.
When the alternative is McAdoo it might be. You can add Elks-Nation to Rider-Nation as those calling him McAdon't.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

If I were the Elks, I would have turfed McAdoo and Jarious and hired Paul LaPolice as OC and QB coach.

I don't think much of Lapo as a head coach, but he is a very skilled OC.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:41 pm
If I were the Elks, I would have turfed McAdoo and Jarious and hired Paul LaPolice as OC and QB coach.

No doubt Lapp would be an upgrade but doubtful that he would take the job in the current circumstances.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:41 pm

I agree Lapo was a good OC but not a good HC and he showed this observer he learned nothing about the role of HC from his first trip to that high office with the Bombers. Also just waiting for Masoli to come back was hardly a viable plan.

If I were Chris Jones, I'd have hired Damon Allen when he was in town recently to advise on a path forward offensively. Like Burris he was a Bill Walsh coaching scholarship graduate or whatever it is called.

He like Henry Burris another one who wants to coach but is just a TC coaching gig this season so far surprise me that they're not coaching in the CFL. Two American QB greats who live in Canada year round and who stayed after playing.

I wish Jarius well but he seemed oblivious in BC that his offense wasn't working and he didn't adjust. He also won't run the football - something you have to be able to do. I question why he left Dinwiddie's staff as clearly the Argos were on a trend upward and with Jones it's always a first year gong show - now with the Esks extending into season 2 looking like it may never end.

Looks like a new starting QB in Edmonton:
QB change: Edmonton Elks to name Jarret Doege or Tre Ford as new starter
https://3downnation.com/2023/07/31/qb-c ... w-starter/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is funny.

3 Down rate Atlantic Schooners in 9th spot rankings this week, one spot ahead of Edmonton Elks.

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/31/3dow ... contender/
9) Atlantic Schooners (-)

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie says that there has “never been a better chance” for CFL expansion and while a Halifax franchise does not officially exist yet, they’ve still recorded the same amount of home victories as Edmonton since 2019. The long-awaited team in the Maritimes has also scored the same amount of points against the B.C. Lions this year, a real accomplishment for their no-name roster.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just a shuffling of the chairs on the Titanic. Edmonton needs to fire Chris Jones.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:51 pm
Just a shuffling of the chairs on the Titanic. Edmonton needs to fire Chris Jones.
That would be a consideration but with no logical successor on staff to take over it'd be unfair to a new HC to try and salvage this season UNLESS you had a CFL experienced HC immediately available which is unlikely.

Also with so many hats Jones is wearing given he's supposed to be on a series of 1 year deals or so I think I read - it's not likely to happen.
Blitz
Team Captain

Good ol Wally!! The "Legends' work continues!! :)
"At 0-8, with 21 consecutive home losses and a scoreboard that’s become out of reach, nothing is funny. And minor moves aren’t going to pacify a justifiably furious fan base. Or what’s left of it, anyway.

Head coach and general manager Chris Jones and club president and CEO Victor Cui are easy — and fair — targets. But what about the current and previous board of directors?

What about the Wally Buono-led search and then-chairman of the board Ian Murray, who decided to offer Jones four years, (and what may be a fully guaranteed four years)? They, along with current board members — Tom Richards, Kara Flynn, Brent Hesje, Mike Bacchus, Darryl Boessenkool, Kevin Parkes, Zahra Somani, Paul Ingram and Jordan Slator — are the real captains of this ship that just hit rock bottom.

Edmonton Sun
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)