Lions vs. Elks July 29, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PGSSS74
Rookie

I for one am glad that Dane Evans can step in as the starter for this game. Dom Davis as backup.

I was not aware (or had forgotten) that Dane is of Indigenous background.

Perhaps the Leos should emphasize this more.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

PGSSS74 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:48 pm
I for one am glad that Dane Evans can step in as the starter for this game. Dom Davis as backup.

They were doing a pretty good job of recognizing local First Nations on Saturday. First they acknowleged the game was being played on unceded lands of the Musqeum, Squamish and a 3rd band whose name is escaping me now. Then they announced that young members of those bands were the ones holding the huge Canada flag they display during the National Anthem. If I recall later they put the camera onto and acknowledged fans of those same groups in the stands and in a suite.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:37 pm
PGSSS74 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:48 pm

They were doing a pretty good job of recognizing local First Nations on Saturday. First they acknowleged the game was being played on unceded lands of the Musqeum, Squamish and a 3rd band whose name is escaping me now. There they announced that young members of those bands were the ones holding the huge Canada flag they display during the National Anthem. If I recall later the put the camera onto and acknowledged fans of those same groups in the stands and in a suite.
Tsleil-Waututh (pronounced "slay-watooth") The three names are regularly mentioned now at many public events in Vancouver.
PGSSS74
Rookie

Dane Evans is a member of the Wichita tribe, in present-day Oklahoma.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

PGSSS74 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:04 am
The publicity of the indigenous background of Dane Evans and the Riders QB Mason Fine both from Oklahoma that I heard was post-game.
The at-game stuff was good too.

Wally said he never wanted to market off ethnicity but it could help as Canada has a changing demographic and reaching those target groups who like collective gatherings is a positive thing. Making them actual fans is another.

This outing for Dane Evans is a positive for the Lions with QBs getting hurt.
Finding ways to keep QBs involved in every game is important also but not all teams do that trusting their guy won't get hurt. That's a problem that never goes away in an 18 game league.

If Adams wasn't nicked and kept playing but got nicked for the western semi or final, it'd remind fans of the Bombers Kevin Glenn breaking his arm and unprepared Ryan Dinwiddie left to play the Grey Cup.

The dangerous games to lose in team sport are top vs bottom feeders and eventually Chris Jones' team will find a win.
With Edmonton and Sask the first times, Jones started bad but it all got good in year two. Well so far that scenario looks far from playing out.
The McAdoo offense and the QB situation is a major problem there. Cornelius has moments of brilliance but....
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
squishy35
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:11 am
PGSSS74 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:04 am
The publicity of the indigenous background of Dane Evans and the Riders QB Mason Fine both from Oklahoma that I heard was post-game.
The at-game stuff was good too.

Wally said he never wanted to market off ethnicity but it could help as Canada has a changing demographic and reaching those target groups who like collective gatherings is a positive thing. Making them actual fans is another.

This outing for Dane Evans is a positive for the Lions with QBs getting hurt.
Finding ways to keep QBs involved in every game is important also but not all teams do that trusting their guy won't get hurt. That's a problem that never goes away in an 18 game league.

If Adams wasn't nicked and kept playing but got nicked for the western semi or final, it'd remind fans of the Bombers Kevin Glenn breaking his arm and unprepared Ryan Dinwiddie left to play the Grey Cup.

The dangerous games to lose in team sport are top vs bottom feeders and eventually Chris Jones' team will find a win.
With Edmonton and Sask the first times, Jones started bad but it all got good in year two. Well so far that scenario looks far from playing out.
The McAdoo offense and the QB situation is a major problem there. Cornelius has moments of brilliance but....
How McAdoo has a job as an OC is stupifying. Cornelius looks like a deer in headlights despite starting many games last year and this year. Even turning to a very basic offensive scheme would likely generate more success for the Elks.
OV:54-40
Starter

Kinda intersting to see what young Crum has done for the RedBlacks offence with the run threat; that and he has shown a pretty decent passing arm and decision making smarts for a young QB. Sets up a diverse offence - RBs do damage last game with the QB run threat, and various pass options.

Cornelius is a big QB who can run and has shown flashes again this year of being effective when he runs early and that helps set up other stuff. That clown Jones also has a QB by the name of Tre Ford at his disposal - way faster than Crum and way more experienced in Canadian ball - but Jones has zero clue about managing QBs or game planning to their strengths.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Quarterback Dane Evans will be joined in the Lions’ starting lineup Saturday by running back Taquan Mizzell and receiver Justin McInnis, while the starting defence remains unchanged from the unit that held Saskatchewan without a touchdown last week. Mizzell replaces Shaun Shivers, and he’ll have no backup as both Shivers and national RB Kienan LaFrance have been moved to the 1-game injured list. McInnis, who started several games for Keon Hatcher earlier this season, will replace Dominique Rhymes (knee) this week. Daniel Petermann returns to the active roster as backup receiver, while American Brooks Parker returns as a backup linebacker and special teamer.

Lions’ depth chart and roster
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that there are only two running backs in the lineup?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:33 pm
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that there are only two running backs in the lineup?
I’d love to see the Lions dress a second running back who who could spell off the starter, but they seem content to have David Mackie available as an emergency RB if needed. In 5 games as a backup, Kienan LaFrance has 7 carries for 27 yards and one reception for 4 yards. To dress an American backup, he would likely have to be used as the primary kick returner.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Who is the punt/kick returner?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:58 pm
Who is the punt/kick returner?
Terry Williams.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:46 pm
I’d love to see the Lions dress a second running back who who could spell off the starter, but they seem content to have David Mackie available as an emergency RB if needed. In 5 games as a backup, Kienan LaFrance has 7 carries for 27 yards and one reception for 4 yards. To dress an American backup, he would likely have to be used as the primary kick returner.
I think the thinking may be that they can use Lucky Whitehead in limited running schemes if they need to. They have tried him several times in those end-around handoffs in the past.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:35 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:46 pm
I think the thinking may be that they can use Lucky Whitehead in limited running schemes if they need to. They have tried him several times in those end-around handoffs in the past.
Without a lot of success. Dressing only two RBs pretty well indicates that the game plan will be pass-happy and will make it easier for the Elks defence.
David
Team Captain

I wouldn’t draw that conclusion. I would expect them to use Mizzell quite liberally this afternoon. They have a capable back-up in Mackie.

What I would like to see is Terry Williams used more in certain receiving packages. He was one of our most effective pass catchers in training camp/preseason.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar