Montreal vs. B.C. July 9, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Punt coverage is horrible
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, it wasn't a classic to be sure but it is a W and they get a well deserved bye now. They probably could use it at this point in the season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Cut the TV sound and synched up the Moj and Caravatta.

man are they childish.
tedbear
Starter

Great Win by the boys. And a fantastic bounce back game from VA as it is laughable on how many people turn on him over 1 game.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

tedbear wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:23 pm
Great Win by the boys. And a fantastic bounce back game from VA as it is laughable on how many people turn on him over 1 game.
Copy that
Walt67
Starter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:08 pm
Am I the only one that thinks there is too much crap, too close to the field of play? One player crashes into the TV Cart. Another gets caught up in a one of those portable fences while narrowly missing a propane tank.
The way guys like Lee hurl their bodies around to make plays they do need to take more care of the extra crap on the sidelines and around the end zone. Those flat grey areas on either side of the end zone need better padding for one thing, as you mention.
Walt67
Starter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:27 pm
Call me unimpressed with this game so far. Adams looks tentative, his passes aren't quite on target and sooner or later, he is going to be late or lead too much and it is going to turn over..
The D didn't look very sharp either especially in that last 40 seconds. That last reception, don't touch the player on the ground. Play isn't dead unless he is touched. 1 sec. !!!! Clock runs out. Lions are a bit lucky to be up as much as they are. Hopefully, they will settle down a little in the second half but the O needs to be a lot crisper and quicker.
And now the wisdom of only one RB rears it's head. Is Shiver's good for the 2nd? I'm not sure he will be. So no run game except for Mackie who also has no backup. Not sure what the brain trust is thinking there?
Interesting point about Mack being on the ground and not tagging him - I thought there was a rule that they can blow the whistle if the progress is stopped and the play is "over" to prevent this kind of tactic, but it usually takes a few seconds for the zebras to whistle the play dead. But yes, not tagging him would have been better "football awareness".
OV:54-40
Starter

Good solid win; but lucky with that bogus INT call that should have been a pick 6 for the Als. I thought all scoring plays were automatically reviewed ? chintzy call if so. That interference call on Bagayogo was bogus too IMO. Refs trying to do too much.

That new mini back is impressive.

How bout that hurdle by Mackie on a kick -return - spectacular; this guy is a big load with some wheels and needs a few touches on offence a game IMO.
Walt67
Starter

A few observations:
1. The Als kick return team members were the Lions' best allies - they took 6-7 penalties on kick returns putting poor Fajardo in grim starting field position most of the night. Thanks, guys.
2. I though VA looked more like his better self as the game wore on. He threw a nice pair of completions leading to the Cottoy throw - and he had two clutch over-the-middle throws but both were called back by penalty - he didn't try to light the world on fire but he rarely forced it
3. Shivers was entertaining - he'll be even more so now that he has learned that CFL tacklers will usually try to force fumbles
4. I hope that was just a cramp for Betts
5. kudos to the O-line for a very solid game against a nasty D
Walt67
Starter

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:59 pm
Good solid win; but lucky with that bogus INT call that should have been a pick 6 for the Als. I thought all scoring plays were automatically reviewed ? chintzy call if so. That interference call on Bagayogo was bogus too IMO. Refs trying to do too much.

That new mini back is impressive.

How bout that hurdle by Mackie on a kick -return - spectacular; this guy is a big load with some wheels and needs a few touches on offence a game IMO.
That was a very borderline call on the Adams pick - there were a few around the league this weekend. That said, there was technically an infraction by the Als defender, and of course that makes it impossible to overturn by review.
Of course that overturned call kinda turned the game into one of those "alternative reality" or "what if" movies - if the play stands we could have been looking at a very different Adams and a very different game.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks there is too much crap, too close to the field of play? One player crashes into the TV Cart. Another gets caught up in a one of those portable fences while narrowly missing a propane tank.
never have been able to understand why they didnt build the stadium with a lot more space around the endzones
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Alputt
Champion

A few scary throws on Offense and missed tackles on D, but you can't argue with that score and it was a great afternoon at BC Place!

I even bumped in to Amar Doman and had a brief hello. I think he's doing a great job.
Alputt
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:23 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
never have been able to understand why they didnt build the stadium with a lot more space around the endzones
I was commenting on this also! Players sliding into the tunnel and into the wall... It's only a couple feet to the banners. Probably as simple as cost cutting by the provincial government of the day.

I did take home one of those "BC Place: 40 Years" collector cups...
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I do remember that when building BC place, an application was made to the league to shorten the endzone because the design of the building didn't leave much room. It was denied.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:19 pm
Cut the TV sound and synched up the Moj and Caravatta.

man are they childish.
Moj continues to demonstrate how little he knows about football.