CFL Week 6

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Annnnd the Elks again find a way to reach new lows. 20 consecutive home losses. 1 more and they will stand alone having the worst home losing streak in professional sports history. 5 Grey Cups in a row is ancient history for this once storied franchise. Honestly, they have seemed to be on a slow downward slide since their 2015 GC. But I never thought they would sink this low. Even when the Lions were 0-5 in 2011, they didn't look this incompetent.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Elks just keep finding different ways to lose games. I can’t even come up with half the ways they breakdown taking a loss from what should be a win. Jones wears this well, most despised opposition HC in the CFL. Can’t fire him as his GM/HC/DC salary binds him to the Elks for his contract I suspect.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

So much for the City of Champions. Now City of Chumps. Wonder how Geroy Simon is enjoying his time in Edmonton.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

The new Game Tracker on cfl.ca is even worse than it was before.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Chad Kelly the best thing to happen in the CFL since Nathan Rourke. Good news is he is 29 and the NFL window likely never opens.

Monster performance tonight for still purrfect Argos in arguably the game of the year so far. A shame they don’t come to BC Place this season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cody Fajardo on the other hand.............
David
Team Captain

Irrespective of Montreal's performance against the Argos, which I thought was really solid going toe-to-toe with the Grey Cup Champs, I believe there are 3 tiers right now in the CFL Despite what Craig Dickenson (who always looks like he just wandered off the set of The Andy Griffith Show) opined the other day, that all teams 'are kind of the same,' they're not.

Toronto
B.C.
Winnipeg

Montreal
Saskatchewan
Calgary

Hamilton
Ottawa
Edmonton

A case could be made for Hamilton being in the 2nd tier but I haven't been impressed so far. 2-3 fewer boneheaded plays and Edmonton could beat them.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks for making my weekend RedBlacks!!!!

Anyone who missed the improbable comeback it airs at 1 a.m. on TSN 2
Alputt
Champion

What an amazing weekend on our bye week, Ottawa and Calgary ensuring Lions remain on top of the West, only downside really is I was hoping MTL would hand the Argo's an L... Super entertaining ball games all around.
Alputt
Champion

David wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:36 am
Irrespective of Montreal's performance against the Argos, which I thought was really solid going toe-to-toe with the Grey Cup Champs, I believe there are 3 tiers right now in the CFL Despite what Craig Dickenson (who always looks like he just wandered off the set of The Andy Griffith Show) opined the other day, that all teams 'are kind of the same,' they're not.

Toronto
B.C.
Winnipeg

Montreal
Saskatchewan
Calgary

Hamilton
Ottawa
Edmonton

A case could be made for Hamilton being in the 2nd tier but I haven't been impressed so far. 2-3 fewer boneheaded plays and Edmonton could beat them.

Look about right... I think Sask might be slipping though (Trevor Harris injury) with either Ottawa or Hamilton possibly earning promotion.
Rammer
Team Captain

I would put Montreal ahead of both the Stamps and Riders before the Harris injury. Now the Riders have to drop below the Stamps, as those three teams each on their own level.

Riders may have dropped to the bottom tier.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:57 pm
Thanks for making my weekend RedBlacks!!!!

Anyone who missed the improbable comeback it airs at 1 a.m. on TSN 2
Made mine as well. Last play of regulation and I thought no way does Crum make it in and time has run out. Then he did and he even hit the two point convert end zone throw, when three previous drives fizzled at first and goal.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Will take the solo lead atop the West but just horrible it came at the expense of what looked like a serious injury to Harris. Fine at least didn’t look bad in relief and we will see him under centre at BC Place on Saturday.

Watching the wild finish to the RedBlacks’ improbable win age may just be catching up with the Bombers after a dominant stretch. Biggie was in position to make the game winning tackle in regulation but Crum made him miss.
Adam turns 35 in October. Hall loves to blitz a lot and Khari Jones made some nice adjustments in the 2nd half to make the Bombers pay by getting the ball out of Crum’s hand fast.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Alputt wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:56 pm
David wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:36 am

Toronto
B.C.
Winnipeg

Montreal
Saskatchewan
Calgary

Hamilton
Ottawa
Edmonton

Look about right... I think Sask might be slipping though (Trevor Harris injury) with either Ottawa or Hamilton possibly earning promotion.
I was thinking about this the other day. I felt like there are the Argos, Lions and Bombers clearly making up the top third of the CFL with Edmonton entrenched in the basement. Then there are the Elks entrenched in the basement. The other 5 though? How to sort them out? They make up a bit of a dog's breakfast. Based on their 3-1 record coming into this weekend the Riders were getting listed #4 in the Power Rankings almost by default because a case couldn't be made for anyone else to be #4. It was really hard to figure out where Saskatchewan was fitting but after yesterday's injury to Harris I think they slide into that bottom 3rd. They may have already been there IMO.

They say you are who your record says you are but methinks in asterisk could have been applied to the Riders' 3-1 record. True they won 3 but could easily have been 0-4. 2 of the 3 wins came against the free spot on the CFL bingo card aka the Edmonton Elks and they barely pulled them off. A huge goal line stand with under 5 minutes to go helped them eke out a 4 point win in Week 1. Last week the Riders generated 3 points in the first 57 minutes of play before starting their game tying and lone TD drive. Much was made about Sims rookie error surrendering the rouge on the ensuing kickoff missed costing the Elks the game or at least the chance to win in OT. However earning 1 single out of a possible 6 1st half points when Faithfull missed FGs from 32 and 46 was more impactful in the Riders eking out the 1 point win.

Then one can look at the 3rd win. That came against Calgary who until yesterday had only beaten Ottawa. That game went to double OT with the Riders finally securing the win when Maier threw an inexplicable endzone interception with Calgary already range for a 25 yard FG to tie.

Add them up and the Riders 3 wins came by a combined 8 points vs teams that going into this weekend were a combined 1-8.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Nasty injury to Trevor Harris. A tibial plateau fracture. Almost certainly out for the season, as it will require surgery and several months recovery.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/riders ... -1.6481935

https://ota.org/for-patients/find-info- ... a_dt/desc/