CFL Week 6

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

CFL 2023 Week 3

Thursday
BC 30 Winnipeg 6

Friday
Montreal 38 Hamilton 12

Grey Cup hosts fall to 0-3 and Orlando Steinauer must be wondering why he left behind his NCAA coaching career to come back to this. Bottom line is the Ti-Cats just keep regressing since June Jones departure after spending a boat load on free agency this past off-season. Meanwhile, a great start for Jason Mass and Cody Fajardo. Paul LaPolice says Montreal has the best defence in the league so far. We will learn more about the Als when they host Winnipeg next week and come to BC Place July 9.

Saturday
Saskatchewan 29 Calgary 26

After a snooze fest opening half, it turned out to be a wild finish with the Stamps getting a 53-yard FG to force OT only to lose on a Nick Marshall interception after a horrible decision by Jake Meier to throw into double coverage. It’s been a rough ride for Meier since being yanked in last year’s Western Semi-Final against BC yet Dickenson doesn’t seem overly keen to go to Tommy Stevens either.

Sunday
Toronto (1-0) at Edmonton (0-2) 4 p.m.
David
Team Captain

How could Lapo say Montreal has the best defence in the league when BC has only surrendered one touchdown and 21 points in 3 games?

One thing that does concern me with all of our afternoon starts at home is that we’re giving up the ‘West Coast factor,’ when teams from the East would be kicking off at 10:00pm body clock time.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Calgary is a rebuilding team that has been hit hard by injuries at skill positions. They will probably get better as the year goes on if they’re healthy but they’ll still have to scrap for a playoff spot.

Saskatchewan is improved with Trevor Harris at QB.

Winnipeg has been punched in the face once. They should bounce back.

In the East, Toronto looks to be the team to beat.

Montreal is doing well despite the loss of Harris and several star receivers.

Hamilton is a complete mess. They need to clean house on and off the field. They don’t seem to have any discipline or team chemistry.

Ottawa should be better when Masoli returns.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As for the 4 p.m. starts, they work for me during the summer. I can leave home in Kamloops at noon, pick up my seatmate in the Fraser Valley and be back home around 11 p.m. I wouldn't want to make that drive in bad weather, especially with earlier sunsets. Last week I passed one of the team's express buses to Kamloops and Kelowna about halfway home.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure that Maier is going to the the answer at QB in Calgary. He is still relatively new and perhaps that is what is showing but he has displayed a tendency to bad judgement on occasion. The most glaring recent example was the pick in overtime yesterday. He needed 7 yards for a first down and he had gobs of real estate after he broke contain. Instead he threw it into tight coverage while on the run and ended up losing the game.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Argos look impressive in handing the Elks their 19th consecutive loss at home. Balanced attack with impressive line play on both sides of the ball.
National RB A.J. Ouellette was barely touched on any of his three touchdowns. The defending cup champs are legit with excellent depth and Kelly running the show. It should be terrific match-up next Monday in TO.
The teams should be sitting 1-2 when the power rankings are released in the next couple of days.
Really too bad the Argos do not make their way to BC Place this season.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Really, they aren't here at all? Oh Boy. Kind of like 2 games against the Peg in the Peg and not seeing them here until the last week when placements are probably decided.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How long will Taylor Cornelius remain as the starting quarterback of the Elks ? How long will Chris Jones remain coach and general manager ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chris Jones went into this week saying he wasn’t planning to change quarterbacks, then he went through three quarterbacks in the first four offensive plays of the third quarter. Taylor Cornelius went 12 for 16 in the first half and had the Elks within one point of the Argos, but he was pulled after two short completions in the third quarter forced a punt, which was blocked to set up an Argo touchdown. Kai Locksley then came in for one play and fumbled to set up an Argo field goal. Rookie Jarrett Doege came in, trailing by 19, and completed the game, going 9 for 11 for 163 yards, 2 TDs and a pick-6. Is he the answer? Will we see another shuffle next game? Who knows? Chris Jones is running a gong show. The Elks have a lot of problems besides quarterback.
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:32 pm
Calgary is a rebuilding team that has been hit hard by injuries at skill positions. They will probably get better as the year goes on if they’re healthy but they’ll still have to scrap for a playoff spot.

Saskatchewan is improved with Trevor Harris at QB.

Winnipeg has been punched in the face once. They should bounce back.

In the East, Toronto looks to be the team to beat.

Montreal is doing well despite the loss of Harris and several star receivers.

Hamilton is a complete mess. They need to clean house on and off the field. They don’t seem to have any discipline or team chemistry.

Ottawa should be better when Masoli returns.
Malik Henry now out for the season with an Achilles injury.
squishy35
Legend

Need to post this as it's been a while since the Peg has been downgraded:

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/cfl-wee ... t-bombers/
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:49 pm
National RB A.J. Ouellette was barely touched on any of his three touchdowns. The defending cup champs are legit with excellent depth and Kelly running the show. It should be terrific match-up next Monday in TO.
This will indeed be a stiff test for our Leos next Monday. A battle of the two best defensive lines right now (IMO). Just a friendly correction, despite his name and manky mullet, A.J. Ouellette is actually an American RB. A lot of people assume he's Canadian. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones is a gong show. Some guys can occasionally will themselves and their teams all the way over the championship hump but they aren't program builders and they wear out their welcome quickly.

Add offensive line to Calgyra's problems. I can't even mention how many times Riders defenders were beating their linemen with single moves, let alone double moves.

There are, at this point, three legitimate teams in this league. Us, Winnipeg and Toronto. And Toronto looks good because the East is very, very bad.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:25 am
There are, at this point, three legitimate teams in this league. Us, Winnipeg and Toronto. And Toronto looks good because the East is very, very bad.
I would add Montreal to that list at #4, Cro. Some protection problems in Week One notwithstanding, I think they're going to battle the Argos for first in the Least (oops, East) Division. Solid defense. Great special teams. Not the biggest Fajardo fan but Maas will put him in a position to succeed.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:22 pm
Really, they aren't here at all? Oh Boy. Kind of like 2 games against the Peg in the Peg and not seeing them here until the last week when placements are probably decided.
Yes, pretty disappointing to think after Monday BC and Toronto won't meet again unless it's the Grey Cup.

Other interesting match-ups we will be missing out on: Mitchell returning to Calgary, Winnipeg at Toronto and Fajardo returning to Mosiac. BC is not playing in Ottawa this year.

And thanks David for the Ouellete screw-up. Fooled the hell out of me, never mind I thought Harris spelling him off kept their ratio status quo.