Home opener: Lions vs. Elks June 17, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Too many mistakes. Lions need to clean up those mistakes for the second half
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Finally, several pass completions for the first TD. :good:

Lions 19-0.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
MacNews
Team Captain

When did timeouts per half go from 3 to 2?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:35 pm
Actually it went from 1 to 2. Don't get confused with the NFL.

https://cfldb.ca/faq/game-rules-regulations/

Starting in 2013 each team receives two (2) time outs per game, but are only allowed to use one within the 3-minute warning of the second half. The full definition of time outs are found in Rule 1, Section 7, Article 5 of the CFL Rulebook. Prior to 2013 each team was allowed one (1) time out per half in a CFL game and time outs were not carried over if not used.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

22-0 Lions with less than 4 minutes remaining in the game.

Confident in a win? Yes. :beer:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

22-0 Lions final.

The third Lions shutout win in franchise history, and first time since 1977. :beauty: :rockin:
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
MacNews
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:47 pm
MacNews wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:35 pm
Actually it went from 1 to 2. Don't get confused with the NFL.

https://cfldb.ca/faq/game-rules-regulations/

Starting in 2013 each team receives two (2) time outs per game, but are only allowed to use one within the 3-minute warning of the second half. The full definition of time outs are found in Rule 1, Section 7, Article 5 of the CFL Rulebook. Prior to 2013 each team was allowed one (1) time out per half in a CFL game and time outs were not carried over if not used.
Thanks Robbie, I remember before if a coach used a challenge and lost then they had no timeout for the half.
firstandgoal
Rookie

Robbie wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:57 pm
22-0 Lions final.

The third Lions shutdown win in franchise history, and first time since 1977. :beauty: :rockin:
I attended that last shut-out game back in '77 at Empire Stadium. Still can remember the crowd singing "Good by Leo" (Cahill) as the Lions shut out the Argos 30 - 0!! I believe Cahill turned the Lions Head Coaching job down in favour of the Argos..... certainly added a fuel to the fire for the fans.

Great work today on defence!
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
David
Team Captain

firstandgoal wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:00 pm
I attended that last shut-out game back in '77 at Empire Stadium. Still can remember the crowd singing "Good by Leo" (Cahill) as the Lions shut out the Argos 30 - 0!! I believe Cahill turned the Lions Head Coaching job down in favour of the Argos..... certainly added a fuel to the fire for the fans.

Good memory, firstandgoal. I remember that game at Empire as well. Argos had a God-awful QB named George Mira (ex-NFL but long in the tooth by this point). Leos really stuck it to Leo for accepting the Head Coaching position then using it as leverage to get a better deal from the Argos. Loud chants of "Good Bye Leo" rained down from the bleachers (to the tune of "Good Night Ladies").

As for today's game, great atmosphere but it had the feeling of a final tune-up preseason game. Certainly not one in which we want to showcase the CFL game to newbies. A bit choppy and sloppy. It seemed the refs were determined to give the Elks every advantage. Their 3-man pass rush was designed to give VA some tough looks and blanket coverages. He more-or-less just took what they gave him.

Smoke Mizzell is making me forget James Butler real fast. He's got more breakaway speed. Can't wait to see him break a long one soon!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:49 pm
firstandgoal wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:00 pm

Good memory, firstandgoal. I remember that game at Empire as well. Argos had a God-awful QB named George Mira (ex-NFL but long in the tooth by this point). Leos really stuck it to Leo for accepting the Head Coaching position then using it as leverage to get a better deal from the Argos. Loud chants of "Good Bye Leo" rained down from the bleachers (to the tune of "Good Night Ladies").
Despite a home opener and shutout win, in 10+ years from now if there is a discussion on top, favourite, best, or memorable BC Lions regular season wins, will this game be one of them? Extremely unlikely. :hmm:

I guess one reason is that there was nothing spectacular in this game, but it some individual performance or an entire performance. True, the Lions defence shut down the opponent's offence but not in a huge spectactular way.

I'd say a good analogy would be a Lions win over Shreveport on August 27, 1994 with a score of 67-15 in which the team established a record for most points scored in one game and the biggest point differential (+52) in a single game.

Will this game ever be more famous and memorable compared to say, the OT game on August 1, 1991 in which the Lions prevailed 52-41? Impossible.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm not a hip hop fan but must admit the performance by LLCoolJ was very high energy. Sweat was literally pouring from his head halfway through his performance. Doman should be given alot of credit for bringing in big acts . The officials made a couple of very iffy calls on Peters' interception and the fumble recovery on 3rd down.
almo89
Legend

I've watched many games at BC Place over the years dating all the way back to the early 90s. Why does the wave ALWAYS happen when we are on offense? Today we even get a time count violation for it! Pretty embarassing.

Overall it was a fun day. The organization did an amazing job to make it an event. Over 33k attended. Hope they can keep the ball rolling and have some lower bowl sellouts for the other home games coming up.

Offense took a while to get going. According to VA in the post game, he said the Elks were showing looks didn't see before so that might explain all the dink and dunk passes early on and no deep shots. Adjustments were made in the second half and he was able to open it up. I was really impressed with what I saw in Smoke Mizzell. Seemed like he was getting 4-6 yards on every carry.

Defense held the Elks to no points which is impressive, but the Elks did look awful today.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The wave Almo led to a Lions penalty which was insane as the home team fans were making the noise.

I thought Rick Campbell challenging the fumble was a dumb call but Gary Peters IMO had a point that the PI call against him was weak and IMO could have been a decent challenge. The fumble was clearly not going to be overturned for a TD.

If there is one thing the Elks and Lions have in common it's the dislike of the run game. When the Elks rushed 3 only that was the time to have the RB there to keep them honest (although Adams got off a nice run vs 3). McAdoo and Jarius Jackson hate the run more than the Lions OC.

One of the reasons that the Bombers are highly effective is the willingness to run, pass and move the QB around. That makes their talent look even better and they're talented now.

Some good young new Receivers across the CFL. Not sure if the Lions 80 should have caught that potential TD catch or not. Didn't get to see a good angle of it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

More often than not , it's Crazy Pete that starts the wave. He ought to know better.

Elks did themselves no favour by dropping several catchable balls.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It wasn’t a thriller, with just one touchdown scored, but that shouldn’t overshadow the Lions’ masterful defensive performance, recording the team’s first shutout since 1977 and holding Edmonton to just 149 yards of offence. Bo Lokombo and Ben Hladik were superb in shutting down the Elks’ short game. Eugene Lewis had just one catch for 9 yards. The Elks should have spent his $300,000 contract on a quarterback. They can’t win without one.