Jonathon Kongbo traded to Hamilton for conditional pick

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

In a strange turn of events only two weeks after being signed by B.C., the Leos have dealt Jonathon Kongbo to the Tiger-Cats in exchange for a conditional pick, believed to be the 4th rounder that we gave up acquiring Dane Evans from Hamilton.

Farhan Lalji tweeting the Kongbo was "not a fit in the room," with the club very conscious of keeping the great family culture it has cultivated.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think Farhan clears up this mystery:

I’m told Kongbo was “not a fit in the room” & it was important for #BCLions to get back to the chemistry they had before the trade.
This deal eliminates what was going back to #TiCats in the Dane Evans deal; a 4th round pick that escalates to a 3rd.
@CFLonTSN
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

“Not a fit” because I called out star players not showing up for practice, and guys not wanting to work out. Culture matters, it’s called pro football for a reason.
Yikes!!! Lions better look damn good coming out of the gate on Thursday.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yikes, that's quite a bold response. Wow.

I must admit I didn't watch the pres-season broadcast closely to see how he performed but what an outcome for someone they dumped Lemon for.

To me unless Kongbo were a complete d..k, these are coachable areas with players IF they're overstepping how they should act. Ryan Phillips seems like an up front person as does HC Rick Campbell.

This sure is not sounding a brilliant move to let this be a culture fit issue as it sure seems out of character from how he comes across in other videos. I realize Farhan must have got from his contacts.

If he was a locker room problem I can't see how he'd have survived with the Bombers team leaders like Adam Bighill or HC Mike O'Shea. Or, maybe they didn't want him back.

https://twitter.com/King_Kongbo

Day 12 of Training Camp, he sounded a promising fit:

223 views May 25, 2023
"It just feels like a full circle, coming back to my roots," said Jonathan Kongbo, the newly-acquired Defensive Lineman who spent some time in Surrey during his youth. Kongbo speaks on his welcome to the BC Lions and his excitement to work with his new teammates.

2019 highlights:

Here's a video from 2021 from Bomber days. He seems like a level-headed person:

Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 am
“Not a fit” because I called out star players not showing up for practice, and guys not wanting to work out. Culture matters, it’s called pro football for a reason.
I dunno but seems to me his own words might be evidence of lack of fitting in. BC may have lost significant leadership in Burnham's retirement but still have a solid leadership core. Kongbo may be a CFL veteran but to come into a new team and in less than 2 weeks be calling out team mates can't be anything but disruptive. Maybe his NFL stint has made his head bigger than his helmet.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:07 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
I dunno but seems to me his own words might be evidence of lack of fitting in. BC may have lost significant leadership in Burnham's retirement but still have a solid leadership core. Kongbo may be a CFL veteran but to come into a new team and in less than 2 weeks be calling out team mates can't be anything but disruptive. Maybe his NFL stint has made his head bigger than his helmet.
Yes, I tend to agree. I saw no signs of conflict in Kamloops but this is a tight-knit veteran club, and the fact that coaches have kept almost all vets on the roster is a sign that they want to preserve the chemistry. All position groups seem to be tight. I noticed it most with the DBs and receivers, where experience and familiarity with each other and the scheme is crucial to success.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:07 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

That might be the only plausible explanation.

If your mindset isn't right - and coaches can't get through to the player or team leaders can't quietly get you onside, it may be that they don't want to be here.

As a senior mens' soccer coach (high level teams) was that players not get in the face of others but let me do it. You play. If there's criticism, I'll do it - and naturally it's dealt with properly to not cause the player to lose face.

Having said that, the reality is that the players either support a high performance or they don't and you rely on them if practice is not going right to call it out collectively.

In Kongbo's case here he seems to be reacting to the message in Farhan's tweet.

A local kid sure would be nice to be able to market as the Philpots are elsewhere.
Clash Dance
Rookie

Keon Hatcher not putting up with Kongbo's parting shot at the Lions...

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/05/cult ... b-c-lions/
David
Team Captain

The irony is that Kongbo was interviewed by Moj and Giulio on AM730 a week ago and talked about the importance of locker room culture. He said it was important in Winnipeg where the mantra there was FIFO (fit in or **** off). Which they all laughed at when he changed it to "fit in or find out."

Roar, You Lions, Roar
OV:54-40
Starter

David wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:27 pm
The irony is that Kongbo was interviewed by Moj and Giulio on AM730 a week ago and talked about the importance of locker room culture. He said it was important in Winnipeg where the mantra there was FIFO (fit in or **** off). Which they all laughed at when he changed it to "fit in or find out."

I wonder if Kongbo would have said anything if not for Farrhan's "info" first, saying he didn't "fit in" with Lions' "culture".

And if Kongbo was going to play just a few reps as good ole Canadian "depth", why bother to sign the guy ? Funny thing is though, he goes to a Ticat team with similar plenty of Canadian D-line talent; we'll see how much he plays.
David
Team Captain

Have a hard time believing Mackie and the leadership group would go to mgt unless it was a serious breach of club etiquette. The feeling of him being a "clubhouse cancer." Normally players can get the new guy to fall in line if he's being a bit of a dick or diva. Two weeks in? Methinks it was not a good situation at practice.

I wonder if this means we bring Shawn Lemon back. Or if they're happy with the group they have...

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:55 pm
Have a hard time believing Mackie and the leadership group would go to mgt unless it was a serious breach of club etiquette. The feeling of him being a "clubhouse cancer." Normally players can get the new guy to fall in line if he's being a bit of a dick or diva. Two weeks in? Methinks it was not a good situation at practice.

I wonder if this means we bring Shawn Lemon back. Or if they're happy with the group they have...

Neil McEvoy suggested Monday the Lions aren't interested in Lemon.
McEvoy said Monday that there are no plans to bring him back or add any other veteran pass-rushers.

“We feel we have a really good group,” McEvoy said.
B.C. Lions trade Jonathan Kongbo just days after trumpeting his free agent signing
Qman
Champion

Apparently went crazy at practice when told he would have a minor role in game 1. He said he should be starting. He looked behind the play a bit vs Calgary. Got to agree with coaching staff.

Campbell was having none it. Sounds like we were lucky to get a 4th rounder. He was about to be cut.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:34 pm
Apparently went crazy at practice when told he would have a minor role in game 1. He said he should be starting. He looked behind the play a bit vs Calgary. Got to agree with coaching staff.

Campbell was having none it. Sounds like we were lucky to get a 4th rounder. He was about to be cut.
Interesting that he reacted like that versus look at this from a season perspective where if the guy(s) ahead of him isn't (aren't) doing the job, he'll be called upon.

Wow. Keon Hatcher wasted no words!

Not sure I'd call the Patrick Bet-David tweet "Fire" as did Hatcher when this money-obsessed entrepreneur suggests is a hero - but then again that's not surprising with many US players in football with right wing conservative views. I found that Patrick Bet-David bordering on who is a hero opening on homophobic and full of a a lot of narrow-minded contrasts.

Sounds like Kongbo has an inflated ego or immaturity still.
It sure seemed like a good trade when he came in.
I guess they saw little upside to trying to work something out.
Right or wrong as a pro, you have to suck it up at times and wait for a shot.

I still think it'd be great to have another local player here in BC if Doman's work with minor football is to be supported.

https://3downnation.com/category/news/
B.C. receiver Keon Hatcher replied to Kongbo’s message and accused him of quitting on the team after receiving a lack of reps in a crowded defensive end rotation.

“But you quit? Very Pro of you my boy,” wrote Hatcher. “And you sure them feelings wasn’t hurt cuz you wasn’t in rotation like that?”

https://twitter.com/search?q=keon%20hat ... yped_query
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Patrick Bet-David ??