Training camp 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:27 pm
Is the double booking on the City? Or on TRU?

I recall, probably in 2019, the Lions were running a practice while at the same time a HS track meet was under way. If I recall the track meet was down to a couple of races at that point in the day. So it's not like this conflict hasn't come up in the past but maybe in earlier years when camp started later in the month or in early June there was no conflict.
The city double booked Hillside Stadium and the Lions didn't find out until Wednesday afternoon, with no time to make alternate arrangements. Including today, there are just three more scheduled training camp practices to prepare for two preseason games (this Saturday in Regina and next Thursday in Vancouver).
Qman
Champion

I vote for ubc in 2025.
Of course, you’re not going to get any money out of the province/ubc, like they do kamloops.

They did chilliwack for a year, before kamloops. It rained too much.

Courtenay and Kelowna probably still bid.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:36 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:27 pm
Is the double booking on the City? Or on TRU?

I recall, probably in 2019, the Lions were running a practice while at the same time a HS track meet was under way. If I recall the track meet was down to a couple of races at that point in the day. So it's not like this conflict hasn't come up in the past but maybe in earlier years when camp started later in the month or in early June there was no conflict.
The city double booked Hillside Stadium and the Lions didn't find out until Wednesday afternoon, with no time to make alternate arrangements. Including today, there are just three more scheduled training camp practices to prepare for two preseason games (this Saturday in Regina and next Thursday in Vancouver).
That's where I'm confused. I assumed Hillside Stadium is owned by TRU.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:12 pm
That's where I'm confused. I assumed Hillside Stadium is owned by TRU.
No, Hillside Stadium and the adjacent Tournament Capital Centre and Daybreak Park are all owned and managed by the city,
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions returned to Hillside Stadium Thursday for their final practice before the opening preseason game on Saturday in Regina. It's also the third last practice of training camp. A larger than normal contingent of fans was on hand to witness a fast-paced padded practice featuring lots of team play and kickoff practice. We were also treated to a flypast by a couple of CT-155 Hawk jets from Moose Squadron to commemorate the opening ceremonies of the Memorial Cup in Kamloops.

Former Winnipeg defensive end Jonathan Kongbo was on the field for the first time since being signed on the weekend, wearing No. 0 and not the No. 53 he was expected to don. He got some reps on the second and third team but was largely uninvolved in preparations for Saturday's preseason game. David Menard and Mathieu Betts again took first-team reps at defensive end with the usual tandem of Josh Banks and Woody Baron inside. Highly touted rookie Amir Siddiq also got some reps at defensive end in place of Menard.

Mike Jones took first-team reps at field corner in place of Jalon Edwards-Cooper, who was dressed but did not participate. There were no other changes on the veteran defence.

On offence, Justin McInnis and Daniel Petermann shared first-team reps at Keon Hatcher's slotback position. Hatcher, who has been bothered throughout camp by plantar fasciitis, was dressed but didn't participate. Antonio Williams got early reps at running back but all three backs shared reps with the first team. Buddy Howell had perhaps his best day in camp, with several big off-tackle runs. There have been no changes on the tight-knit offensive line since the start of camp.

I tried to pay particular attention to the secondary. In addition to Jones today, the tight-knit secondary features veterans Garry Peters, Marcus Sayles, Quincy Mauger and T.J. Lee, with Manny Rugamba at SAM.

The second-team secondary had Josh Flowers and second-round draft pick Siriman Bagayogo on the corners, with Colby Williams and Najee Reams at halfback, second-year Canadian Adrian Greene at safety and Christian Uphoff at SAM.

Bagayogo also got reps at corner on the third team with Jaylon McClain-Sapp at the opposite corner, sixth round draft pick Jassin States-McClean and Canadian free agent Patrice Rene at halfback, Xavior Williams at safety and Colby Williams at SAM, doing double duty. (Good luck to Lions PXP man Bob Marjanovich with McClain-Sapp and States-McClean on the field at the same time, along with Xavior and Colby Williams.)

Dane Evans took his turn in the rotation with Dom Davis as second-team quarterback. The intense team sessions featured a number of contested catches, including an early grab by Dominique Rhymes against T.J. Lee in which both players were shaken up and left the field. Rhymes returned later but Lee sat out the remainder of the practice. He had an ice pack on his left knee for a while but later took it off and didn't show any discomfort. Reams took all of his reps at halfback for the remainder of practice. Among others who made nice catches were Global draft pick Jevoni Robinson, who extended his 6 ft. 8 frame to make a nice catch and run against Rene, and McInnis, who outran Rugamba on an intermediate drag route. McInnis also made a nice catch in tight coverage by Sayles. Bryson Daughtry, who had been getting first-team reps at Hatcher's slotback position in recent days, made a nice comeback catch in front of Colby Williams on a pass from Evans, and third-team wide receiver Ron Hunt made a nice sideline catch against Rene on a pass from rookie QB Judd Erickson.

The defensive backs also won their share of contested plays. Peters made a nice knockdown on a Vernon Adams pass intended for Alex Hollins, and Colby Williams knocked down a pass intended for Hunt. McClain-Sapp should have had the only interception of the day on a pass from Erickson but he couldn't squeeze the ball.

There were no deep completions but there were a couple of missed opportunities due to overthrows. Adams missed Lucky Whitehead on a deep post pattern and Davis overthrew Jaquari Robinson on a deep ball behind Bagayogo.

Despite the Lions cancelling Wednesday's practice due to a conflict with a high school track meet, Rick Campbell called an end to Thursday's planned double practice an hour ahead of schedule, apparently satisfied with the team's preparation.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks BC FAN and Hambone for some outstanding insight over the past couple of weeks.
-On your observations who are the top 5 rookies with the best chance of being on the opening day roster or is that maybe too deep of a number?

-Is Ryder Varga in tough? Canada West defensive player of the year with the Rams but haven’t heard his name mentioned much.

-McElvoy hinted there could be more unpopular choices when it comes to players being released. I can’t even come up with 1 or 2 players from last year’s team that might be in trouble based on the units. Maybe the pre-season games need to be played out first.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s tough to see much change. Maybe Sione Teuhema is in tough with promising newcomers on the D-line. The starting units have been consistent throughout camp. Amir Siddiq has probably supplanted Teuhema.

Rick Campbell said the team wants to add one more American linebacker for special teams. They have the ratio flexibility. That would likely be D.Q. Thomas.

Mike Jones is a veteran who could help the secondary. The Lions didn’t carry an American backup last year. None of the Lions’ young Canadians are ready to step in at corner or halfback. Several rookie DBs will likely be kept on the practice roster.

Running back is obviously going to a new American. Antonio Williams probably has the inside track but Taquan Mizzell has had a good camp. Both will likely be kept around. Buddy Howell isn’t out of the mix.

I’d be surprised if other vets are released, but it wouldn’t be the first time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:22 am
Thanks BC FAN and Hambone for some outstanding insight over the past couple of weeks.
-On your observations who are the top 5 rookies with the best chance of being on the opening day roster or is that maybe too deep of a number?

-Is Ryder Varga in tough? Canada West defensive player of the year with the Rams but haven’t heard his name mentioned much.

-McElvoy hinted there could be more unpopular choices when it comes to players being released. I can’t even come up with 1 or 2 players from last year’s team that might be in trouble based on the units. Maybe the pre-season games need to be played out first.
Rookies? Overall it's difficult to judge because there is so much depth and roster flexibility across both sides of the ball.

I'd wager:
RB - tossup between the 3 Americans but 1 to be named later on the active and 1 on the PR
OL - I think 1 American will be kept on the PR for tackle depth behind Broxton and Perkins. I didn't notice Schleuger at all but wasn't really paying attention to who was on what backup units. It could be him or a rookie American.
WR - Bryson Daughtry was very good filling in for Hatcher in Burnham's old SB spot. I think he's a lock for a spot. Could be on the PR, stashed on the 1G or could well be the opening game starter if Hatcher is still being hobbled by his plantar fasciitis woes.

DL - Amar Siddiq was taking a lot of reps on 2nd unit in place of injured Tuehema. He has a good shot at sticking. And of course there is 1st round pick Francis Bemiy.
LB - I think Varga will find a spot on special teams. He's a ways away from getting any defensive reps. The two rookies to watch for are D.Q.Thomas and Brooks Parker. I don't think either will be starters but they provide valuable talent for depth and scheme rotation. Thomas may be a good fit behind Rugamba at SAM with Parker doing similar for Lokombo at WIL. Veteran Woods likely is backup MAC. With so much NAT depth on the DL Campbell will be able to plug and play any of these 6 LB options to fit the down and distance situation without having to ratio juggle elsewhere.
DB - with the 5 returning starters + Jones there really isn't a good fit for another American but no doubt somebody will be kept for the PR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Any idea who will be on the kick/punt return units besides Terry Williams? We deployed Purifoy and Butler at various times last season, both of whom have departed.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm
Any idea who will be on the kick/punt return units besides Terry Williams? We deployed Purifoy and Butler at various times last season, both of whom have departed.

The second kick returner will be one of the running backs, either Antonio Williams or Taquan Mizzell. If they use a second punt returner, it will likely be either Mike Jones or a rookie WR. Jones is the most likely to win a roster spot but that’s not guaranteed.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm

KR - Williams + starting RB

Backup PR - whitehead.
Qman
Champion

Interesting to see mauger, Teuhema and knevel on trip to Regina.
Are those guys in trouble.

No cooper vs jones? No Hollis? No deballie and cherry? Are those guys safe

Teuhema - by cutting lemon, they made it clear that is the 4th DI spot. You have play specials and RE. 15-20 snaps ST and 20 snaps RE. Apples to apples playing all 3 guys.

Knevel - hasn’t played enough lately

Mauger- maybe some needs to call D plays.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:40 pm
Interesting to see mauger, Teuhema and knevel on trip to Regina.
Are those guys in trouble.
They're on the bubble, especially Teuhema. The Lions are stacked with impressive national talent on the D-line, plus dominant American veterans Josh Banks and Woody Baron and Global fixture Tibo Debaillie. American rookie Amir Siddiq is pushing hard for a spot. Nationals Mathieu Betts, David Menard, Jonathan Kongbo, Nathan Cherry and Francis Bemiy are locks, Adam Wallace has taken some first-team reps, and Josh Archibald is also pushing for a spot. The Lions have no need to play four Americans in the DL rotation.

As for Knevel, he needs playing time. Andrew Peirson is pushing him, and Tyler Packer also looks good. With Noah Zerr also in camp, there's no need for the Lions to play three Americans on the O-line this year.
No cooper vs jones? No Hollis? No deballie and cherry? Are those guys safe
Yes. Debaillie and Cherry form a solid second-team rotation, and look to have improved from their promising rookie seasons.

Ryan Phillips has a habit of shaking up the secondary, but this is a tight-knit veteran unit, and the addition of Mike Jones leaves no holes. The first-team secondary has been hard to penetrate in camp, but there is a big dropoff in experience after that. The question is, can they get Jones on the 45-man roster? They'd have to eliminate one or two American positions on the D-line. Rick Campbell has already said he plans to add at least one American linebacker to the rotation to strengthen special teams. The Lions have the depth to start eight or nine nationals, which they've been doing throughout camp. That creates roster flexibility and opens the door to more rotational Americans in addition to the DI spots.
Qman
Champion

Last year they 1 gamed Americans fox, woods, JEC, Pearson, broxton (players 46-50) plus 9 on PR. I guess this has to do with USFL being around.

My guess
Norman - versatility
Loser of JEC vs jones
Fox or moore
Loser of tuehema vs Siddiq
Backup rb

Cdns and globals, plus a few Americans they can hide on PR

DIs T Williams, flintoft, woods, winner Teuhema/siddiq,
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Random notes from the first half of the Lions-Riders preseason game:

- Second-year DE Josh Archibald staked a strong claim to a roster spot with three special teams tackles.
- Ayden Eberhardt, who may have been the best of the rookie receivers in camp, made a case for at least a practice roster spot with some nice catches and a good punt return.
- Inside linebacker D.Q. Thomas was dominant when on the field, showing why he has the inside track on a roster spot as a rotational linebacker and special teamer.
- The B.C. defence didn't generate much pressure, and allowed Rider QB Jake Dolegala to control the clock with a series of short passes. Sione Teuhema had the only B.C. sack of the half but was also called for a questionable roughing the passer penalty on the play to give the Riders a first down.
- Jaylon McClain-Sapp had two knockdowns but was called for pass interference in the end zone and gave up a lot of first-down catches despite fairly tight coverage. No one else in the secondary stood out.
- DT Marcus Moore had a tackle for a loss to force a punt.
- DT Miles Fox, who has had a quiet camp, had a tackle for loss nullified by the first of two brainless offside penalties by Colby Williams on the goal line, resulting in a Saskatchewan TD.
- Andrew Peirson and Tyler Packer both took reps at guard and centre and may have gained ground i the battle for roster spots with David Knevel.
Christian Uphoff fumble
- Global slotback Jevoni Robinson made three catches and gave up a fumble while needlessly reaching for extra yardage fumbled but made up for it with a nice contested catch at the back of the end zone for B.C.'s only TD.
- Neither Dom Davis nor Dane Evans looked sharp but Evans probably had the better half, going through his progressions and throwing the TD pass to Robinson.