Bye bye Shrum Bowl and SFU football

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Not a good day for collegiate football in Canada and up on Burnaby Mountain. SFU is dropping their football program effective immediately.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/04/simo ... l-program/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

There were numerous challenges to football staying at SFU - a number I was involved with in the 70s and 80s.

In recent years the team record didn't mirror earlier years nor is every CFL broadcast like the 70s and 80s a love fest for SFU grads. As many as 5 or 6 times a game, you'd hear SFU.

The unearned media driven by football helped fundraising from major eastern donors who would say things like "I don't know much about SFU but you have a terrific football program."

Now that ability to recruit shifted to programs like UBC.

No longer involved at SFU and not privy to the thinking there, the team playing over their real competition level and moving around leagues plus costs were a killer I'm sure.

It's a sad day for 50 years of players and their families who may not all have gone on to fame in football but who credit those years as some of the best of their lives in helping them prepare for working life.

Unlike UBC who lucked into deep-pocketed Dave Singh, SFU grads with deep pockets like the Beedie family put their big money in non- football/athletics.
I recall Ryan Beedie (not from football) getting an SFU Alumni Award saying his parents told him they'd fund his education wherever he wanted to go. He thought, why would I not just go to the university he could see from his bedroom window.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This will sound like a cruel take coming from a UBC alum but this was a mercy killing. The SFU program had become an embarrassment to Canada and to football in B.C. Generations of leadership at SFU chose to associate with American small colleges rather than build true rivalries with UBC and other Canadian schools that SFU competed with for national talent. It was a failure in all senses. When the school turned its back on U Sports, it began a slow death. I’m sorry for the SFU coaches, players and alums but the program had become a perennial loser on and off the field.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I knew SFU's record had been abysmal over the past 2 decades but didn't realize how bad. They went 18-99 since joining NCAA Div II in 2010 including an 0-29 stretch over the 3 years Kelly Bates was HC. They were slightly better in USports going 16-47-2 over 8 seasons. Combined they had 12 seasons out of 20 where they won either no games or only 1 game. 5-3 seasons in 2003 and 2008 were the only winning seasons in their last 20 campaigns.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't follow college football, so I just assumed that SFU was in the NCAA due to a superior football program. Boy, was I wrong. I guess the "Clansman" thing is now put to rest, although I think they already made or contemplated a name change.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:37 pm
This will sound like a cruel take coming from a UBC alum but this was a mercy killing. The SFU program had become an embarrassment to Canada and to football in B.C. Generations of leadership at SFU chose to associate with American small colleges rather than build true rivalries with UBC and other Canadian schools that SFU competed with for national talent. It was a failure in all senses. When the school turned its back on U Sports, it began a slow death. I’m sorry for the SFU coaches, players and alums but the program had become a perennial loser on and off the field.
During the Lorne Davies years, his take on playing opportunities at driveable distances as the key to keeping costs of travel down.

Gradually it seems the landscape changed including where you could play in the USA.

The other problem is that CIAU requires all your teams to be in or you're not in.

Also university football has made a huge uptick in quality and attraction and SFU was long past able to compete in recruiting.

What I found disturbing is that it seems they could have played this season and then be adrift next year.

They had spring training, hired coaches in March and cut the program for good yesterday.

There is just no deep pocketed alum in the billionaire range for donating who is available to save SFU football.

Not sure if they even tried.

They have a petition that Farhan Lalji has on his Twitter feed.

The SFU sports alumni are pissed as are players who now have degrees going and no place to play in '23.

Not sure of the local community options.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

There's a good article in The Province today. SFU ended up without a chair when the music stopped. The GNAC conference with schools in WA, OR, ID, MT, AK & BC was purrfect for SFU as they could easily commute via bus for most road trips. With the GNAC dropping their sponsorship for football SFU, Central Washington and Western Oregon were invited to join the Lone Star Conference. With schools located in NM, TX, OK and AR it became a much different travel animal for SFU going there and teams from there travelling to SFU. As it was SFU had to play 2 home games in Blaine last year. No idea why other than possibly lack of passports?

Some options mentioned were: Transferring to Div III but apparently they could only do that if the other 16 sports programs went Div III.

Go Div II independent. Concern there was they might struggle getting enough other schools agreeing to games to put together a worthwhile schedule.

Go USports. I believe they could but would need to have all their programs participating in Div II sports that are available in USports transfer as well.

Attempt to apply for an exception to have Canada West allow them to play as a single sport. That might be a slippery slope Canada West doesn't want to go down as it would be unprecedented.

It all gets complicated. The governing organizations don't like the idea of schools only participating minimally. For instance to compete in Div II the school must sponsor at least 5 men's and 5 women's sports or 4 men's and 6 women's. They must sponsor at least 2 team sports for each sex and each playing season.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:15 pm

It all gets complicated. The governing organizations don't like the idea of schools only participating minimally. For instance to compete in Div II the school must sponsor at least 5 men's and 5 women's sports or 4 men's and 6 women's. They must sponsor at least 2 team sports for each sex and each playing season.
Title IX, which doesn't apply to Canadian schools, although I'm sure there's an equivalent, plays into this.

There's some long overdue reckoning that needs to take place here.

First, the reality of college athletics is that it is a very expensive endavour. The majority of programs, even high profile ones like Ohio State tend to run a deficit. That happens in no small part because football is a very expensive sport. Among mid sized colleges (like my alma-mater, the University of Toledo) it is relied upon and expected to generate enough revenue to fund the remainder of the programs. High costs in, in theory, large revenue generation out.

There are exceptions to the rule. Some schools are basketball schools, and that revenue contributes enough to the pool to help fund the program. In fact, a lot of mid-sized US schools focus a lot of their marketing around basketball. More revenue at a lower cost. Soccer is the primary revenue generator at Akron.

Anyway, one way to control costs is to control travel expenses, and to market this, you emphasize the regional rivalries inherent in your sport and conference. For SFU, this should mean swallowing the pride and returning to USport for football, and really, everything else. Because I doubt there's a revenue model that makes the overall athletic program sustainable if you cut football entirely, because fielding a baseball team in the Lone Star Athletic conference and paying for it without the revenue generator that football is supposed to be seems unsustainable in the absence of angel donors.

Second, conferences need to chill out and adjust to the idea that schools are going to consolidate programs in different leagues, particularly in an age where schools are simply not able to fund sports at the level they used to. Again, we see this in the US with sports like soccer. Schools are simply not going to fund soccer within the existing league structure enough for the league to form a quorum, so schools that want to continue to fund that sport are going to go league shopping in search of that quorum to have a league to compete within.

Third, someone should be asking some hard questions about why Theresa Hansen, who tried to torpedo UBC's football program when she was there, is now being given the latitude to pull the plug on SFU's program without seriously examining a transition to USports while the softball team gets ready for a game in...checks notes... Hilo, Hawaii.

This seems like a suboptimal use of the athletic department's budget to me, and probably one she should be held accountable for.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

One comment Cromartie. Football was the only sport SFU played in the Lone Star Conference mostly because the GNAC dropped football. Most likely that was due to them being down to only 3 schools out of their 10 participating in football after Azusa Pacific dropped the sport after 2021 citing increasing costs and lack of in-state competition. They were the last D2 football program in the entire state of California. SFU continues to participate in the GNAC for pretty much everything else.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:21 am
One comment Cromartie. Football was the only sport SFU played in the Lone Star Conference mostly because the GNAC dropped football. Most likely that was due to them being down to only 3 schools out of their 10 participating in football after Azusa Pacific dropped the sport after 2021 citing increasing costs and lack of in-state competition. They were the last D2 football program in the entire state of California. SFU continues to participate in the GNAC for pretty much everything else.
Yep. That one’s on me (busy morning). But I think the larger points still stands as to the expense comparison between GNAC/CanWest, and there should be some serious evaluation as to why the decision to drop football entirely without a thorough examination of finances were made by an admin with a history of advocating for dropping football programs at prior stops.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:23 am
Hambone wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:21 am
Yep. That one’s on me (busy morning). But I think the larger points still stands as to the expense comparison between GNAC/CanWest, and there should be some serious evaluation as to why the decision to drop football entirely without a thorough examination of finances were made by an admin with a history of advocating for dropping football programs at prior stops.
I don't think it's any less expensive for SFU to be in Canada West than in the GNAC. 5 GNAC schools are in WA and OR and easy distance by bus anywhere from just over an hour to Bellingham to 4-1/2 hours to Ellensburg (same as going to Kelowna) and 6-1/2 hrs to Monmouth, OR. GNAC "outposts" are in Nampa, ID and Billings, MT and the 2 schools in Alaska. Looks like the AK schools only compete with SFU in hoops and volleyball with SFU playing both schools on the same road trip once per season.

Conversely in Canada West in addition to the other BC schools they'd be dealing with having to travel to Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Brandon and Winnipeg depending on sport. Even within BC they'd have to travel to PG to play UNBC in hoops and soccer. They would have to fly for that as the alternative is a 9 hour bus ride.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If you go to Twitter you'll see SFU grad Farhan Lalji almost leading the campaign now joined by the Lions owner.

I watched part of a video on FB with the players and the Ath and Rec Director Theresa Hanson and it sure points to horrible decision making on this entire debacle.

If I were tasked to write up a case for football's continuance at SFU, it'd be a challenge on the recent years and debacles and its cost.

Football's only hope rests on three things:

1. a public outcry from significant community leaders like the Lions owner who's actually speaking out now that includes the fact they've screwed both players and coaches when they could have let them play this year.

2. a willingness of SFU to listen and work with those who might save it.
SFU might relent if financial support surfaced. It's a costly business.

3. Finding a place to play if the Lone star won't let them back in as they would have this season only.

CIAU could be forced by significant football players to open its doors but who knows.

I was involved in several points in the 70s and 80s when football got saved from the precipice.
The conditions and leadership and football landscape was different then. Lorne Davies had a powerful ally in then VP Admin George Suart and also when they attempted to fundraise for major donors in the East. Then fund-raising director related how back east they were saying they knew little of SFU other than they had a great football program. That saved it that time.

Then President Dr Pauline Jewitt forced a review and the VP Admin got an English Prof Dr Jerry Zaslove to review the program. Dr Jewitt was knew and only knew that Jerry had supported the striking PSA faculty and students so I assume she accepted Jerry for this as she thought he'd recommend killing the program.
What Dr Jewitt didn't know is that he was a university basketball player from the USA who had a scholarship. Jewitt did laugh and said to the VP - you shafted me.

The other crisis all while Lorne Davies headed A&R was headed off by a series of actions including a report that valued the earned media from football at IIRC about $900,000. However, that included how many times on a CFL program SFU was mentioned. Not as much as in those days nowadays.

The problem at SFU is deep pocketed rich people have donated buildings - Joe and Rosalie Segal, Morris J Wosk , Jack Diamond and the Beedie family who've named the business school and offer scholarships.

During Lorne Davies years he built allies in student leadership group, kept athletes voting in elections and had broad support across the university. He was a master relationship builder. It didn't hurt that he was a tenured Professor in the Faculty of Education still despite all other coaches no longer granted that.

I hope the program can be resurrected but the days of giant athletic directors like at UBC and at SFU with Lorne Davies all long gone.

My last meeting with Lorne and his wife was in 2004 when he and I our wives were invited for a dinner with just the Univ President, Lorne and myself and wives.
I then left for Hong Kong for 8 years in '07.

I know Chris Beaton - an SFU grad - started to lose and they turfed him but since then that program lost a lot and the revolving door of coaches really hurt them.
Frank Gnup at UBC was a real losing coach but these guys like Chris brought some stability and continuity to the program.

Gnup was succeeded by great coaches at UBC who could both recruit and win. Coach continuity is key here.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 am

3. Finding a place to play if the Lone star won't let them back in as they would have this season only.
The one part I don't get is why they didn't play out this season to buy them more time to come up with a solution.

Biggest issue there is finding a where. D2 was a non-starter unless Lone Star changed their minds. Lone Star covers NM, TX, OK and AK plus the 3 GNAC schools they took on. The NM member in Portales is so close to the TX border that the most sensible travel route might be thru Amarillo TX. The other "close" D2 football conference is the Rocky Mountain Conference with most of the schools being in CO, ND and SD. They already have 10 teams. Central Washington and Western Oregon are now the only D2 football programs west of Colorado, the Dakodas and TX/NM.

Pretty much leaves USports and NAIA. Either way they'd have to convince or dictate to the 16 sports that they have to abandon D2 competition for the sports available. Some sports would still have to find a place to play south of the border. UBC competes in NAIA for several sports. NAIA wouldn't be any cheaper for travel than GNAC.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:43 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 am

The one part I don't get is why they didn't play out this season to buy them more time to come up with a solution.

Biggest issue there is finding a where. D2 was a non-starter unless Lone Star changed their minds. Lone Star covers NM, TX, OK and AK plus the 3 GNAC schools they took on. The NM member in Portales is so close to the TX border that the most sensible travel route might be thru Amarillo TX. The other "close" D2 football conference is the Rocky Mountain Conference with most of the schools being in CO, ND and SD. They already have 10 teams. Central Washington and Western Oregon are now the only D2 football programs west of Colorado, the Dakodas and TX/NM.

Pretty much leaves USports and NAIA. Either way they'd have to convince or dictate to the 16 sports that they have to abandon D2 competition for the sports available. Some sports would still have to find a place to play south of the border. UBC competes in NAIA for several sports. NAIA wouldn't be any cheaper for travel than GNAC.
I took a look yesterday at where old SFU NAIA schools in football were.

Whenever I spoke with Lorne Davies the first HC and and AD, his point was how there were some 200 colleges and universities in driveable distances and these were south of the border. Other than UVIC and UBC the rest was flights.

SFU is a Division 2 school within the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) but not many play football any more.

Closest rival back in the 'old' days was Western Washington - no football as it got too expensive.

Also the NAIA schools closest are Southern and Eastern Oregon!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... otball.png

The SFU footall board position to support the injunction being sought next week is several:

> players had all signed commitments to SFU which were binding.
> coaches hired, spring training held including a player injured with a broken leg
> university had committed to this year
> Alum have been in ongoing contact. They have an outstanding chair of alum football who is with others on top of this.

While SFU said it was not about money, it is about money!

Unless the big hitters who've spoken out and spoke to the university can bring in some serious operational funding from various sources outside SFU I doubt football can survive.

SIGN the PETITION might do some good.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Randie Ambrosie:

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/08/cfl- ... ball-team/
Thank you to the BC Lions, CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie, and CFL Owners for your support for SFU Football!

To: Chief Executive Officer of U SPORTS, Managing Director of Canada West, Athletic Directors and Head Coaches of U SPORTS Football Programs

From: Randy Ambrosie, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League Re: Simon Fraser University Football Program

Dear Pierre, Rocky, and Athletic Directors and Head Coaches of U SPORTS’ Football Programs,

As you all know, Simon Fraser University has discontinued its football program effective immediately. I am writing to seek your support for facilitating the continuation of that program by allowing it to return to Canada West and U SPORTS competition.

Of course, it is well understood that the discontinuation of the Simon Fraser football program impacts student-athletes, coaches, staff, volunteers, fans, and others within the university community who have put so much effort and passion into that program. However, the decision also affects Canadian football as a whole, including the Canadian Football League. Our game and our league have been through challenging times, yet we stand at the precipice of a new era - the beginning of a new beginning. We are excited about partnering with and promoting our players, embracing technological innovation, pursuing expansion to new markets, and strengthening our bond with our millions of fans across the country. To do that, and to achieve all of our shared vision for the gridiron game in Canada, we need more high- level football programs and elite players here, not fewer.

The program at Simon Fraser University has been a significant part of our country's football fabric. Simon Fraser has produced 217 CFL draft picks – the most of any school in Draft history. As you have witnessed over the past few days, the school also boasts a very proud and vocal alumni group.
In addition, BC Lions owner Amar Doman is a strong supporter of the program and football in the province. Mr. Doman’s commitment is highlighted by spearheading the return of the annual ‘Shrum Bowl’ against UBC in 2022 with plans to make the rivalry game even bigger this year. Growing football at the amateur and grassroots levels is something every pro team in Canada is proud to support.

Ultimately, our football ecosystem needs to rally together and do everything in our collective power to help save Simon Fraser's program. I would never claim expertise in the complexity or nuances of the rules, regulations, and policies set by U SPORTS and Canada West, and I am aware of the sensitivities in these circumstances and of the risk of granting exceptions to otherwise clear protocols. However, as the great John Wooden once said, “An effective leader allows exceptions to the rule for exceptional results or when circumstance demands.” Saving the Simon Fraser University football program would certainly be an exceptional result, and the risk of losing that program is certainly a circumstance that demands an exception.

Accordingly, in light of all of the above, I would ask that each of you take whatever steps you can, be that a letter to U SPORTS and/or Canada West, a call to your representative on the Board of those organizations, or a conversation with your respective institution’s senior leadership, to advocate for permitting the return of Simon Fraser University football to U SPORTS and Canada West competition if and when it applies to do so. I understand that the first step is theirs, but the ultimate decision will be yours, and I am confident that you will make the right one.

Sincerely,
Randy Ambrosie CFL Commissioner