R.I.P. Bobby Hull (3 January 1939 - 30 January 2023)

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Foxhound
Starter

So very sad. Bobby Hull, the Golden Jet, has passed away. He was my favourite hockey player when I was a kid.

He was without peer in his prime. Enormously strong, he was both the fastest skater and had the fastest shot in the NHL throughout at least the 1960's. He won the scoring championship for the first time at the age of 21 in the 1959-60 season. He went on to tie the record for 50 goals in a season in 1961-62 and then shattered it with 54 goals in 1965-66 and 58 goals in 1968-69. He won the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL scoring champion three times in 1960, 1962 and 1966. He won the Hart Memorial Trophy as the NHL's MVP in 1965 and 1966. He made the NHL's First All-Star Team at left wing in 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1972.

His 604 goal total was second only to Gordie Howe's 786 when he shocked the sports world in the summer of 1972 by signing for $1 million with the Winnipeg Jets of the upstart World Hockey Association for whom he went on to score another 301 goals over the next six seasons. While as a Chicago Blackhawk fan I was appalled and saddened when he signed with the Jets, in retrospect Winnipeg, Edmonton and Québec would never have gotten NHL franchises without his signing and probably neither would Calgary. The NHL would likely have evolved into just another sports league completely dominated by American interests.

Image Image

So sad losing my childhood favourite athlete the same month as my all time favourite guitarist, Jeff Beck.

:sigh:
Radically Canadian!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

For those of us who saw Bobby Hull in his prime he truly was the "Golden Jet."

Sad too that his life outside hockey was with controversy and in more recent years, a fall into conspiracy theories - something that makes his reputation tarnished unlike his hockey playing ability and fan treatment which could never be questioned.

That photo of him pitching hay was something I think Gordie Howe did off-season or was Howe hauling cement.

I recall thinking when Hull was in Vancouver playing the Blazers how frustrating it was to see far lesser talents trying to grab him as they couldn't stop him even though we wanted the Blazers who had Johnny McKenzie (former Bruin) on Vancouver's team.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Foxhound
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:50 am
For those of us who saw Bobby Hull in his prime he truly was the "Golden Jet."
Bobby Hull had become known for his blonde locks early in his career but by the time he approached thirty years of age his hairline was in full recession. While watching a Blackhawks game with me on TV circa 1970, my very old school father's remarked "I just can't bear seeing him wearing that wig". Thing is though my father was speaking Lithuanian and the word for "wig" in Lithuanian has a very feminine sound and therefore the whole concept of wearing a wig is very effeminate. I had to laugh. The memory still brings a smile to my face to this very day.

:rotf:
Radically Canadian!