109th Grey Cup Bombers vs Argos Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Could have easily given at least the Top Canadian award to DE Robbie Smith.
Wilfred Laurier grad was a monster in the wild finish. Sack and blocked FG. Also had second straight sack nullified on his face mask call. Also finished with 3 tackles as did Muamba.
He owned all-star Jamarcus Hardrick on that final series.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I suppose from a kicker's perspective, having a field goal blocked in an all important play is not nearly as bad as missing the field goal entirely. As such, I don't think Blue Bombers fans will forever condemn Marc Liegghio for having a Grey Cup winning field goal blocked unlike say Scott Norwood for missing a Super Bowl winning field goal.

I wonder though if there's a compilation on fan reactions on YouTube from both Argonauts and Blue Bombers fans on the blocked field goal attempt by Marc Liegghio to seal the deal for both teams.

There are definitely such fan reaction videos and here are several examples of Vikings and Seahawks reactions in January 2016 when Blair Walsh missed a chip shot game winning field goal.

It looks like the catchphrase expleted by all Vikings fans is: YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

I wonder if that's what Blue Bombers fans said. Although Marc Liegghio's attempt was no chip shot by any means.

Lastly though, I wonder if Blue Bombers fans will get on the back of Marc Liegghio for his missed TD conversion which in the end turned out to be the difference.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
tedbear
Starter

a
Last edited by tedbear on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tedbear
Starter

Robbie wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:55 pm
I suppose from a kicker's perspective, having a field goal blocked in an all important play is not nearly as bad as missing the field goal entirely. As such, I don't think Blue Bombers fans will forever condemn Marc Liegghio for having a Grey Cup winning field goal blocked unlike say Scott Norwood for missing a Super Bowl winning field goal.

I wonder though if there's a compilation on fan reactions on YouTube from both Argonauts and Blue Bombers fans on the blocked field goal attempt by Marc Liegghio to seal the deal for both teams.

There are definitely such fan reaction videos and here are several examples of Vikings and Seahawks reactions in January 2016 when Blair Walsh missed a chip shot game winning field goal.

It looks like the catchphrase expleted by all Vikings fans is: YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

I wonder if that's what Blue Bombers fans said. Although Marc Liegghio's attempt was no chip shot by any means.

Lastly though, I wonder if Blue Bombers fans will get on the back of Marc Liegghio for his missed TD conversion which in the end turned out to be the difference.
In my opinion he is lucky that the field goal was blocked because the way I saw the kick it looked like he did not hit it very well and it looked like he would have missed it to the left. Of course we will never know but as a kicker a blocked kick on the resume looks better than a miss.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Andrew Harris is the only player in Winnipeg that got a 3-peat Grey Cup win.

I'd like to see the awards re-thought to avoid one winner only!
One player getting both is not smart. Henoc Muamba can be MVP but then find a Robbie Smith to be the top Canadian.

I was racking my brain prior to the awards to figure out a game MVP given how both teams played.
Muamba was part of a sold defence and Robbie Smith (40) it seems was really impactful in getting around the outside with pressure on Collaros.

Muamba dropped a INT that he should have had and Smith clearly grabbed Collaros' face mask on the third down gamble setting up a game winning FG that Smith then blocked. The kicked looked like a sure miss from the camera behind the kicker and low at the line.

I was thinking that after that win that Ryan Dinwiddie should have been coach of the year ----not that Mike O'Shea was undeserving.

Listened to some Dinwiddie interviews and others talking about him and he comes across as a HC who sees his job to build a model like what he learned in Calgary and what he sees with Winnipeg as he's clearly learned that - not just x's and o's.

When I compare that with Paul Lapolice who is brilliant at the X's and O's, it struck me that he didn't learn the lessons when he got his second chance at HC in Ottawa.

The country music lovers liked the performers from the game yesterday as I guess outside the country music scene, they aren't as well known.

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/04/country-a ... time-show/
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Joel Gasson lists this as "The Dumb" but who would illegally park a vehicle carrying the Grey Cup and leave it unattended?

I'm not sure where it was parked though.

The Dumb

I don’t know if this is an only in the CFL or only in Regina kind of moment, but it was something.

980 CJME Green Zone analyst Darrell Davis reported during the game the vehicle that was holding the Grey Cup outside of the stadium during the game was towed for illegal parking.

Luckily for the league, and probably the by-law officers that made the call, the vehicle was returned and the cup made its appearance on time.
https://3downnation.com/2022/11/21/the- ... -grey-cup/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Toronto's fullback may have been a good choice for a game award. 2 TDs tbe 2nd of which was a great effort. And the calls for legios sp? Departure were quick to apear and numerous.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:40 am
I'd like to see the awards re-thought to avoid one winner only!
One player getting both is not smart. Henoc Muamba can be MVP but then find a Robbie Smith to be the top Canadian.
But the problem is that when you categorize the awards to limit players in a certain category, then there's obvious discrimination and the non-award winners may complain. And obviously, there's going to be a lot of controversy as well if you introduce a rule saying that only one award for each player.

Regarding the CFL season awards, the Most Outstanding Player award is eligible for ALL players and it is the most prestigious award. So if....

1. If the Most Outstanding Player winner happens to be a Canadian, then by default you must also award him the Most Outstanding Canadian Award.

2. If the Most Outstanding Player winner happens to be a Defensive Player, then by default you must also award him the Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award.

and so on.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

tedbear wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:32 am
In my opinion he is lucky that the field goal was blocked because the way I saw the kick it looked like he did not hit it very well and it looked like he would have missed it to the left. Of course we will never know but as a kicker a blocked kick on the resume looks better than a miss.
As one of Murphy's Laws states: If more than one person is responsible for a miscalculation, nobody will be at fault.

So in a blocked field goal, the offensive linemen are partly at fault for not blocking properly.

The Lions made some crucial mistakes in the 1988 Grey Cup game. Lui Passaglia had a missed field goal and blocked field goal, yet I've never heard Lions fans having grudges against him. And in the Matt Dunigan fatal interception, I've never heard any Lions fans having grudges against him as his offensive lineman didn't block him properly resulting in his pass tipped twice before interception.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:49 pm
tedbear wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:32 am
As one of Murphy's Laws states: If more than one person is responsible for a miscalculation, nobody will be at fault.

So in a blocked field goal, the offensive linemen are partly at fault for not blocking properly.

The Lions made some crucial mistakes in the 1988 Grey Cup game. Lui Passaglia had a missed field goal and blocked field goal, yet I've never heard Lions fans having grudges against him. And in the Matt Dunigan fatal interception, I've never heard any Lions fans having grudges against him as his offensive lineman didn't block him properly resulting in his pass tipped twice before interception.
That's cause we just keep it to ourselves. :wink: Wasn't it that traitorous, former Lion Michael Gray who stuck a dagger in our hearts.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:09 pm
[ Wasn't it that traitorous, former Lion Michael Gray who stuck a dagger in our hearts.
Michael Gray became a Blue Bomber indirectly in that in 1987 there was an equalization draft in that teams which didn't make the playoffs in the previous year could draft players from other teams that were not protected. Ottawa Rough Riders drafted Michael Gray as the Lions didn't protect him, but shortly afterwards decided not to sign him so he became a free agent and Winnipeg scooped him up.
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It was a win by committee type of game. Ouellette did score twice but only put up 24 yards in offence on 7 touchs (6 carries, 1 catch). Harris was much more impactful outside the 5 with 69 yards in offense. Had MBT not got hurt he might have won the MOP in a win. Had the Argos lost then it probably would have been Oliviera winning both MOP and MOC.

I don't think they could justify splitting both awards amongst Canadians. How could they justify saying a Canadian was the most outstanding player in the game but not the most outstanding Canadian in the game?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Pretty simple. The biggest difference between the Argos beating the Bombers and us losing to the Bombers was:

A) The ground game. We could never establish it, so there was no threat of play-action or anything to keep them off-balance. The Argos had 100 yards against the Winnipeg defense while we could only muster 28 (with nearly half of that coming on one Nathan Rourke run). While the Argos didn't exactly wear the Bombers down with the run game, we became far too one-dimensional, and all those "two and outs" kept our D on the field far too long.

B) Defensive line play. We were disruptive in most games this season (3rd in sacks with 45) but not against the Bombers' big and physical Oline. The Argos were able to get to Zach 4x yesterday, hurrying him on other occasions and generally making the veteran pivot uncomfortable in the pocket. We had 1 in the West Final (Betts). Fans were all left to wonder what "might have been" had Stove not reinjured his Achilles back in October. :sigh: No only for getting to the quarterback, but just being more stout against the run would have helped immensely (Oliveira kind of had his way against us with 130 yards on the ground).

Other than that, we were kind of similar to the Argos. Collaros had trouble completing passes, we both gave up a return TD to Janarion Grant, and Oliveira was able to get his legs churning against the Argos too, with 82 yards on 15 carries.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't know if it was my perch in row 29 of the lower tier at Mosaic but it seemed to me the kickers were all kicking low driving punts and FGs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:34 pm
I don't know if it was my perch in row 29 of the lower tier at Mosaic but it seemed to me the kickers were all kicking low driving punts and FGs.
As Hugh Campbell told a dejected Dave Cutler who had just missed a FG to lose to BC:
"Never be so arrogant to think one player wins or loses a football game."
I mentioned that to Dave at an awards ceremony for him at SFU and he said 'yah but it's all b... s...t as; he missed one he shouldn't have. But he understood the sentiment.

The two blocked FGs were both low but Robbie Smith's block looked betterm as you could see him clearly. I thought the Bombers hold looked a bit off as well.

I still think you have can split the awards. Henoc can be outstanding player and the top Canadian Robbie Smith or even a Bomber. I don't think that would be head scratcher at all.