CFL switches to Saturday playoff games

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I watched most of Randy Ambrosie’s annual Fans State of the League address Friday at the Grey Cup Festival.

The biggest news I took from it was Ambrosie’s announcement that the CFL is moving the divisional semifinals and finals to Saturdays beginning in 2023. The Grey Cup will remain on Sunday, at least for now.

Ambrosie also said the 2023 schedule will be released around Dec. 2023.

Here’s a link to the full state of the league address:
https://www.cfl.ca/live/2022/11/18/gc-1 ... he-league/
David
Team Captain

Looks like McLeod Bethel-Thompson carved the Commissioner up pretty well.

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/17/it-s ... arratives/

Do you guys agree with his points? How has the Ambrosie term been for you?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Part of me thinks that holding the East and West Finals on different days would make sense - at least for TV viewing.

The global initiative still eludes this fan. Build the local player pipe line makes more sense.

Genius partnership is something I'm not understanding but admit I didn't look to see what it was.
Can't they find marketing partnerships that are more visible.

Scoring up a bit is fine but I think I heard a TSN panelist suggest kick returns for TDs are down and attributed this to the hash marks moved more inside.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:29 am

I don't take exception to what Bethel-Thompson is saying, but the timing is ??? It is GC week and the guy is playing in the GC game, so imo he needs to be focused on the Argos, not on how the CFL is run.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:29 am

It’s hard to criticize Ambrosie for pushing negative storylines. He’s one of the most optimistic and positive ambassadors the league has had, and he’s shown a willingness to try new ways to improve and promote the product.

I’ve always found Ambrosie to be a visionary leader who answers questions candidly and is always looking to grow the league. On a personal level, I’ve always appreciated that Ambrosie and other league and team officials have been approachable and have responded promptly to my emailed questions or comments, even if we’ve never met personally.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:54 am
I’ve always found Ambrosie to be a visionary leader who answers questions candidly and is always looking to grow the league. On a personal level, I’ve always appreciated that Ambrosie and other league and team officials have been approachable and have responded promptly to my emailed questions or comments, even if we’ve never met personally.
Funny, my take on him is completely different (even though I completely respect your opinion). I find his leadership to be weak. Whenever I hear him speak, he's all talk, no action. Full of cliches and ("a rising tide floats all boats") platitudes. :roll:

The Global initiative is much ado about nothing from where I sit. Money could have been poured into growing the sport in our own country. I agree with MBT, his condemnation of Marino's antics should have been strong, firm, and unequivocal. My opinion of him may change somewhat when an Atlantic franchise is actually playing, for which I am not optimistic.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with the comments by Bethel-Thompson. The media is so focused on the NFL and not enough on our league.
MacNews
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:45 pm

Funny, my take on him is completely different (even though I completely respect your opinion). I find his leadership to be weak. Whenever I hear him speak, he's all talk, no action.

Exactly. He talked about centralizing the CFL to become more like MLS, with a "template" for all teams.

All talk, no action.
almo89
Legend

Ambrosie's time as commissioner has been a rough ride. Ratings and attendance hasn't really gone up during his time. Some people say he's all talk and no action. I do wonder though if he has much power to do bold moves. He technically works for all 9 team owners right? If they are a conservative bunch, I wonder how much the commissioner can really do.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Ambrosie is worthless.

The global initative is in place to find and develop cheaper labor, first and foremost, and in that regard its working. Is it worth so much time and energy? I'd say no, but a commissoner serves at the pleasure of its owners so you tell me who's really driving that.

Ownership issues in Toronto and Montreal and the open wound of Halifax, along with the COVID cancelation should get the guy ushered out the door, IMHO.

The perpetual losing of the PR war in Canada, I've found, isn't something even the best PR firm can control. There are too many Canadians who willingly pull out the kneepads for anything with stars and stripes on it. Most of them reside in media markets with weak local ownership. And with two spring football leagues coming online, that's only going to get worse.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:45 pm
My opinion of him may change somewhat when an Atlantic franchise is actually playing, for which I am not optimistic.

As we all know an Atlantic CFL franchise is 100% dependent on a stadium. No stadium, no team and no team, no stadium. About all Ambrosie can do is lobby, lobby, lobby different levels of government and prospective owners. Even then he can only lead the horses to water. He can't make them drink.

On that note I did catch up to John Ryerson who I call the "Head Schooner" for his organizing and leading of the annual Atlantic Schooners Down East Kitchen Party which has become one of the top 3 events at Grey Cup. When I talked to John last year he said they were within weeks of finalizing agreements on a stadium. Then Covid hit and everything fell apart. I quizzed him again on Thursday. He said somebody was to speak to the crowd on Friday about the state of things. I didn't get back there for whatever was said. In talking to John though on Thu I did ask if the stadium was a dead issue. He said "absolutely not". But John is an eternal optimist when it comes to the Schooners.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While I think Randy Ambrosie is an upgrade over Mark Cohon who treated players like a bad franchise operator treats front counter staff at McDonalds, I question the vision and global initiative.

Commissioner is a tough job - made harder by the pandemic - as the competition for the entertainment dollar and sports viewing in Canada is so heavily focused on the NHL and NFL. Yet MLS in Vancouver seems to have caught hold here as soccer is different such that you can follow your international club teams and then focus on Euro cup, World Cup or whatever as local soccer doesn't go head to head with them like the CFL does with the NFL.

One issue is that today's fans have to feel they have to like NFL or CFL and with the glitz etc the NFL wins these over every time.
Everything with social media is divisive - yes/no, good/bad and this drives those who don't know how well crafted the CFL rules are over the NFL to just love NFL.

One thing I'd like to see in the CFL is the kicking game return to where it's a real player in that role instead of where it's gone now.
BC doesn't put a QB out to hold for a place kick.

I saw the Dalton Schoen story this weekend on TSN and the video and his story of his university days was awesome.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/fo ... cup-glory/

I can't find the TSN video now but he was a walkon who had academic scholarship funding who was given a walk on chance and fought through the murmurs like 'it's good' but 'you know you'll never play'.

The players' stories should be used not in ad formats but as a way to build awareness and aid things like build youth resilience.

Short videos on social media etc to link to youth and younger folks who idle their time on social media.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy