Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

QBs don’t make the minimum. Even 4th guy usually 85k
If you’re playing in usfl or xfl, you got to be a star to play in #cfl. He’s looking for playing time and earn a #cfl contract.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:35 pm
QBs don’t make the minimum. Even 4th guy usually 85k
If you’re playing in usfl or xfl, you got to be a star to play in #cfl. He’s looking for playing time and earn a #cfl contract.
Some backups are getting well above min but many are at min. Those getting above min are all veterans no longer on their first contract. Only 5 are getting $85K or more.

From the salary info put out by 3D for backups here's the salaries for the ones who made the list of 15 highest paid QBs. First number is the hard money that they will earn as long as they make final cuts. The numbers in brackets are the total value they can earn if they max out on ALL of their playtime bonuses. For all the ability to earn any of their playtime bonuses will be tied to the health of their starter. Odds of all starters staying healthy are slim but nonetheless these backups cannot earn any of their playtime bonuses while standing on the sidelines.

OTT - Nick Arbuckle - $130K ($229K)
HAM - Matthew Shiltz - $125K ($205K)
BCL - Dane Evans - $94K ($151K)
MTL - Caleb Evans - $90K ($364.7K)
BCL - Dom Davis - $90K ($143K)
WPG - Dru Brown - $82K ($97K) - Brown's $82K consists of $75K base + $7K housing allowance

If all teams are dressing 3 QBs that means there are 12 backups of 18 backups earning hard money from below $82K on down to the CFL min of $75K. Except for Mason Fine who got some snaps in the final game of 2021 all of the unlisted backups were either 2022 rookies or will be 2023 rookies. It's safe to say all will be making CFL minimum base salary while possibly having a housing allowance and maybe some playtime bonuses that will be meaningless if the starters stay healthy.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

At 29, looks like Jacob Scarfone has quietly announced his retirement. Leaves the Lions a little thin at national receiver if one their options is starting Cottoy and McInnis. More and more likely 3 nationals on o-line with Knevel/Pierson combo at guard. That would leave last year’s receivers intact with the emerging Hollins replacing Burnham.

Big year for Whitehead who at 30 needs to stay healthy since he wasn’t offered an extension.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions didn’t draft a national receiver so it seems clear that they plan to use McInnis to replace Scarfone as their sixth receiver. He brings a lot of upside, including speed, size (6’5, 210) and shiftiness, and can replace any Lions starter in the event of injury, which was Scarfone’s main role for the past two seasons. McInnis had 13 starts last year and played the best game of his career on Aug. 19 against the Lions, with 6 catches for 111 yards and a TD.

The simultaneous retirement of Josh Pearson clears the path for Hollins to step into the starting field WR position where he finished the 2022
season.
OV:54-40
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:09 am
The Lions didn’t draft a national receiver so it seems clear that they plan to use McInnis to replace Scarfone as their sixth receiver. He brings a lot of upside, including speed, size (6’5, 210) and shiftiness, and can replace any Lions starter in the event of injury, which was Scarfone’s main role for the past two seasons. McInnis had 13 starts last year and played the best game of his career on Aug. 19 against the Lions, with 6 catches for 111 yards and a TD.

The simultaneous retirement of Josh Pearson clears the path for Hollins to step into the starting field WR position where he finished the 2022
season.

Mcinnis & Petermann are a quite capable & experienced duo behind Cottoy if it's just one starting National receiver (likely the plan); still, one or two injuries there and it could spell some problems. Might have been wiser to draft a receiver prospect instead of going 3 DBs or 2 more LBs. They also passed on RBs in the draft.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:15 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:09 am

season.

Mcinnis & Petermann are a quite capable & experienced duo behind Cottoy if it's just one starting National receiver (likely the plan); still, one or two injuries there and it could spell some problems. Might have been wiser to draft a receiver prospect instead of going 3 DBs or 2 more LBs. They also passed on RBs in the draft.
Historically you've criticized BC for not drafting DBs in an effort to make safety a NAT starting position. Now you're criticizing them for taking DBs when they only had 1 on the roster and not taking receivers where they already had 3 and until a few days before the draft had 4. CFL wide consensus is BC did extremely well getting Bemiy and Bagayogo at 9 and 14. By the time their next selection came up at 34 5 of the 9 WR who were drafted were already off the board.

Ringland won't be arriving until next year. With him and Bagayogo I think they are well positioned to turn one of the CB positions into a NAT starting position maybe as early as 2024. They have a veteran and fairly costly secondary that isn't getting any younger. Now is the time to build the foundation for an inevitable changing of the guard.

As for other things you may see them as only DBs and LBs. I see and I know the Lions staff sees them as special teams players. One of the biggest weaknesses for the Lions has been their special teams units. BC management made it evident before the draft that they needed to get better talent on STs especially talent with a defensive mindset and skillset. They all too often had to rely on defensive starters to fill ST coverage unit roles then send them out to play D on the next play. A big reason for that was the so-so level if talent amongst their existing NAT depth.

Hinsperger is said to be able to excel on STs. Jean-Loescher has the tools. States-McClean projects to be a safety at the next level and should be able to immediately contribute to STs. Taking a WR in the 5th or 6th round would be contrary to one of their biggest draft priorities. Maybe Scarfone's retirement entered their mind but I don't think it changed their draft objectives. Losing a depth backup receiver so late in the process is not going to make a team suddenly rewrite their draft plan. Take a receiver who would likely be glued to the PR all season? Or take some defensive players who might be able to stick and play on STs right away and maybe become mainstays for the next few years?
Starter

So, they're going to be able to carry all of Lokombo, Hladik, Herdman, Varga (coming off CanWest D player of the year recognition), G-Messam, and Jean-Loescher & Hinsperger on the roster at LB? And all of Betts, Menard, Cherry, Archibald, Pickett and now Bemiy on the D-line too (and hey, maybe Daniel Joseph will show-up) ? That is some pretty impressive depth and talent.

And making observations or comments or opinions is not necessarily some harsh criticism or scathing indictment of the team's coaches & management, or is it ?

I've pointed out of various CFL forums of what I see as a CFL "thinker" tendency to way over-load at one or more of their team's 7 only pencilled-in Canadian spots or position groups - gotta have the good old "depth". MAYBE (arguably) it's the Lions at LB or D-line; I see it with Ottawa at safety, the Riders maybe at D-backfield; Bombers with back-up DBs for sure; the Argos & Als at O-line. Nobody at RB though for sure; and less & less these days at receiver. Just IMO; just an observation.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Wally always loaded up at linebacker depth because LBs usually make versatile special teams players, capable of being good down field blockers or tacklers. Some smaller D line guys might also fit in that category.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:39 pm
Wally always loaded up at linebacker depth because LBs usually make versatile special teams players, capable of being good down field blockers or tacklers. Some smaller D line guys might also fit in that category.
Agreed. The Lions dressed 8 linebackers most of last year. Some, including, Francis, Guzylak-Messam and Rouyer, were strictly special teamers. Others played special teams in addition to taking reps on D. The Lions also often dressed 8 defensive linemen and used them on special teams.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I see from Instagram that Michael O'Connor is training with Rob Williams QB Motion.

While I thought at times before his injury that he should play a bit faster, I sure hope he catches on somewhere.

It seems the love for the dying breed of Canadian QB left with Nathan Rourke.

Granted you have to prove it on the field.

Lions have so far 4 QBs listed for '23:

Vernon Adams

Dominique Davis

Dane Evans

Judd Erickson
Born: September 24, 1998- Highlands Ranch, Colorado
2023: Years as a Lion: 1st Years in CFL: 1st Status: American
Career Games: 0 Playoffs: 0 Grey Cup: 0

Acquired:

After a strong showing at the club’s free agent camp, Judd signed with the Lions as a free agent in May 2023.

Highlights:

College:

2020-22: Judd transferred to the University of San Diego for his final three years of eligibility. After sitting out the 2020 campaign, the strong-armed pivot suited up in 11 games over the next two years while completing 136 of 254 passes for 1,749 yards and 14 touchdowns against ten interceptions. He recorded a season-high 361 passing yards against St. Thomas on October 29.

2017-19: Began his college career at Colorado State where he redshirted in his first season before ultimately making his debut in 2019 in a game against UNLV.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:53 pm
I see from Instagram that Michael O'Connor is training with Rob Williams QB Motion.

While I thought at times before his injury that he should play a bit faster, I sure hope he catches on somewhere.

It seems the love for the dying breed of Canadian QB left with Nathan Rourke.

Granted you have to prove it on the field.

Lions have so far 4 QBs listed for '23:

Vernon Adams

Dominique Davis

Dane Evans

Judd Erickson
Born: September 24, 1998- Highlands Ranch, Colorado
2023: Years as a Lion: 1st Years in CFL: 1st Status: American
Career Games: 0 Playoffs: 0 Grey Cup: 0

Acquired:

After a strong showing at the club’s free agent camp, Judd signed with the Lions as a free agent in May 2023.

Highlights:

College:

2020-22: Judd transferred to the University of San Diego for his final three years of eligibility. After sitting out the 2020 campaign, the strong-armed pivot suited up in 11 games over the next two years while completing 136 of 254 passes for 1,749 yards and 14 touchdowns against ten interceptions. He recorded a season-high 361 passing yards against St. Thomas on October 29.

2017-19: Began his college career at Colorado State where he redshirted in his first season before ultimately making his debut in 2019 in a game against UNLV.

I had a feeling O'Connor was done in the CFL - guess he could get a call if a team runs into injury problems.

The Bombers have signed 3 QBs this off-season from lower levels of US college ball for TC; and the Argos have a similar 3 as the only QBs behind Kelly for TC so far. Top U Sports QBs will continue to be a write-off to CFL thinkers IMO (outside of a Tre Ford running a 4.4 forty).

The next Canadian great hope at QB will likely have to come from Div I US college ball (maybe Nathan's brother ?). U Sports QBs can continue to play in Europe pro leagues, or Senior ball here - is what it is.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Mon May 08, 2023 8:27 pm

I had a feeling O'Connor was done in the CFL - guess he could get a call if a team runs into injury problems.
That's probably where he's at. It's not unusual for even a younger vet to get a call after the season has started to fill a backup role for a team who ran into an injury. Teams tend to prefer somebody who has worked in different CFL offenses versus somebody fresh off the plane never having seen a CFL playbook. The former can hopefully quickly pick up enough of the terminology to at least execute a vanilla offense in a matter of a week or so if he gets pressed into service. The latter could be several weeks away from that.

I think what hurts O'Connor is that he's now gone thru 3 organizations. Toronto let him move on in free agency after his 2nd season which was the cancelled 2020 campaign. He was one and done in both Calgary and BC. That could be an indication that those organizations have determined what his upside is and might rather take a chance on somebody younger who could develop and display more upside. In the meantime without knowing how Bethel-Thompson and Prukop's USFL statuses might play out after the season that leaves O'Connor and Pipkin as the only recent CFL vets on the EI line. It won't surprise me if either one gets a call after the season begins or perhaps like Pipkin last year get a call when a QB goes down in training camp.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:29 am

That's probably where he's at. It's not unusual for even a younger vet to get a call after the season has started to fill a backup role for a team who ran into an injury. Teams tend to prefer somebody who has worked in different CFL offenses versus somebody fresh off the plane never having seen a CFL playbook. The former can hopefully quickly pick up enough of the terminology to at least execute a vanilla offense in a matter of a week or so if he gets pressed into service. The latter could be several weeks away from that.

I think what hurts O'Connor is that he's now gone thru 3 organizations. Toronto let him move on in free agency after his 2nd season which was the cancelled 2020 campaign. He was one and done in both Calgary and BC. That could be an indication that those organizations have determined what his upside is and might rather take a chance on somebody younger who could develop and display more upside. In the meantime without knowing how Bethel-Thompson and Prukop's USFL statuses might play out after the season that leaves O'Connor and Pipkin as the only recent CFL vets on the EI line. It won't surprise me if either one gets a call after the season begins or perhaps like Pipkin last year get a call when a QB goes down in training camp.

And yet Dom Davis is on to his 4th CFL organization now; that, and I've seen him throw picks on 3 consecutive series as a CFL QB. :juggle:

Some CFL teams are in tough to find new QB talent it seems; have to look far & wide. Again - take a look at the resumes of the 3 young American QBs both the Bombers and Argos have signed for TC competition.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Davis provides that short yardage that O'Connor doesn't and comes relatively inexpensively IIRC. I stand to be corrected on that though. Things can change in camp or pre-season but I like 3 QBs who can all contribute in some meaningful way.

I see in 3Down Nation the Ticats let receiver Bralon Addison loose but they corrected his desire to retire which shows in the link. He'd been hurt.

He showed some talent despite injury. He might not at all fit BC's interests but my sense is that he is a good player.

Oft-injured Canadian fullback Jake Burt the first overall pick in the 2021 CFL Draft also got let go by the Ticats in another 3 Down story. That guy came to the CFL with a lot of upside yet injuries plagued him.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/10/hami ... -from-cfl/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Qman
Champion

Tue May 09, 2023 8:35 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:29 am

And yet Dom Davis is on to his 4th CFL organization now; that, and I've seen him throw picks on 3 consecutive series as a CFL QB. :juggle:

Some CFL teams are in tough to find new QB talent it seems; have to look far & wide. Again - take a look at the resumes of the 3 young American QBs both the Bombers and Argos have signed for TC competition.
Doubt dom davis will throw a pass this year unless it’s a trick play.

He’s the best short yardage qb in the league. He should lead our team in TDs