Western Final Nov.13: BC at Winnipeg

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Preparation begins today in Surrey with a walk thru practice. Full sessions scheduled for Thursday and Friday starting at noon.

Should get a better idea on the injury status of some players (Butler) and the potential return of others although Whitehead is going to have to show no signs of his ankle injury to justify sitting Hollins who has looked terrific while Broxton looked much better at tackle last Sunday than Perkins if Figueroa is ready.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As SammyGreene noted, Wednesday's practice was only scheduled as a walkthru to give players an extra day of recover. The Lions' official injury report shows Lucky Whitehead didn't participate. James Butler, Joel Figueroa, Jarell Broxton and TJ Lee were limited. Lee's latest injury is listed as a quadricep. He has battled lingering hamstring and Achilles injuries throughout the season.

Winnipeg receivers Rasheed Bailey (knee) and Dalton Schoen (knee), fullback Mike Miller (hip) and linebacker Shayne Gauthier (foot) were limited, while defensive lineman Thiadric Hansen (achilles) and defensive backs Noah Hallett (knee) and Malcolm Thompson (knee) didn't participate.

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/09/lions-bom ... mited-wed/
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Anyone know details of Broxton's in jury? Did he miss any plays during the WSF game?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Historically the Lions have played two playoff games in Winnipeg (notwithstanding the 2006 Grey Cup) and in both cases it was the WSF - a narrow 15-11 win in 1981 and a massive 30-3 loss in 2002 which was Damon Allen's last game as a Lion, so let the Lions set some history by having a WDF win for the first time in Winnipeg.

And may the Lions win this trophy for the first time since 2011 - at least add another inscription at the base.

Last edited by Robbie on Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie, Robbie, Robbie. :wink:

You more than anybody I would expect to recall that 1977 win was at Empire. Thank goodness Joe Fourqurean didn't trim his fingernails that day. Lol.

One of the quirkier things about the Lions is that they have hosted the West 13 times in their 69 seasons. Sunday marked only the 4th time in 69 campaigns they hosted the WSF.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:45 pm
One of the quirkier things about the Lions is that they have hosted the West 13 times in their 69 seasons. Sunday marked only the 4th time in 69 campaigns they hosted the WSF.
And the Lions are now 4-0 as hosts of the WSF in club history.

The Lions posted road victories in the Western Final three times: in 1988 in Edmonton, 1994 in Calgary and 2000 in Calgary. They went in to win the Grey Cup in 1994 and 2000.
ddanny
Rookie

The last time the lions face Winnipeg in the WF
Was 1985 in front of 59,567 fans was the loudest game ever at bc place yes louder than 2004 2011 1983
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:

You more than anybody I would expect to recall that 1977 win was at Empire. Thank goodness Joe Fourqurean didn't trim his fingernails that day. Lol.
Sorry, my mistake and typo. I stand corrected.
I meant 1981 instead of 1977.
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
ddanny
Rookie

Lions played in Winnipeg WSF 1981 and won
15-11 then lost a very close WF game to the high powered Edmonton eskimos
Robbie
Hall of Famer

ddanny wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:13 am
then lost a very close WF game to the high powered Edmonton eskimos
And an extremely controversial win by Edmonton as in the game Devon Ford returned a kick for a touchdown for the Lions, but the officials said that he stopped out of bounds before crossing the goal line which resulted in only a FG but replays show that he certainly did not step out of bounds.
祝你龍年行大運。
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:46 pm
Anyone know details of Broxton's in jury? Did he miss any plays during the WSF game?
I don't believe he missed any reps during the game. Could very well be just a maintenance day for the big man. I will be more worried if he and J-Fig are listed as "limited" or "DNP" today (Thursday), the first of two meaningful practices ahead of Sunday's tilt.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lucky Whitehead (ankle) and TJ Lee (quad) didn't participate in Thursday's practice. We may see Delvin Breaux back in the lineup on Sunday if Lee can't go. Jalon Edwards-Cooper would likely move to halfback in that case. James Butler (ankle) and Josh Archibald (shoulder) were limited.

The good news is that Joel Figueroa and Jarell Broxton were both full participants so the O-line should be healthy.
ddanny
Rookie

Robbie wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:46 pm
Hambone wrote:

No you are right 1977 I was there pouring rain
ddanny
Rookie

theaardvark wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:47 am
Anyone looking for a pair of tickets for the WDF?

3 rows up, on the 50 yard line...

Oh, yeah, visitors side. Shouting distance to the players.

Can we play it in the dome Lol
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

ddanny wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:29 pm
Robbie wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:46 pm
Hambone wrote:

No you are right 1977 I was there pouring rain
Yup. I was also there. I picked up a dozen tickets and a bunch of us from Woss came over. After the game we proceeded directly over to the Molly Hogan Pub and shut that down. What a day and night.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.