Western Final Nov.13: BC at Winnipeg

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions used too much clock between plays on the final drive, killing the chance for a storybook finish. The Bombers are full value for the win, thanks to their superior running game.

It has been a good season. I’m looking forward to another year of development from Rourke.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

That was the most non chalant last minute drive I've ever seen.

That was terrible.
Last edited by Lion Guy on Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigtooth
Starter

The run, both execution and defence of, was the difference.
Seems like the Lions read all the pre-game discussion about Winnipeg weak on the run. Looks like they weren't prepared for it at all
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very poor time management
almo89
Legend

I remember when McManus was running the hurry up offense against Calgary in the 94 WDF, he was so sufficient. Rourke was trying to hear the calls in his headset over the loud noise. Should have just let him call it himself.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:24 pm
Worst clock management ever!!!!!!!
Zero urgency. They killed so much time just getting to the line of scrimmage.

Terrible.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC didn't quit and other than horrible kick return TD they had a chance here.

If there is any disappointment today for me, it's the inability of BC's OC to either have a variety of run play calls or do what the Argos did with their two RBs today where both Harris and Ouellette were catching passes.

Those looked like tough conditions as even Collaros wasn't on fire all game.

I don't think we should suggest that this game will affect Rourke's future as we dont know if he'd have taken an NFL shot this year.

Given that BC didn't play Nathan Rourke much last game vs the Bombers suggests that they figured it was too risky but had he played he'd have been more ready today.

BUT I'm no fan of the lack of variation in BC s run game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

That was a "learning process" game. For the first time in his very young career, Rourke didn't play beyond his years. Growing pains that will pay dividends. If Rourke is back in 2023 (I think the odds are better now) the Lions should be the favourites to win the Grey Cup next season. Don't be surprised if they are playing for back-to-back championships at home in 2024.
Alputt
Champion

Wow Nathan... I'm glad you take it to heart...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rourke may have played the worst game of his career but he still had 299 yards passing. Collaros had 178 yards. The Bombers won it with their superior running game and Grant’s punt return TD.
Alputt
Champion

Arrrrrggggooooooos!
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:49 pm
Anyone still think Rourke will head to the NFL ?
If you can’t step up for a divisional final how would he be able to handle the pressures down there. No way he goes down. He answered himself tonight.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

On to next season. Talk on the radio that Burnham won't be back. If so that's a shame. Lock up Rourke and get some run stoppers.
maxlion
Legend

Lions were completely dominated from start to finish, yet somehow had a chance at the end. Not sure what happened on that final drive but it was painfully obvious the Lions weren't prepared for the situation. Still, all in all, this was the most fun year for Lions' fans in a long time.

I think that there is a high probability that one or more NFL teams will offer Rourke a contract, and he would be crazy not to take it. I'd be shocked if he is back in the CFL next year, but we can dream.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Lion Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:23 pm
What the actual F was Rourke doing?

He wasted over a minute.
Not his fault at all. The players should've been given ten plays before taking the field. The crowd noise was just too much.