Lion all-stars

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Six Lions have been named to the CFL West all-star team. Congratulations to Dominique Rhymes, Lucky Whitehead, Peter Godber, Sukh Chungh, Garry Peters and Loucheiz Purifoy, all worthy selections.

I’m particularly pleased for Godber. Going into the season, I didn’t expect him to retain his position as starting centre. He split first-team reps with Phil Norman throughout training camp. But Godber, Chungh and Norman at left guard have been solid throughout the season in the run game and in limiting interior pressure on the QB.

I thought Sean Whyte deserved all-star recognition for leading the league in field goal accuracy but Rene Paredes seems to have a lock on the kicking position.

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/02/brightest ... all-stars/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Media has a hissy fit the Stampders o-line was snubbed of all-stars selections. Hours later it’s announced the votes were calculated wrong and new lists announced.

Lions go from 6 to 4.

Dropped: Chungh, Godber, Whitehead.
Added: Sayles.

So 4 all-stars and 3 are from the defensive side.
Stamps make big jump up to 11.

What a joke. I enjoy JC Abbott’s game recaps but tweeting there should be a criminal investigation on Godber’s selection is a terrible look. The media sure love the Stamps and in the end get their way.
Who cares they went 1-5 against Winnipeg & BC or the Lions would have crushed every offensive statistical category if their #1 QB didn’t miss 2 months.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ha. I’d love to see the vote totals. Godber and Chungh still had good seasons. Let the Calgary all-star O-linemen enjoy their selections for now. It’s probably better than having them feel snubbed and playing with an axe to grind on Sunday. Here’s the updated all-star list:

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/02/updated-l ... all-stars/
maxlion
Legend

The low number of all stars from BC may be due to inopportune injuries and a "do it by committee" approach. Gwacham, Roarke, and Whitehead are all likely all stars if not for injury. We have 3 standout Canadian linebackers, but they share two positions. Similarly on d-line, we have a bunch of very good players who have been getting it done by committee. I think its a testament to having a good team approach.

I was a bit surprised by Sayles' selection as I'm not sure that he is one of our top players, but good for him anyways.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:05 pm
Media has a hissy fit the Stampders o-line was snubbed of all-stars selections. Hours later it’s announced the votes were calculated wrong and new lists announced.

Lions go from 6 to 4.

Dropped: Chungh, Godber, Whitehead.
Added: Sayles.

So 4 all-stars and 3 are from the defensive side.
Stamps make big jump up to 11.

What a joke. I enjoy JC Abbott’s game recaps but tweeting there should be a criminal investigation on Godber’s selection is a terrible look. The media sure love the Stamps and in the end get their way.
Who cares they went 1-5 against Winnipeg & BC or the Lions would have crushed every offensive statistical category if their #1 QB didn’t miss 2 months.
^^^This smells of backroom deals and dare I say it, CFL Bush League.
OTOH, I'm not sure Chungh or Godber are legit all stars, but Whitehead is. And I would rate TJ Lee ahead of Sayles.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If it was unjust that Calgary had no O-line all-stars on the initial list, it’s even more unjust that the Lions had the league’s top offence, as measured by scoring and net yardage, yet had only one West Division offensive all star on the revised list.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

After reading Ballantine's whining 3D article I took a look at the stats. I have to admit the stats certainly made a case for the Stamps OL. In terms of sacks allowed after 17 games Calgary was best in the CFL and it wasn't even close. Calgary QBs were sacked 15 times, average of less than once per game, and nearly half of the 28 #2 ranked Winnipeg gave up. BC was middle of the pack with 36 allowed. Calgary led the CFL in yards rushing and yards per carry and that was before the final game vs Saskatchewan. Stats aren't everything but it was somewhat incredulous that a unit that effective didn't garner a single all-star nomination prior to the recount. I thought maybe they dealt with a lot of injuries causing votes. Sceviour and Zac Williams started every game. Good-Jones missed 3 in the middle of the season. Dennis missed the final 4. McEwen spent the middle 6 on the 6G making him the one to question but he's also damned good.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:08 pm
If it was unjust that Calgary had no O-line all-stars on the initial list, it’s even more unjust that the Lions had the league’s top offence, as measured by scoring and net yardage, yet had only one West Division offensive all star on the revised list.
Yep and there won’t be a peep about the revised discrepancy (11-4) between 2 teams with identical 12-6 records. I know it’s just all-stars but there is a love in for the Stamps from their “superior” coaching to “amazing” talent.
Well they had 9 all-stars last year to just 2 for the Riders and lost the semi-final on the road. Let’s hope history repeats itself for the 3rd place “all-star loaded” Stamps.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The four Lions named to the controversial revised list of West Division all-stars have all been named to the CFL all-star team. Congratulations to Dominique Rhymes, Garry Peters, Loucheiz Purifoy and Marcus Sayles.

As with the West team, CFL voters remained loyal to the Calgary Stampeders, ignoring that team’s 1-6 record against Winnipeg and B.C. Calgary led all teams with 8 CFL all-star selections, followed by Winnipeg with 6 and B.C. with 4.

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/15/stars-ali ... announced/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:43 am
The four Lions named to the controversial revised list of West Division all-stars have all been named to the CFL all-star team. Congratulations to Dominique Rhymes, Garry Peters, Loucheiz Purifoy and Marcus Sayles.

As with the West team, CFL voters remained loyal to the Calgary Stampeders, ignoring that team’s 1-6 record against Winnipeg and B.C. Calgary led all teams with 8 CFL all-star selections, followed by Winnipeg with 6 and B.C. with 4.

Eight league all-stars for the most overrated third place team ever.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:26 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:43 am

Eight league all-stars for the most overrated third place team ever.
A lot of those Stamps all stars are top notch players at their position but they didn't produce as a team when they needed to. Wally had a lot of stacked teams over the years that also didn't produce at crucial times.

I blame Stamps coaching (Bombers learned from the WSF and went with a run game instead of trying to pass against the Lions DBs) and I credit a good part of Lion's success on coaching, with former DB and possible future HoFer, Ryan Philips as DC. So it is good to see 3 Lion DBs make the all star team.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL Players Association named its all-star team Friday, including 3 Lions: WR Dominique Rhymes, FB David Mackie and DB TJ Lee. I usually give more weight to the CFLPA all-star selections because they’re chosen by opposing players. They’re also selected based on actual positions and not by broad positional groups. Winnipeg led with 7 players selected to the CFLPA team. Calgary had 6.

The official CFL all-star team, announced previously based on voting by football reporters, fans and coaches, included 4 Lions. Rhymes was the only Lion selected to both teams.

https://cflpa.com/2022-cflpa-all-stars/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What did David Mackie do that warrant him to be named a CLFA all star ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:22 pm
What did David Mackie do that warrant him to be named a CLFA all star ?
The fullback is mainly a blocker to support the running game. Only the CFPA all-star team includes a fullback position. Other all-star teams include an extra receiver instead of a fullback.

Pro Stats Canada released its all-star team Friday based exclusively on analytics for skill positions. Its selections more closely matched the official CFL all-star team. Three Lions made Pro Stats team: Dominique Rhymes, Loucheiz Purifoy and Marcus Sayles. All three had been named to the official CFL all-star team along with Garry Peters.

There’s always some healthy debate about all-star selections but it’s clear that Dominique Rhymes had an all-star season no matter how you slice it.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Nathan Rourke wasn’t named to an all-star team but Pro Stats Canada named him Saturday as its World-Class Player of the Year.