WSF Calgary vs BC Nov 6

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Whether one takes or leaves what Dickenson said about audibles several times overriding their planned rushing plays due to our defensive scheme this game (I'll take it---with my hat off to RP), the season stats show, as B.C.FAN pointed out, that this game was not much different in that regard from others against us when you look at the rushing stats: yesterday saw 17 carries for 83 yards, and the season games cited by B.C.FAN apparently were 11 for 83 and 14 for 87. I was a bit surprised, but there it is.
Anyhow, just a thought... but, I'm wondering how I'd feel, if Roarke departs, about having Bo Levi Mitchell in the Lions den. I'd have more confidence in him than in Vernon Adams, and Bo's only 2 or 3 years older. Crazy thought perhaps. Dunno. Meanwhile I'm still half-thinking that Roarke might stay on for another year or so. That would be wonderful.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Predicted high for Winnipeg this Sunday is minus 7. Feels like minus 12. Brrrrrrrr
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The game in its entirety.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Thanks Robbie. Much appreciated.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I find it a bit hard to buy the audibles excuse for the Stamps not running more. I know that's what Calgary does with their QBs but something doesn't add up here if this is what Dave D has said.

I saw Lapo's overview and looked for what he diagrammed as the Stamps run plays and a whole lot of that wasn't run vs the Lions.

I'm leaning to the belief that Dave D needs an OC calling the plays with Dave performing the duties of HC.

Not kicking a FG and losing the ball on turnover on downs were poor decisions. I wonder if John Hufnagel will advise Dave to give up calling the plays.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Both Lions and Stamps took high risk high reward gambles on 3rd down. Lions executed and coaches were lauded. Stamps failed to execute and coaches were criticized.

Stamps player missed a block. Sometimes there's a fine line between success and failure. Hard to definitively pin the blame on coaches or players.

I thought both teams were well prepared and played well, but Lions talent was a bit better, especially at qb. Penalties were also a big factor. BC was more disciplined. The crowd helped.

Dickenson is still a top tier coach in my view. I have little doubt he will be coaching and calling plays for as long as he wants to.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:27 pm
Both Lions and Stamps took high risk high reward gambles on 3rd down. Lions executed and coaches were lauded. Stamps failed to execute and coaches were criticized.

Stamps player missed a block. Sometimes there's a fine line between success and failure. Hard to definitively pin the blame on coaches or players.

I thought both teams were well prepared and played well, but Lions talent was a bit better, especially at qb. Penalties were also a big factor. BC was more disciplined. The crowd helped.

Dickenson is still a top tier coach in my view. I have little doubt he will be coaching and calling plays for as long as he wants to.
Your points are well taken. Do you take the FG or go for it? I love gambling coaching.

The Lions 3rd down gamble was brilliantly timed and executed by Pipkin with the guy tackling him practically as NO body in that stadium expected the call and the Lions were leading and not desperate.

These are judgment calls that are sometimes not always fairly criticized as people like me are using hindsight which is always 20/20 lol.

Ryan Ballentine hammers Dave D for his decisions but he's just like us - looking at it in hindsight

"The Stamps have Tommy Stevens, one of the best third-and-short practitioners in the league, and instead hoped to catch the Lions sleeping (aweem away, aweem away)."

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/07/stam ... -thoughts/

Don't get me wrong though - I'm not at all knocking Dave Dickenson as a coach. He's done a superb job and he's a great coach.

I do think that he should give some thought to letting an OC call the plays leaving him free to make the big, instantaneous decisions that a HC has to make.

Similarly Ryan Dinwiddie. At times he looks flustered.

Definitely, Paul Lapolice who's a brilliant x's and o's tactician didn't grasp the lessons from his time as HC with the Bombers to not repeat his challenges. Granted he lost his QB and that killed him.

Wally Buono didn't get to be the winningest coach of all time for his x's and o's brilliance. He's like a CEO. Understands the technical etc. but he stayed and won as he understood the role of the HC.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Nice 3 Down Nation comments on Nathan Rourke none of which are likely to go to this guy's head as he's not focused on that stuff.

The forecast for the West Final on Sunday calls for a high of minus-seven degrees and a mix of sun and cloud with a slight wind.
https://3downnation.com/2022/11/08/blue ... ur-league/

Buck Pierce on Nathan Rourke:
“You look at the numbers and the accuracy and the wins. I think that’s important when you’re looking at quarterbacks: are you winning football games? Are you getting your team in the end zone? He’s been doing that. I think what’s really impressive is just his maturity and his poise and how he carries himself on and off the field. That’s very good to see for a young guy that’s having a lot of success — extremely bright future for him and just like anybody else, I’m thrilled that he’s part of our league. It’s been exciting to watch,” said Pierce.
Richie Hall DC on Rourke asked to make comparisons of Nathan Rourke with the greats:
“...He’s off to a great start, he’s had a great year. He’s phenomenal, but this is his second year,” said Hall.

“When you talk about the other guys that you had mentioned, you talked about them over a span of time... He’s had a lot of success, but I think it’s unfair to the guys that you had mentioned and it’s also unfair to him to start comparing him in such a short period of time.”
Richie Hall is right - that's it's hard to make comparisons to the Moons, etc BUT the consensus on Rourke is that this is a special generational. It'd be hard to suggest that if returns to BC next year that he'd not excel.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:34 pm

Richie Hall is right - that's it's hard to make comparisons to the Moons, etc BUT the consensus on Rourke is that this is a special generational. It'd be hard to suggest that if returns to BC next year that he'd not excel.
The other generational player that has emerged is Bombers rookie WR Dalton Schoen, except I don't think that the NFL ever thinks that players going against a CFL Defense are generational. With only half a season as a starter and coming off a serious injury that is not yet fully healed, there may be some NFL interest in Rourke (or Schoen) but not enough interest to garner much of an offer. Rourke (and Schoen but especially Rourke), is better off starting in the CFL in 2023 vs holding an NFL clipboard.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:07 pm
Whether one takes or leaves what Dickenson said about audibles several times overriding their planned rushing plays due to our defensive scheme this game (I'll take it---with my hat off to RP), the season stats show, as B.C.FAN pointed out, that this game was not much different in that regard from others against us when you look at the rushing stats: yesterday saw 17 carries for 83 yards, and the season games cited by B.C.FAN apparently were 11 for 83 and 14 for 87. I was a bit surprised, but there it is.
Anyhow, just a thought... but, I'm wondering how I'd feel, if Roarke departs, about having Bo Levi Mitchell in the Lions den. I'd have more confidence in him than in Vernon Adams, and Bo's only 2 or 3 years older. Crazy thought perhaps. Dunno. Meanwhile I'm still half-thinking that Roarke might stay on for another year or so. That would be wonderful.
Looking at the raw numbers on Sunday Calgary ran their highest percentage of run plays versus pass of all their 4 meetings vs BC in 2022. That was including throwing the ball 17 of their last 18 plays after Bo came in facing a 2 TD deficit with 11 minutes to go. Prior to BLM entering the game they'd run the ball 42% of the plays to generate 6 points in nearly 50 minutes of football.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Looking at the raw numbers on Sunday Calgary ran their highest percentage of run plays versus pass of all their 4 meetings vs BC in 2022. That was including throwing the ball 17 of their last 18 plays after Bo came in facing a 2 TD deficit with 11 minutes to go. Prior to BLM entering the game they'd run the ball 42% of the plays to generate 6 points in nearly 50 minutes of football.
Here’s one more stat to hammer home the point:

Calgary was held to less than 90 yards rushing in five games this year, including playoffs. Three of those games were against B.C. The Lions won all three.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:

I hadn't looked at the % numbers but it sure seemed it should have been higher given they've got two good RBs and sat out the third Peyton Logan.

Ballentine says this on the run game:
Ka’Deem Carey and Dedrick Mills averaged 5.9 yards per carry, a solid number even if it was down from their season averages of 6.6 and 6.9 yards, respectively. The issue is that the Stampeders abandoned the run while the game was still very much within striking distance, handing it off to Carey and Mills a combined 10 times.
In another not-surprising announcement, Bo Levi Mitchell and Dave Dickenson agree that in the future if it's next year or later that they both want to coach together.

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/08/dave ... he-future/

Bo wants to play next year but it'd not be a surprise to BLM one day as Calgary's HC.

If Nathan Rourke were to exit to the NFL next year I'd have no trouble with the Lions bringing Bo Levi Mitchell BUT I suspect the pressure in Saskatchewan will be to nail down BLM as soon as he's able to sign elsewhere. BLM says his arm is back now.

One thing about Dave Dickenson and players. He's genuinely not one to tell a player to go elsewhere like during Bo's momentary flirting with the NFL idea.
“Bo and I have a solid relationship, we’re always gonna be connected. I’m gonna let Bo do what Bo needs to do but he knows I’ve got his back and that at some point, I’d love to work with him either next year or down the road. He’s a guy that’s a Calgary Stampeder for life for me, so it is hard because there’s so much history and all that,” said Dickenson.

“I’ve read his comments, Bo is a competitor but life is life and sometimes there’s a turn you know you need to take. It’s a tough one and certainly something that we’ve done. I feel confident in our decision-making and the people above me and also as a staff that we were honest and upfront with everybody and we’re just trying to win football games.”
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bo Levi Mitchell's media conference where he responded to Dave Dickenson saying he'd like to work with Dave in future as a coach.

He mentioned that the QB room with Jake Maier, Tommy Stevens and he was the best QB room he'd been in.

He thought the room of him, Dakota Prokop and Michael O'Connor before that was the best he'd been in!

In the last part of this year since O'Connor was injured, he's not mentioned these days.

https://www.stampeders.com/2022/11/07/m ... -07-11-22/
OV:54-40
Starter

In the 1st half, the Stamps offence went with 15 passing attempts to 8 real run play calls (taking out QB sneak or forced scramble plays).

Overall, in the game - 34 pass attempts to 13 real run play calls.

The league leading rusher - Carey (who had a 6.6 per carry average on the season, and 38 runs of 10 or more yards !), ended up with a whopping 8 carries in the game.

Stats can be spun many ways, but seems obvious the Stamps offensive brain-trust thought passing much more was the better route to offensive production (yards + scoring);, and not like they were down 20 some points in the first half, so "forced" to go pass the rest of the way; didn't work out too well. But maybe they were scared of the Lions' mighty run defence.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:22 pm

The league leading rusher - Carey (who had a 6.6 per carry average on the season, and 38 runs of 10 or more yards !), ended up with a whopping 8 carries in the game.
Was Chapdelaine calling the plays ? :rotf: