WSF Calgary vs BC Nov 6

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

One of the most satisfying wins in many years of bleeding orange.
I was pretty steamed a few days ago when the “revised” division all-stars stripped the Lions down to just 4 and pushed the Stamps up to 11.
And all we ever hear is how wonderful their coaching staff is. Yet there are the Lions overcoming some key injuries for their third win over Calgary in four tries in a complete performance.

Maksymic & Phillips called great games today. Kick coverage was solid.

How good was Hollins in place of Whitehead or Broxton making his first start of the season at tackle lined up mostly against the favourite to win the defensive MOP award? This team has terrific depth.

It was Hatcher’s turn today in what might just be the best collective group of receivers in club history with one very tough and ultra talented kid giving them the opportunity to make plays.

At least another week to enjoy this fantastic season and turnaround.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions showed what many around the CFL have been saying for most of the season: Lions have the best receiving corps in the CFL, with Hollins providing depth and Hatcher, tremendous versatility. But really it was the D that won the game with Lions all star D backfield showing why the Stamps made a huge tactical error abandoning the run and trying to rely too much on the passing game which just played in to the Lions strength

The biggest shocker was the Stamps not being able to score a TD until the game was pretty much out of reach.
Walt67
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:56 am
Lions showed what many around the CFL have been saying for most of the season: Lions have the best receiving corps in the CFL, with Hollins providing depth and Hatcher, tremendous versatility. But really it was the D that won the game with Lions all star D backfield showing why the Stamps made a huge tactical error abandoning the run and trying to rely too much on the passing game which just played in to the Lions strength

The biggest shocker was the Stamps not being able to score a TD until the game was pretty much out of reach.
I was at the game and was surprised that we didn't see much more running from Calgary. The power of the Stampeder rushing game had been very evident and much discussed late in the season yet they had Maier passing much of the game - and he did not look comfortable, missing open receivers such as Begelton even though he was facing pressure but wasn't being sacked the way Rourke was getting hit. Also, the Lions D had a "bend but not break" quality, yielding some marches at times but also making big plays - such as the late sack and rushed pass against Mitchell in the red zone. Finally, we know that some of Dickenson's decisions will be questioned in Calgary, such as the deep sideline running play on a third down gamble - and sticking with Maier perhaps too long.
Walt67
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:08 pm
One of the most satisfying wins in many years of bleeding orange.
I was pretty steamed a few days ago when the “revised” division all-stars stripped the Lions down to just 4 and pushed the Stamps up to 11.
And all we ever hear is how wonderful their coaching staff is. Yet there are the Lions overcoming some key injuries for their third win over Calgary in four tries in a complete performance.

Maksymic & Phillips called great games today. Kick coverage was solid.

How good was Hollins in place of Whitehead or Broxton making his first start of the season at tackle lined up mostly against the favourite to win the defensive MOP award? This team has terrific depth.

It was Hatcher’s turn today in what might just be the best collective group of receivers in club history with one very tough and ultra talented kid giving them the opportunity to make plays.

At least another week to enjoy this fantastic season and turnaround.
All good points. In the first half of the season my two main concerns were the poor kick coverage, as you mentioned, and over-reliance on the passing game. Both of these issues had been weaknesses for the last 2 seasons or so. Of course the emergence of Butler with a better run-blocking O line was also a key as he gained just short of 100 yards. It did look like Butler was a bit injured, especially late in the game, so hope he is good to go in the frozen tundra next weekend.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Walt67 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:02 am
DanoT wrote:

I was at the game and was surprised that we didn't see much more running from Calgary. The power of the Stampeder rushing game had been very evident and much discussed late in the season yet they had Maier passing much of the game - and he did not look comfortable, missing open receivers such as Begelton even though he was facing pressure but wasn't being sacked the way Rourke was getting hit. Also, the Lions D had a "bend but not break" quality, yielding some marches at times but also making big plays - such as the late sack and rushed pass against Mitchell in the red zone. Finally, we know that some of Dickenson's decisions will be questioned in Calgary, such as the deep sideline running play on a third down gamble - and sticking with Maier perhaps too long.
Despite the hype, this was a pretty typical rushing effort from Calgary. In the first game against the Lions in Calgary, the Stamps rushed 11 times for 83 yards. In the second game in Calgary, the Stamps rushed 14 times for 87 yards. Calgary's regular-season rushing stats were padded by big games against Saskatchewan, Edmonton and Hamilton.
crburrows
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:56 pm
No doubt the noise was piped in.😂😂
I thought that was for Roughriders games only! :tease:
yukonlion
All Star

Been to 27 grey cups and countless playoff games and this game was right up there in pregame atmosphere and the game experience. Kudos to the bc fans who rival Sask and Hamilton for dressing up in game swag Really a great experience. Worth every penny to fly down from the yukon. Great to have another week of lions football. On to Winnipeg.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:50 pm
Shout out to Keon Hatcher, who led all receivers with 8 catches for 162 yards and a TD. He has played three positions this year, starting as field WR, replacing Bryan Burnham as boundary slot during his two injury stints and replacing Lucky Whitehead as boundary WR today. He has excelled at all of them, become a favourite target of all B.C. QBs and had a 1.000 yard season as a second-year player. He has done it all.
I agree whole heartedly with this. He started the season as a relative unknown and I wasn't expecting a ton. He showed me in the first game against the Elks that he had the possibility of more and man has he showed it this season. It is hard to get noticed on a team with the likes of Burnham, Rhymes and Whitehead but he has showed himself every bit as valuable and versatile. This has to be the most dangerous group of receivers in the league currently and I might go so far as to say one of the top most dangerous receiving corps of all time. I don't make that assertion lightly as I can remember many teams that over the years that had very dangerous receivers but I'm not sure I have seen the plug and play quality that seems to exist on this team. It is outstanding.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
almo89
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Rider fans will always say that. I bet you if they can ever get 50k in there for a playoff game again, they'll be using that excuse again.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:07 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:50 pm
Shout out to Keon Hatcher, who led all receivers with 8 catches for 162 yards and a TD. He has played three positions this year, starting as field WR, replacing Bryan Burnham as boundary slot during his two injury stints and replacing Lucky Whitehead as boundary WR today. He has excelled at all of them, become a favourite target of all B.C. QBs and had a 1.000 yard season as a second-year player. He has done it all.
I agree whole heartedly with this. He started the season as a relative unknown and I wasn't expecting a ton. He showed me in the first game against the Elks that he had the possibility of more and man has he showed it this season. It is hard to get noticed on a team with the likes of Burnham, Rhymes and Whitehead but he has showed himself every bit as valuable and versatile. This has to be the most dangerous group of receivers in the league currently and I might go so far as to say one of the top most dangerous receiving corps of all time. I don't make that assertion lightly as I can remember many teams that over the years that had very dangerous receivers but I'm not sure I have seen the plug and play quality that seems to exist on this team. It is outstanding.
^^^ This, and rookie Hollins is looking like Hatcher Lite as he is an inch shorter and listed as 37lbs lighter but he is making an impact.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:01 pm
Tough decision in the off-season. Hollins is younger, cheaper, and potentially just as dangerous. If Whitehead's ankle injury is indeed chronic, then that's a lot of money to tie up.

DH :cool:
Especially when we have to pay$500K for Rourke. Don’t be surprised to see one key receiver gone next year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:28 am
Walt67 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:02 am
DanoT wrote:

Despite the hype, this was a pretty typical rushing effort from Calgary. In the first game against the Lions in Calgary, the Stamps rushed 11 times for 83 yards. In the second game in Calgary, the Stamps rushed 14 times for 87 yards. Calgary's regular-season rushing stats were padded by big games against Saskatchewan, Edmonton and Hamilton.
According to Dickenson they called a lot more running plays during the game but audibled out many due to the Lions defensive set. If so then kudos to RP for giving Calgary looks that they either didn't expect or didn't think they could succeed against.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

almo89 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:39 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Rider fans will always say that. I bet you if they can ever get 50k in there for a playoff game again, they'll be using that excuse again.
I've long scoffed at that one. It was their pxp guy who started that one 25 years ago. Anecdotally a bunch of noise was getting pumped in during a Rider practice to simulate the crowd. Whether it happened during the game who knows. What was known however is that BC Place's acoustics and sound system at the time were notoriously awful. Trying to pump in noise would be a waste of perfectly good electricity.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV:54-40
Starter

Interesting report that the Lions" D sets talked the Stumps out of running lots; not sure I buy that though - more like typical CFL offensive thinking lack of respect for a consistent, diverse, applied ground game; and the Stamps' RBs, especially Carey had been outstanding & productive much of the year - mistake by Dickenson and his OC IMO.

Same deal in the Ticats loss to the Als IMO; much talk about the resurgent Ticats ground game with that big back Hills looking strong late in the season, plus they had Thomas-Erlington (who led all CFL tailbacks in yds/carry average this season) available too. But when the chips were down in a big game, those 2 backs combined for 7 carries to the 29 pass attempts from the dynamic (LOL) duo of Evans & *poop*; there ya go Steinauer & OC. ;o)

The Lions had some good production from a good back in Butler for some balance, but why not pass lots when you have a QB with a gun for an arm, plus a very talented receiving corps?

Be interesting to see who goes to ground game more in the upcoming West Final. I'll predict whoever has the closer to balance offence wins this game. And same deal for the East Final.

I'm afraid if you want to see teams win with a powerful ground game offence in Canadian football now, you have to look to U Sports ball; where Western dominated with a run game (big powerful O-Line and 2 explosive RBs) to win the Vanier last year and are at it again this year (up against Queens in the Yates, who have a similar run first offence); UBC has shown some good ground game this year and that might be their best hope to upset the Huskies. The Q title game features 2 very impressive young passing QBs and much more of an aerial/ CFL offences displayed - so nice to see the variety at that level.

Great Canadian ball play-offs upcoming !