Lions at Bombers Oct. 28, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Pipkin manages to successfully kneel down.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

12-6 regular season. Helluva a leap from last couple of years. Electrifying offence with #12 at QB. Can it be enough to overcome a struggling defence and mediocre at best kick coverage? At least we get to find out at BC Place.
OV:54-40
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:01 pm
Are we ever going to find out why O’Connor has taken regular reps in practice for weeks. Dressed and took part in pre-game warmups yet never saw the field again. Now dropped from roster with Rourke returning
Was only there for the passport to maintain 7 only if Rourke had to come out. Obvious they had no real faith in him for playing time when that role was not needed anymore.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Bombers and Lions went into this game with different objectives, and it showed in the first quarter.

The Bombers were determined to make a statement about being the best team in the league and the best Bomber team in history. With byes last week and next week, they opened up the offence, inserting new plays with lots of misdirection to keep the B.C. defence off balance and give receivers a chance to get open, where Zach Collaros had no trouble finding them. On defence, the Bombers blitzed heavily and hit Nathan Rourke hard to try to disrupt his comeback attempt.

The Lions, for their part, treated this game like the final preseason tuneup. They focused mainly on getting Rourke settled in the pocket and keeping him upright with the starting offence. They ran their basic offence, with no new wrinkles, and let Rourke drill the ball into some tight windows. He looked sharp for the most part but his timing on deep balls was just a bit off, which allowed the Bombers to make some key knockdowns. On defence, the Lions again ran their base zone defence and didn't try anything new.

The final three quarters featured a lot more of the same, this time with both teams emptying their benches and letting backups go through the motions. Overall, the Bombers proved their point, and the Lions got what they wanted as they focus on the WSF next week.

Two main concerns from this game:
1. The health of the Lions, particularly Rourke and receivers Lucky Whitehead and Jevon Cottoy, who both left the game with apparent leg injuries.
2. The B.C. front 7's inability to stop the run. The Bombers rushed for 104 yards in the first half with their starters in the lineup and 164 yards overall. That's playoff style football. The Lions will have to do a better job against the run next week if they want another crack at the Bombers.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:25 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Are we ever going to find out why O’Connor has taken regular reps in practice for weeks. Dressed and took part in pre-game warmups yet never saw the field again. Now dropped from roster with Rourke returning
Was only there for the passport to maintain 7 only if Rourke had to come out. Obvious they had no real faith in him for playing time when that role was not needed anymore.
The Lions have Rourke and Adams as 1-2 for the playoffs. Pipkin earned the job as short-yardage QB down the stretch, so he stays at No. 3. O'Connor is a pocket passer so he's not an option for the short-yardage role. O'Connor future hinges on what happens to Rourke and Adams in the offseason. If Rourke stays and Adams leaves, the No. 2 job is there for O'Connor to pick up where he left off before Rourke was hurt.
OV:54-40
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:40 pm
OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:25 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
The Lions have Rourke and Adams as 1-2 for the playoffs. Pipkin earned the job as short-yardage QB down the stretch, so he stays at No. 3. O'Connor is a pocket passer so he's not an option for the short-yardage role. O'Connor future hinges on what happens to Rourke and Adams in the offseason. If Rourke stays and Adams leaves, the No. 2 job is there for O'Connor to pick up where he left off before Rourke was hurt.

We shall see; IF Rourke returns, he might get the same chance again as a back-up to maintain Campbell's 7 only thinking; no Rourke = no O'Connor IMO.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Regardless, this year bodes well for next year.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:46 pm
Listening to the radio broadcast Carravatta is such a homer. He whines over every Lion penalty
better than whining over the oppositions penalties
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Don’t see how Woody Baron is an upgrade on Tim Bonner, never mind his huge contract. Definitely hasn’t shored up the run defence.
David
Team Captain

My concern is that we're not stout enough to stop the run. This is where Stove would have really helped. Carey and Logan are going to be tough to stop next week, especially with Carey being rested tomorrow.

If our objective tonight was to lull the Bombers (and Stamps?) into a false sense of security, mission accomplished. I thought we were rather languid and apathetic tonight, especially on defence. The back-breaker was when we had the Bombers pinned back at the 7 with Prukop(!) behind centre and let them march down and score a major. Little to no pressure on Collaros against Bombers' starting Oline. That's a concern.

Bright spots tonight: I thought VA looked sharp even though he didn't throw a TD pass. Threw some nice balls into tight coverages and finally(!) took off on a nifty run to end the 3rd quarter. Obviously, getting Nathan through just over a quarter unscathed was good too. He threw some tight spirals with velocity (deep ball to Lucky notwithstanding) and took some hits.

Douchebag Of The Game award: Jake Thomas :thdn:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:49 pm
My concern is that we're not stout enough to stop the run. This is where Stove would have really helped. Carey and Logan are going to be tough to stop next week, especially with Carey being rested tomorrow.

If our objective tonight was to lull the Bombers (and Stamps?) into a false sense of security, mission accomplished. I thought we were rather languid and apathetic tonight, especially on defence. The back-breaker was when we had the Bombers pinned back at the 7 with Prukop(!) behind centre and let them march down and score a major. Little to no pressure on Collaros against Bombers' starting Oline. That's a concern.

Bright spots tonight: I thought VA looked sharp even though he didn't throw a TD pass. Threw some nice balls into tight coverages and finally(!) took off on a nifty run to end the 3rd quarter. Obviously, getting Nathan through just over a quarter unscathed was good too. He threw some tight spirals with velocity (deep ball to Lucky notwithstanding) and took some hits.

Was it Jake Thomas who gave Rourke the "No, I'm not going to give you a helping hand up off the ground" play? I thought it was amusing and at no time would I expect a D lineman, who no doubt hates QBs, help an opposing QB get up off the ground.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:46 am
David wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:49 pm

Was it Jake Thomas who gave Rourke the "No, I'm not going to give you a helping hand up off the ground" play? I thought it was amusing and at no time would I expect a D lineman, who no doubt hates QBs, help an opposing QB get up off the ground.
It was. Didn’t bother me. Well, not as much as our leaky defence
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Question:

Were people booing the line "the True North strong and free" both last night in Winnipeg and in parts of BC Place during the Bombers game here?
If that was some booing is that a Bomber thing or is that now "a thing" in Canada?

I ask as I thought I heard it last night on the radio broadcast as I rushed home.
Last game at BC PLace with the Bombers in town we were sitting in the northwest corner and a section or two over towards the Bombers bench there were boos at that line.

Did Rourke get enough time to get the rust off?

We now won't know until it comes to the semi-final.
I thought he needed more time last night.

Is Rick Campbell's philosophy clear on injured players?

JC Abbott suggests that Whitehead - hurt again - wasn't sure before the game if he was ready.
Given that the Lions seemed content to lose much like the Bombers were in BC Place it didn't make sense IF the player himself wasn't sure.
It wasn't critical to have him that involved last night and he took some big hits on a number of plays.

"The Lions’ logic for playing their electric deep threat was much the same as it was for dressing Rourke. However, I was surprised by the general wariness of his comments pre-game about returning to action. Whitehead seemed like a player with serious reservations about the benefits of dressing, in stark contrast to his quarterback." JC Abbott

The Bombers approach to this game was threefold:

1. Overall to send a message to potential contenders for the Grey Cup, they're firing on ALL CYLINDERS.

That is a well-coached, well-prepared team and as Suitor said they prepare every player to play - and it shows.
I've never quite understood the thinking that backups like QBs just stand back and pretend as they mirror the QB actually making plays.

The Lions:

1. Do no harm (other than maybe risk un-Lucky Whitehead as he took some big hits on those early catches).

2. Get rust off of Nathan Rourke which he showed until the fumble that did show a bit of a rust, so he left the game 7/11 and 68 yards a FG vs. Collaros playing win.

3. Upside it was good that Vernon Adams came to play and maybe the competition with Rourke fired him up.

4. It wasn't that the Lions didn't try to win but just maybe the Bombers now going to sit until the Western Final were playing to win, were having fun and pretty much hiding nothing in the playbook.

The question will be answered versus Calgary if this was the best approach.
On the other hand, if they got battered and beaten winning this game that made no difference getting the home play off date, I'd be complaining they should have done the above and maybe rest Whitehead.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
thecatmak
prospect

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:55 am
Question:

Were people booing the line "the True North strong and free" both last night in Winnipeg and in parts of BC Place during the Bombers game here?
If that was some booing is that a Bomber thing or is that now "a thing" in Canada?

I ask as I thought I heard it last night on the radio broadcast as I rushed home.
Last game at BC PLace with the Bombers in town we were sitting in the northwest corner and a section or two over towards the Bombers bench there were boos at that line.

Bombers fan who traverses as many team forums as I can here.

At home games, Winnipeg fans will emphasis TRUE NORTH as a cringey "hail corporate" shoutout to True North Sports and Entertainment for bringing back the Jets.

For Bomber games, during 'God keep our land, glorious and free!", free will be replaced with Blue, which kind of sounds like booing.

The only pre-game boo's I have heard in the last 30 or so home games has been whenever the Riders enter the field of play, and during the west final when the recently acclaimed PC Leader Heather Stefansson took the podium to announce something around Bob Irving's retirement.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Bombers fans have to be the most stupidest and ignorant in the league. “Collaros has proven again he is better than Rourke.”

Apparently it has nothing to do with the Bombers defence being vastly better than the Lions. It’s the biggest difference between the two teams and it’s sadly not close.