O'Connor - the forgotten man?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Walt67
Starter

With all the understandable excitement of Rourke returning to the lineup, and the eyes on VA's efforts to prove himself as a decent starter - I keep wondering about the status of UBC Alum O'Connor?

Reports on him back during training camp were fairly promising. He was showing some positive growth in his short stint stepping in for Rourke, but the injury early in the second quarter of his game knocked him out.

Has anyone heard about his injury status - and what are your thoughts about his prospects for 2023 with a team which may - or may not - have the coveted No 12?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

O'Connor looked healthy in recent pregame warmups, and still has the second strongest and most accurate arm on the team after Nathan Rourke, but I'm not sure if he is fully recovered from his groin injury. He is much more valuable to the Lions as a national backup to Rourke than as a starter or backup to Vernon Adams. Antonio Pipkin has made himself valuable as the team's short-yardage quarterback and is not likely to give up that role. That could leave O'Connor as the odd man out for the playoffs. For next year, O'Connor's best hope is that Rourke returns and Adams doesn't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, it leaves me wondering what the next season holds for Vernon Adams as well. If Rourke is back healthy, then I don't see a role for Adams. I also wonder what is going to happen for BLM. I have heard some Sask rumblings but I wouldn't rule him out of an Eastern Team either. Harris hasn't been that impressive in Montreal and I think if you are going to be paying for a veteran QB, you would probably want BLM over Harris. Masoli is going to come back so Ottawa is probably good.

Adams might have to stay on as a backup somewhere as the list of possible teams needing a starter is going to be pretty thin next season. But he might be good trade material. Injuries happen and next season, when a team finds themselves down a QB, I bet there would be a lot of takers.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't feel comfortable with Vernon Adams at the helm. Don't see him as the quarterback of the future of the Lions.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:47 pm
Don't feel comfortable with Vernon Adams at the helm. Don't see him as the quarterback of the future of the Lions.
At this point in his career, I believe 'he is what he is.' Fans need to temper their expectations. I believe VA has done what he was brought in here to do. Be a competent game manager who doesn't turn the ball over. He only has 1 INT in his 6 starts (and I believe Scarfone ran the wrong route on that pick on Friday).

Would I like him to tuck the ball and run more? Hell yea. But despite some wonky quarters of play and a couple of shaky starts, he's been able to move the ball and get us 4 wins (could quite possibly have been 5 if not for the Whyte miss in Toronto). I actually feel good having him as Rourke's back-up should (God forbid) his recovery for the playoffs not go as well as planned.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
almo89
Legend

David wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:37 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
At this point in his career, I believe 'he is what he is.' Fans need to temper their expectations. I believe VA has done what he was brought in here to do. Be a competent game manager who doesn't turn the ball over. He only has 1 INT in his 6 starts (and I believe Scarfone ran the wrong route on that pick on Friday).

Would I like him to tuck the ball and run more? Hell yea. But despite some wonky quarters of play and a couple of shaky starts, he's been able to move the ball and get us 4 wins (could quite possibly have been 5 if not for the Whyte miss in Toronto). I actually feel good having him as Rourke's back-up should (God forbid) his recovery for the playoffs not go as well as planned.

Yeah I agree. He's as good as he'll be. He did his job and got us the wins needed to host a playoff game. I still would like to see them develop QB from the ground up when Rourke will be gone. If we are lucky, we get Rourke for one more season. After that, they need to develop the next guy. I still wanna see O'Connor get more looks. He barely got a chance and then he got injured. He's been dressed for a few games now, but behind Pipkin. We all know Pipkin isn't going to be the guy to carry the torch.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:37 pm
TheLionKing wrote:

You're sounding a bit like Jon Hufnagel, Dave Dickenson and players like Nik Lewis when Kevin Glen was their starter due to injury.
Glenn didn't have to be BLM - just win games and keep the ball.

I too have been guilty of holding VA to be Anthony Cavillo standards as they both played in MTL.

I'd like to see Vernon Adams run more but then again, I'd like BC to have more creative run schemes a la the Bombers where they'll have any one of a number of players running at times. I love watching the Bombers play calls as they're exciting even more these past two years as Pierce has put his own ideas in.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy