Rourke is back

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Nathan Rourke is back. He is eligible come off the 6-game injured list this week and he was listed as a limited participant in the first practice of the week on Tuesday. Here’s video of him from practice, courtesy of bclions.com:

Whether he dresses against the Bombers on Saturday remains to be seen but we can expect to see him in action soon.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Wonderful news. But as I said on the other thread... Please, please, please be careful and don't hurry things! (I sometimes wonder about team doctor and coach decisions, e.g. letting Lucky go back in after getting his leg twisted in the pile, and then further aggravating it and needing to miss the next game. Not smart at all.) But it is truly heartening to see Nathan out there, hucking the ball.
KnightofCydonia
Starter

This is incredible to see, but please, Lions, don't push it! Make sure he is ready and not playing injured! It would be devastating to see his injury aggravated further.

We can take the losses against Winnipeg. We have to play 2 games to get to the Grey Cup either way. Just focus on being healthy first.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Fantastic news. Still a long ways to go. The Province's Steve Ewen provides a bit of a timeline with likely the earliest we see him being the regular season finale at Winnipeg in 3 weeks.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... easons-end
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'd be surprised if they rushed Rourke in any way IF it's not a fully healed injury.

I too was shocked when Whitehead came back in that quickly as it looked so serious. He came back in limping and now they still aren't saying his status for this week's game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

My most optimistic hope was that he might be able to return for the playoffs as best case scenario. The WSF is still just over 3 weeks away so lots of time yet to continue with the rehab process.

In the past week I'd become curious about how he was progressing. After a few sideline sightings with him on the knee cart then walking boot then without walking boot it seemed to be crickets for Rourke sightings. This new development is certainly encouraging but I'm not taking it as a sign his return is imminent. Doing some throwing is a long ways from from being capable of throwing, running and making cuts at game speed. If he is deemed to be healthy enough to suit up for the season finale without risk to reinjury that IMO would be a near miraculous recovery.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lions offering 2 for 1 tickets for this WPG game.
Pratzy
prospect

I've already bought my 4 extra tickets for $5 each. I am giving them away at the office.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

3 Down Nation on Vernon Adams contract with BC and this statement:

"With Nathan Rourke seemingly destined to sign an NFL contract in the offseason, the Lions have an experienced option for next season."

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/14/vete ... b-c-lions/
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With only a 9 game season, I think it is too small of a sample size for any NFL team to make much of an offer to Rourke. He is better off starting in the CFL in 2023 vs holding a clipboard in the NFL. Rourke is also up against a "meh" NFL scouting report and the fact that he did not get any undrafted free agent NFL offers when he graduated from the University of Ohio.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:29 pm
With only a 9 game season, I think it is too small of a sample size for any NFL team to make much of an offer to Rourke. He is better off starting in the CFL in 2023 vs holding a clipboard in the NFL. Rourke is also up against a "meh" NFL scouting report and the fact that he did not get any undrafted free agent NFL offers when he graduated from the University of Ohio.
Agreed. Rourke’s younger brother Kurtis, who is bigger and is considered a better NFL prospect, is eligible for the 2024 draft.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:

That would be my view. Stay in the CFL and build a resume for next three years. I don't think his former NFL scouting report matters much after he started so well this year.

But I have no knowledge of how Rourke might think. He's a special player and breed and if he had the right situation (coach, team, competition) I'd not bet against him. It is a lot of money down there.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:52 pm
DanoT wrote:

That would be my view. Stay in the CFL and build a resume for next three years. I don't think his former NFL scouting report matters much after he started so well this year.

But I have no knowledge of how Rourke might think. He's a special player and breed and if he had the right situation (coach, team, competition) I'd not bet against him. It is a lot of money down there.
Agreed on the scouting report. With 2 years having passed since then it maybe only counts for an NFL organization that is too lazy to do its homework. We know that NFL clubs have eyes watching what's going on up here constantly. The football network isn't a one way street with the CFL looking for prospects down south while the NFL ignores north of the 49th. What they see with their own eyes and ears since that report will carry far more weight in their assessment than the report itself.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

All signs point to a return of Nathan Rourke in Friday's season finale in Winnipeg. Farhan Lalji says Rourke has been medically cleared to play and showed no signs of his injury while throwing to receivers on his own Monday, a non-practice day.

Neil McEvoy tells Steve Ewen that Rourke will be the "most disappointed person in the province if he can't play" this week.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... um=twitter

I hope to see him start the game and play a quarter or a half before giving way to Vernon Adams.

For what it’s worth, the weather outlook for Friday in Winnipeg calls for sun and a balmy high of 13 and a low of 4, with evening wind gusts up to 39 km/h.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Never thought he would be back this year. That injury looked rough.

I had pretty much written the season off as we don't have a playoff QB, but this changes everything.

Give him a good quarter. Keep him protected. Let him loose against Calgary.