Lions vs. Redblacks Sept. 30, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnightofCydonia
Starter

Too many sacks for a game against Ottawa
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Alright, I get soft defense near the end of the game but this is ridiculous. It shows a lack of pride to let a team that is out of it so easily march the field.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

In all honesty, I forgot there was a game tonight. I just can't get excited about a team with Vernon Adams at QB. I was really excited to see O'Connor play, and would happily watch the team struggle if he was getting some time behind centre. Anyone know when he's back?

But the reason for my posting: I recall an absolutely awful game in 1989 around Halloween when the Lions wore all orange. Is the first time they've done all orange unis since then?

Cheers,

James
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Played good enough to beat an eastern 3 win team playing at10:30pm their time.

That is not a championship D. They need to improve big time. Quickly.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Special teams coverage continues to be the Achilles heel for the Lions. There is no secret to special teams. It's all about the will , the will to fight off your opponent and make plays. From my perspective it seems like the players are in position but can't fight off their blocks. Maybe it's time to play the regular defence on special teams. You just can't allow the opposition to start at mid field every time.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions played with 10 Canadians in the second half with Rugamba out and Whitehead sidelined for a time. That included five Canadians on defence for most of the half, with two linemen, two linebackers and Lokombo playing safety while Purofoy filled in for Rugamba at SAM.

I’m getting tired of Ryan Phillips’ zone defence bending all day with easy underneath completions before tightening up in man coverage in the red zone. Aside from Garry Peters’ late interception when Arbuckle tried to force a ball across his body from the sideline, the secondary was a step late all night, or several steps in the case of TJ Lee, who may have had his worst game as a Lion.

On a positive note, the Lions took care of business by grabbing an early lead and never letting the Redblacks back into the game. Vernon Adams still looks lost in the pocket at times, giving up five sacks when he couldn’t find an open receiver or an escape route, but he completed an impressive 17 of 22 passes for 305 yards, including deep completions of 54 yards to Whitehead to open the second half, 36 and 35 yards to Rhymes and 34 yards to Hatcher.

The Lions also ran the ball 24 times for an impressive 150 yards, including 16 carries for 89 yards for Butler.

I hope the injuries from this game aren’t too serious. With four games left, the Lions still control their own destiny. Four wins would clinch first place, three wins would clinch at least second place. It’s too bad there’s only one home game left but the team is 5-1 on the road. Anything is possible.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JC Abbott, as usual, is right on the mark in his post-game analysis, especially on the Ryan Phillips defence and the play of Vernon Adams.
https://3downnation.com/2022/10/01/lion ... redblacks/
montana
prospect

I was at the game and didn't see Rourke on the sideline. Anyone know what gives there?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The O played better, the ST was the same-horrible returns and return coverage. The D gave up way too much yardage. A better opponent would have scored a few TDs instead of settling for 4 FGs. Lions were fortunate to win.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

montana wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:44 am
I was at the game and didn't see Rourke on the sideline. Anyone know what gives there?

I sit on the opposite side of the field and was too far away to try and see him on the sidelines. Just re-watching the TSN broadcast and at one point I could see a player in a walking boot sitting on the training table but they didn't show his face. Given how much Burnham was on camera, I would think if Rourke was there they would have showed him at least once.
My hope is he is he is now out of a walking boot and standing for 3 hours on the sidelines with no assistance would not be ideal at this stage of his recovery.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Bend but don't break sure sums up the Lions defence these days. Could have been a much different game if Ottawa didn't settle for 3 FGs inside B.C.'s 20-yard-line.
I get they were on the field too much in the previous home games against the Riders and Stamps. But with Arbuckle's 368 yard passing night the Lions' secondary has been lit up in three straight home games.
Mentioned this last week but add me to the list of being tired of Phillips' constant soft zone. There have been far too many easy 2nd and long conversions of late.
Teams also piling up rushing yards too. The d-line has been one regular short in its rotation the past few games since the release of Bonner & subsequent injuries to Teuhema and Gwacham in consecutive weeks and it's showing. Hopefully Gwacham will be back soon and Stove Richardson's debut is around the corner.

I get the need to dress Bruce Anderson last night in case Butler got hurt and no Mackie. But as we saw it really hurt them when Whitehead went out and they had to go to Petermann.
Williams has added a little spark to their brutal return game but he has to be versatile enough to play receiver too as an American as they can ill afford a huge drop off like what happened last night.

With 2 games left against the Stamps and at least 3rd locked up in the West, I guess we become Riders fans and hope they can keep alive their crossover hopes right up to those games.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

montana wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:44 am
I didn’t see Rourke, but I also don’t recall seeing him at other games since his injury, and I sit near the players’ tunnel in the west end zone. I know he regularly attends practice and meetings.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What is the point of dressing Michael O'Connor and have him standing around ? Obvious that he's not fit to play.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:09 am
The O played better, the ST was the same-horrible returns and return coverage. The D gave up way too much yardage. A better opponent would have scored a few TDs instead of settling for 4 FGs. Lions were fortunate to win.

Agreed on the average to often mediocre or weak looking defence; not enough consistent pass rush; give up big chunks of rushing yardage at times; not enough play-making in the secondary (pass knock-downs, INTs, big hits). Not going to win in the play-offs with that.

Don't get Lokombo not playing ? - HTF is this guy not on the field on D lots (unless he is nicked and can't play at full speed?) - play-maker and vet leader - he could play moved around at 2 or even all LB spots and he was strong at safety when the Als used him there. Purifoy might be a vet D player, but he does not really get CFL safety IMO; Sayles is a bit of a liability IMO and Rugamba is a raw rookie. Have your best D players on the field most of the time (same deal for Menard on the D-Line).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:22 am
What is the point of dressing Michael O'Connor and have him standing around ? Obvious that he's not fit to play.
I don’t know if he can run, but in warmups he was throwing the best deep ball of all three quarterbacks.