Lions at Alouettes Sept. 9, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released a depth chart listing Antonio Pipkin as starting quarterback for Friday’s game in Montreal, backed up by Vernon Adams and Michael O’Connor. There are no other changes to the offensive starters or ratio.

On defence, the Lions added Nathan Cherry as a national starter at tackle in place of Tim Bonner, who moves to the 1-game injured list. This is the ratio adjustment that many of us had hoped to see. The Lions have lots of national depth to rotate on the line.

Second-year DB Jalon Edwards-Cooper draws into the lineup at halfback to replace the injured T.J. Lee. Bo Lokombo draws back into the starting lineup at weakside linebacker ahead of Jordan Williams. Ben Hladik remains in the middle.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 am
The Lions have released a depth chart listing Antonio Pipkin as starting quarterback for Friday’s game in Montreal, backed up by Vernon Adams and Michael O’Connor. There are no other changes to the offensive starters or ratio.

On defence, the Lions added Nathan Cheery as a national starter at tackle in place of Tim Bonner. This is the ratio adjustment that many of us had hoped to see. The Lions have lots of national depth to rotate on the line.

Second-year DB Jalon Edwards-Cooper draws into the lineup at halfback to replace the injured T.J. Lee. Bo Lokombo draws back into the starting lineup at weakside linebacker ahead of Jordan Williams. Ben Hladik remains in the middle.
Jordan Williams and Ben Hladik are both Canadian, so it appears that Hladik has beat out Williams as the starting MLB. This is a big surprise to me.
squishy35
Legend

Pipkin has more under the hood than a lot of people think IMO. It would be nice to see him get off to an effective start in the game tomorrow.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:08 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 am

On defence, the Lions added Nathan Cheery as a national starter at tackle in place of Tim Bonner. This is the ratio adjustment that many of us had hoped to see. The Lions have lots of national depth to rotate on the line.

Jordan Williams and Ben Hladik are both Canadian, so it appears that Hladik has beat out Williams as the starting MLB. This is a big surprise to me.
I don't know if Williams has been battling an injury but I've been disappointed in his play this year. He still leads the team in defensive tackles with 43 but ranks just 15th in the league. It's been his missed tackles that I notice every week, against the run and the pass. When he and Hladik swapped positions, I thought it may have been to capitalize on Williams' speed in pass coverage at WILL but teams are still throwing against him with success. Hladik has 2 INTs. Williams has none.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I just noticed that the depth chart posted to Instagram doesn't match the Lions' transactions announced today. Phil Norman is listed as starting left guard but is also listed on the 1-game injured list. I hope the transactions listing is a mistake because the Lions have only 5 other O-lineman on the game-day roster.
September 8, 2022

Add to active roster:

American quarterback Vernon Adams Jr.
American defensive back Jalon Edwards-Cooper
American wide receiver/returner Terry Williams
National defensive lineman Josh Archibald
National linebacker Isaiah Guyzlak-Messam

Add to practice roster:

National defensive lineman Riley Pickett
National linebacker Jacob Firlotte

Add to 1-Game injured list:

American defensive back TJ Lee
American defensive lineman Tim Bonner
American offensive lineman Phil Norman
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here is Matt Baker’s game preview and depth chart, confirming that Phil Norman remains as starting left guard, with Andrew Peirson as backup lineman.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/09/07/game ... alouettes/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

At least the declared 7 national starters are exactly what we hoped all along but certainly there will be many moving parts. Pierson for Norman should be the least of their options.

Wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Williams makes minimal impact on returns and they determine Bonner is better use of an extra American next week. Hope I’m wrong.

Still would have liked to have seen them start Adams. They have to be thinking he is their guy for huge upcoming home and home with Calgary.
Rather see that chemistry with his receivers start now where mistakes can be made and perhaps they still have enough to beat Montreal. Not so much next week at McMahon.
maxlion
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:30 am
Wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Williams makes minimal impact on returns and they determine Bonner is better use of an extra American next week. Hope I’m wrong.

Still would have liked to have seen them start Adams. They have to be thinking he is their guy for huge upcoming home and home with Calgary.
Rather see that chemistry with his receivers start now where mistakes can be made and perhaps they still have enough to beat Montreal. Not so much next week at McMahon.
I was hoping to see Adams too, but I think starting Pipken makes sense. Either Pipken will play adequately and VA can come in for a few series here and there, or Pipken will not be adequate and VA will take over during the game. Either way, VA gets a chance to watch a bit before getting thrown into the fire.

I expect T Williams to make a difference on returns. I appreciate that the blocking often isn't there, but Shai Ross lacks any explosjveness or ability to find holes. It's not all on the blocking.

The big surprise for me is Hladik beating out Justin Williams. Good for Hladik, but having a national talent like Williams on the bench is surprising. Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but he always seems to be around the ball and making plays.
OV:54-40
Starter

maxlion wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:29 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:30 am

I was hoping to see Adams too, but I think starting Pipken makes sense. Either Pipken will play adequately and VA can come in for a few series here and there, or Pipken will not be adequate and VA will take over during the game. Either way, VA gets a chance to watch a bit before getting thrown into the fire.

I expect T Williams to make a difference on returns. I appreciate that the blocking often isn't there, but Shai Ross lacks any explosjveness or ability to find holes. It's not all on the blocking.

The big surprise for me is Hladik beating out Justin Williams. Good for Hladik, but having a national talent like Williams on the bench is surprising. Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but he always seems to be around the ball and making plays.

Hladik is a big, powerful/athletic (outstanding Combine #s) pure MLB type; Williams is super athletic as well, but maybe better at OLB , but then there's the excellent Lokombo for there - nice to have such riches at LB - and IMO they should try to have all 3 on the field for some packages; S-OLB has evolved to just an extra DB on CFL defences now, but doesn't have to be that way all the time.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Nice opening drive. Pipkin had accuracy issues and was just 2 of 5 but moved the ball into field goal range for Sean Whyte. 3-0 Lions.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Depth chart mistake. Williams starting and not Lokombo
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Holding penalty in Delvin Breaux on the punt return backs the Lions up to their own 5 yard line and leads to a Montreal safety.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pipkin looked tentative on that sack
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So Pimpkin feels the pressure and runs right into instead of flushing outside? Awful. Get Adams in already
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Once again, poor coverage on punt