Lions vs. Riders Aug. 26, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Got to love the Ref's calling that one.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
swervynmerv
Legend

Stupid, weak penalty and the Lions D can't stop the run
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Oh, well, I think that first down is pretty much all she wrote. Very sad to see how injury can alter a trajectory of an entire season.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Too many injuries to overcome for any team.
Disturber
Champion

What a horrible loss
Go Lions!
swervynmerv
Legend

Lions weren't very good all game and still came down to the last minute.

Had them deep like they needed but a real questionable PI and the D's inability to make a stop cost them Lions one last chance to maybe tie
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, I am now thinking 3rd place if we are lucky. This Rider team is not very good and we couldn't get it done. So let's count this. Tonight, we lost TJ Lee, Lucky Whitehead and Brendan O'Conner. And we have yet to play, Cgy 2x and the Bombers 2x. All those bye weeks early on would sure have been more welcome now.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pretty sad that the Lions even have Pipkin on the roster. Some one is failing at their job if they cant find better
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
swervynmerv
Legend

I know I mentioned it after last game and there wasn't a a lot of interest, but has anyone changed their mind about reaching out to Michael Reilly after that performance?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Let’s not panic. 2 points would have been nice, but was not game we needed to win. We still have a 3 game advantage over Saskatchewan (4 points plus the tie break) and we are still two games up on Calgary with a chance to own the tie break if we can split the back-to-back games coming up in a few weeks.

Hopefully O’Connor will be OK for the Montreal game in two weeks.
OV:54-40
Starter

Very poor effort by the defence/DC; Fajardo at 80% passing completions, and Hickson runs wild for over 100 yards, with an 8 per carry average. Losing Lee did not help.

Was Lokombo dressed? - why activate a veteran, real D play-maker and not have him in there ?; Nathan Cherry continues to impress and needs more playing time at DT IMO; and Betts is starting to show the potential he had coming out of Canadian college ball as one of the best DEs all-time there.

Did Myksmic think a young QB making his first start was going to light up the Riders D going all pass ? - he was at 40% completions when he had to leave - or was he really pulled? Way more variety needed out of the offence without Rourke's outstanding play. I guess a run game will not be part of it ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Not sure about all the dissing of Pipkin. Nobody will confuse him with Rourke but IMO tonight he looked a lot better than O'Connor. As a more seasoned vet he probably should. He's far more capable with his legs and throws the ball with more authority.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:28 pm
Let’s not panic. 2 points would have been nice, but was not game we needed to win. We still have a 3 game advantage over Saskatchewan (4 points plus the tie break) and we are still two games up on Calgary with a chance to own the tie break if we can split the back-to-back games coming up in a few weeks.

Hopefully O’Connor will be OK for the Montreal game in two weeks.
Oh no. Panic. This team without Rourke isn’t good enough yet.

Maybe next year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:35 pm
Very poor effort by the defence/DC; Fajardo at 80% passing completions, and Hickson runs wild for over 100 yards, with an 8 per carry average. Losing Lee did not help.

Was Lokombo dressed? - why activate a veteran, real D play-maker and not have him in there ?; Nathan Cherry continues to impress and needs more playing time at DT IMO; and Betts is starting to show the potential he had coming out of Canadian college ball as one of the best DEs all-time there.

Did Myksmic think a young QB making his first start was going to light up the Riders D going all pass ? - he was at 40% completions when he had to leave - or was he really pulled? Way more variety needed out of the offence without Rourke's outstanding play. I guess a run game will not be part of it ?
Lokombo was dressed. I don't recall him out there defensively and wasn't paying enough attention to special teams to see if he was on coverage units.

I didn't know what the situation was with the QB switch whether it was for injury or performance. At that point I was hoping for a switch. Being in the stadium I had no idea if broadcast crews shed any light. Prior to the switch O'Connor did show a slight limp I thought after one play. Later I read here possible concussion. After that I did notice him standing on the sidelines with 2 of the Lions training staff beside him talking to him for several minutes.

EDIT: I see a TSN report that it was a groin injury so maybe that play where I thought he was favoring a leg was the one.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Alputt
Champion

Just got home from game.

Disappointed Rhymes couldn't haul in that last long bomb from Pipkin. Not an easy catch but if he had...

Pipkin settled down and played decent down the stretch. Rather have him than crazy talk of calling Reilly who retired for a reason.

I question why Butler only had 4 touches? If the passing game was going to be questionable why not open the playbook to a highly talented RB?

Perhaps because Pipkin has some legs and just went for it under pressure.

Not panic mode yet. But will be tough to secure a home playoff game without significant adjustments.

Lucky Whitehead and TJ Lee injureies are bad news. Hopefully the last bye week will help...