2022-23 NFL/Seahawks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

After a decade, the Seahawks will be deciding on a new starting QB after the departure of Russell Wilson.

2022 Pre-season has started and the Seahawks are currently starting Geno Smith.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Seahawks defence still needs a lot of work after giving up so many points to the Steelers in their 32-25 pre-season loss.

Geno Smith vs. Drew Lock are almost identical with Smith at 10 out of 15 for 101 yards, and Lock at 11 out of 15 for 102 yards. Lock threw 2 TD's and Smith none, but scored a rushing TD of his own.

Too early to decide who will be the starting Seahawks QB. :juggle:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

Hey, Robbie, thanks for getting this thread started. The 2022 season looks like a pretty bleak one for the Seahawks, with a 4th-place finish in the NFC-West likely. The biggest question is which of Geno Smith and Drew Lock will end up the No.1 QB. However, there's also a chance that they may try to add another QB to the mix. Rumours have been swirling that Jimmy Garoppolo may be a possibility. Actually, I doubt that. I think Pete Carroll may just roll with one of the two for this season and then draft a top college QB in the 2023 draft. From the Russell Wilson trade, they have accumulated some top draft picks (2 in each of the first and second rounds, I believe), and this may lead to a top QB picked in the draft.

The 'Hawks' running game may be good this season. The No. 1 guy will be Rashaad Penny, who showed a lot at the end of last season, and they added a really good tailback in the draft (2nd round) in Kenneth Walker. With these two guys, along with D.J. Dallas and Travis Homer back, they would seem to have some real weapons there. A lot will depend on how the O-line performs, of course, but with rookies at the two tackle spots, it's not reasonable to expect really first-rate performance, I think, at this point. 2022 will be a rebuilding year, I'm afraid, although Pete Carroll will refuse to call it that!

The defense is a question mark at this point. They have added a couple of pass rushers, including a rookie, Boye Mafe, who has looked very good in the preseason games. The linebacking corps is depleted with the departure of Bobby Wagner, and we will see a lot of 3-4 defensive sets this season, with the outside LBs (Alton Robinson and Darrell Taylor, along with Mafe) providing much of the pass rush. The run defense, however, looks shaky. They were really awful in the Chicago game, and missed tackles were a major problem. The secondary could be OK, with real strength (Quandre Diggs and Jamal Adams) at the safety positions. Cornerback is less certain. They have several players at that position, including Sidney Jones who played well last year, but the other corner spot is still up for grabs.

Pundits have been very negative about the 2022 Seahawks, including one or two who have predicted something like a 3- or 4-win season (with one pundit seeing them as the worst team in the NFL). I tend to think that they will be a little better than that in rebuilding mode, winning perhaps 6 or 7 games,, although that may be overly optimistic. Pete Carroll is a very solid coach, and I don't see him allowing 13 or 14 losses. Some Seahawk followers see this lineup and season as a sort of "setting the table" for a strong draft, much better cap space (with Russell Wilson's dead money removed) and off-season free-agent pickups, and a year of experience for what is a very young team at this point. So we may be a year or so away from a resurgence of the Seahawks.
Dusty
Champion

NFL started tonight with Rams vs. Bills..... Allen is looking positive Rourkeian to there.....
South Pender
Legend

Interesting and pretty stunning season opener tonight for the Seahawks--17-16 over the Broncos. A real surprise as the 'Hawks were 6.5-point underdogs. A good game for Geno Smith and the defense particularly. The box score greatly favored the Broncos, out-gaining the Seahawks by a wide margin, but the 'Hawks made stops when they had to. I was pleasantly surprised by the Seahawks' corners (who I thought would be eaten alive by Russell Wilson and the excellent Bronco receivers)--very inexperienced, particularly rookie Tariq Woolen who I thought played pretty well at the right corner spot. He's an athletic freak of nature, a big guy (6-4, 205) running a blazing 4.26 40 at his pro day. Perhaps the second coming of Richard Sherman. Way too early to tell, of course, but maybe this season won't be quite the complete disaster predicted for the Seahawks by many.... :cr:

Edit: Tuesday morning. Now the bad news, Star strong safety Jamal Adams went out with a bad knee/quad injury, and this could be season-ending. The defense will take a major hit.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Decent performance by the Seahawks to place them first in the NFC West. Good performance by the defence to force several turnovers and that's something that the team desparately needs after the offence committed some costly turnovers of their own.

Excellent running by Kenneth Walker III and great kicking by Jason Myers to give the team much needed field goal and convert points to hold on to the lead.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

There's been some older threads comparing CFL vs. NFL and the assorted differences.

One huge off-field difference is with regards to celebrity gossip news involving the players in that it only applies to famous NFL players. Most recently, Tom Brady and his divorce from Gisele Bündchen after 13 years of marriage. This news has made headlines around the world.

When was the last time there was huge celebrity gossip news on the personal lives of any CFL player - specifically their marriage, affair, or divorce?
祝你龍年行大運。
ddanny
Rookie

big game today friend of mine going to get soaked if the Hawks win i am proclaiming they are going to be playoff bound playing a excellent Giants team.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

ddanny wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:04 pm
big game today friend of mine going to get soaked if the Hawks win i am proclaiming they are going to be playoff bound playing a excellent Giants team.
An excellent, solid performance by the Seahawks in winning over the tough NY Giants team. The Seahawks better not drop down their guard when they travel to Arizona next week despite the Cardinals bad record.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm not a big NFL follower but Chase Claypool getting traded is a shocker:

"The Pittsburgh Steelers have traded Canadian receiver Chase Claypool to the Chicago Bears in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, according to ESPN reporter Field Yates."

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/01/cana ... ago-bears/

He had even tossed a touchdown pass recently.

Is this due to a better player OR his rumoured outspokenness that the Steelers didn't like?
While I'd prefer to see him in the CFL, it's still a good thing that more Canadians are making it in the NFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

He seemed to be relatively quiet in the ranks of the Pittsburgh receiver corp this season. Like they didn't seem to quite know how to use him in their game plan or he simply wasn't getting open. I'm not sure which. . After that 4 TD performance he had last season, I think a lot of folks thought he was going to be the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice or something like that. This year, he seemed more of an afterthought in the O than a prime player. The Steelers look like they are well on their way to an abysmal season so perhaps they are committed to trying to rebuild.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Dusty
Champion

I hope the change of scenery will be good for Claypool and think it will be. In Chicago, he will have a QB throwing to him that has a few years of experience and a real good arm. In Pittsburgh, he had neither.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good solid win by the Seahawks on the road in Arizona. Great recovery after the quick six pick to give the Cardinals a 14-10 lead, but good that the offence were not deflated and fought back to quickly take the lead again.

Next up in Munich, Germany against Tom Brady and the Buccaneers who just barely won in the last seconds over the LA Rams, though it helped the Seahawks in NFC west rankings. I read that the game is sold out. I'd say overall among Germans, they all know about Tom Brady especially after his recent divorce which made tabloid headlines whereas most Germans cannot name a single player on the Seahawks roster.
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:24 pm
Good solid win by the Seahawks on the road in Arizona. Great recovery after the quick six pick to give the Cardinals a 14-10 lead, but good that the offence were not deflated and fought back to quickly take the lead again.

Next up in Munich, Germany against Tom Brady and the Buccaneers who just barely won in the last seconds over the LA Rams, though it helped the Seahawks in NFC west rankings. I read that the game is sold out. I'd say overall among Germans, they all know about Tom Brady especially after his recent divorce which made tabloid headlines whereas most Germans cannot name a single player on the Seahawks roster.
how many married ones can they name
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Seahawks defence went sloppy again against Tom Brady to allow the Buccaneers take a quick lead. Seahawks offence valiantly fought back but a costly fumble in the red zone proved extremely costly resulting in the comeback come just short at 21-16.

Game was sold out in Munich, Germany.
祝你龍年行大運。