Lions renew lease on Surrey facility

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Not sure if you guys caught this or not. Leos to stay in the current facility in Whalley for 5 more years (but allows for "early termination upon 12 months written notice by either party after the second year of the term").

Doman did mention they will likely be elsewhere in the next 5-10 years as they need to upgrade to ensure players will want to play here and the lease is getting expensive due to development and upgrades to the area (but this could have been while negotiations were taking place).

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/33 ... n-whalley/

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, David. That sounds like a reasonable deal. It’s a nice, high-profile location next to SkyTrain, which many players use to commute to practices and games, but it’s inevitable that the team will eventually be squeezed out of Surrey City Centre. I’m sure the Lions would like a bit more space for practice fields, and perhaps even an indoor practice field, but they’s not likely to find that space next to a SkyTrain line, even when the new Surrey-Langley extension of the Expo Line opens in six years.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It's too bad that sometime in the past years that the Lion's didn't actually buy a property when it is was practical and reasonable. Renting/Leasing seems like a bit of a contradiction for a fixture like the Lions. As handy as the location is, it isn't really very striking and for many years was (haven't been to Surrey lately) kind of in a rough part of Surrey. Doesn't really scream big league to me. Now I have no idea what kind of practise facilities other teams have so I am uniformed as to what the norm is but yes, a transplant/facelift is probably in order and perhaps they would be wise to buy a property if one could be found that was large enough for the purpose.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Qman
Champion

I could see them partnering with abbottsford or chiiliwack on a facility,. Basically a city that is growing and wants to build out their infrastructure. Covered practice field with facilities. Maybe jointly with a college. So you have multiple users in off-season, spread the cost around. Like what they have in kamloops.

The same way the caps did. But Cap facility at UBC is kinda small. Basically what lions already have. Basically take it to next level.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Have you seen the grass in Alberta? Green is not its natural color.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:44 pm
I could see them partnering with abbottsford or chiiliwack on a facility,. Basically a city that is growing and wants to build out their infrastructure. Covered practice field with facilities. Maybe jointly with a college. So you have multiple users in off-season, spread the cost around. Like what they have in kamloops.
I don't think there is a chance in hell they will practice in Abby or Chilliwack and play their games in Vancouver. Way too inconvenient for the players/staff.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:28 pm
It's too bad that sometime in the past years that the Lion's didn't actually buy a property when it is was practical and reasonable. Renting/Leasing seems like a bit of a contradiction for a fixture like the Lions. As handy as the location is, it isn't really very striking and for many years was (haven't been to Surrey lately) kind of in a rough part of Surrey. Doesn't really scream big league to me. Now I have no idea what kind of practise facilities other teams have so I am uniformed as to what the norm is but yes, a transplant/facelift is probably in order and perhaps they would be wise to buy a property if one could be found that was large enough for the purpose.
If memory serves me correctly the Lions did originally own the Surrey facility back in the mid 80s when they were community-owned and regularly drawing 40K plus at BC Place. When things started going south with them teetering on insolvency they sold the land and facility back to the City of Surrey and got into a lease arrangement.

Edmonton has access to the Commonwealth Community Rec Centre's fieldhouse, gym etc which adjoins Commonwealth Stadium . I believe they hold their outdoor practices on the Clarke Stadium field which is off the southwest corner of Commonwealth. That may have changed after Commonwealth's natural grass surface was replaced with FieldTurf.

Calgary I think uses McMahon for practices.

Riders use Mosaic's facilities.

Bombers likely use IGF facilities and other UofM facilities including one of the neighbouring fields on the UofM campus. There is one lined for 3 down football maybe 250 yards away from the stadium.

Argos use Lamport Stadium for practices. It's right across the Gardner Expressway from BMO.

I'm guessing the rest rely on the same stadiums they play out of plus any other adjoining facilities that might be available.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.