Garrett Marino

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well throwing a Helmut at your opponent pre game hasn't seemed to generate much noise in TD Atlantic. That rises to criminal in my books. Those helmets are heavy and dangerous. Could just as easily do as much damage as a brick.

Hope the league looks at that film post hoc and suspends. Might also be time for a zoom with all team HC's and GM's. Tell them all to get there players under control or face discipline.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:18 pm
Well throwing a Helmut at your opponent pre game hasn't seemed to generate much noise in TD Atlantic. That rises to criminal in my books. Those helmets are heavy and dangerous. Could just as easily do as much damage as a brick.

Hope the league looks at that film post hoc and suspends. Might also be time for a zoom with all team HC's and GM's. Tell them all to get there players under control or face discipline.
^^^Good idea, but won't happen due to the CFL wanting to avoid bringing up issues that result in unfavourable press. They would rather stick their heads in the sand.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The CFL will look at the helmet toss incident as there were no refs there at the time as it was warm up, but with Duke W's background I don't see a suspension is in anyone's interests unless you're an opposing team or fan. Some of that stuff we're seeing in non-play situations suggests that coaches and teams haven't got the pre-season stupidity out of their players.

That has to be addressed by teams and coaches as discipline is costly ask Danny Macoicia lol . His team was worse than Khari

As Mike O'Shea says, when we're talking of this stuff, we're not focused on football and this week all games were pretty good viewing espec. Bombers and Stamps and Riders - Argos. Now if they could get these kickers more consistent lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Marino fined by the CFL for unnecessary roughness against Lions Peter Godber. Seems to be a pattern developing with this guy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

shades of Jimenez and Rob whatisname.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
almo89
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:28 pm
I remember our oline was way better with Jimenez and Rob Murphy, but Jiminez was really dirty. Murphy wasn't as bad but would always be on the line.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

almo89 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:18 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
I remember our oline was way better with Jimenez and Rob Murphy, but Jiminez was really dirty. Murphy wasn't as bad but would always be on the line.
Murphy had a temper, which got him into trouble a few times including one particularly notable meltdown when he played for Toronto, but his play never quite crossed the line like Jimenez did.

Were they here the same time as Khreem Smith? Vicious on both sides of the line.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:16 pm
almo89 wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Murphy had a temper, which got him into trouble a few times including one particularly notable meltdown when he played for Toronto, but his play never quite crossed the line like Jimenez did.

Were they here the same time as Khreem Smith? Vicious on both sides of the line.
I believe you're thinking of Khalif Mitchell, not Khreem Smith. Mitchell got suspended for literally trying to tear Eskimo OL Simeon Rottier's arm from the rest of his body. I don't recall Smith ever being involved in anything like that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:44 pm
While this seems to have been extreme, seems to me the chirping and after whistle antics are at an all new level this year.
It seems that with the new rule (2 obj. conducts and you're tossed) this after-whistle stuff with some teams became an issue. Some teams new players or younger one - not sure on that.

Seems that it's either being called less as players, teams and coaches got the message or refs were told to cut back as in some games (non BC) it got too much and annoying as some were never shown on the telecasts.

Or maybe a combo of smartening the bleep up as it hurts your team and the refs being more tolerant.

The other call that popped up for crazy reason in two games on one week was pyramiding to block kicks. One had a player vault between two team mates to try to block and that sure wasn't pyramiding. Maybe we should allow LOL rugby style pyramding where they lift a player to get a throw-in. All joking aside maybe it has merit .

Back to Garrett Marino. It seems even the TSN panelists have had really harsh words for this guy and not just in the moments that he took Masoli out. Seems those who know him have little time for him - other than maybe his teammates.

The game for chirping seems a bit harsh.

I suspect he didn't appeal only because he got advice that he'll definitely be targeted by officials and also how severe the cost to Masoli was and of course the CFL with even opposing teams angry.

I was disappointed that the Riders didn't make it clear they've put in place a red line but then again look at what happened with Sankey piling O'Connor into the turf. I'd be fine if that got a tossing out of the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Marino had a very quiet night. He was shutout for stats and penalties. I only noticed him twice; once in the first half patting Butler on top of the helmet in a sportsman-like "good effort" way after a play and in the 4th when I saw Dickenson well out onto the field beckoning him to get his butt back over to the sideline. It might have been after Whyte's convert. I hadn't noticed anything going on but it looked like one of those "get over here you jackass before you do something stupid" moments.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

On the pyramiding by rule a player rushing the kicker can't use any part of a team mates body to help him get over or thru the line to attempt blocking the kick. I always thought of pyramiding as being a player literally climbing another player's back to elevate himself higher.

A couple games back Thomas of Edmonton kind of hurdled between 2 other Elks to block the kick and was called for pyramiding. Now if he did that without touching the other Elks that should not be a penalty. But if he put one or both hands onto the shoulder(s) of team mates to give himself a little push up to help clear his legs thru the gap that would be pyramiding by rule. They didn't show the replay last night so no idea what happened to draw the call.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:13 pm
On the pyramiding by rule a player rushing the kicker can't use any part of a team mates body to help him get over or thru the line to attempt blocking the kick. I always thought of pyramiding as being a player literally climbing another player's back to elevate himself higher.

A couple games back Thomas of Edmonton kind of hurdled between 2 other Elks to block the kick and was called for pyramiding. Now if he did that without touching the other Elks that should not be a penalty. But if he put one or both hands onto the shoulder(s) of team mates to give himself a little push up to help clear his legs thru the gap that would be pyramiding by rule. They didn't show the replay last night so no idea what happened to draw the call.
it is not just team mate, it is any player or goalpost
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:52 pm
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:16 pm
almo89 wrote:

I believe you're thinking of Khalif Mitchell, not Khreem Smith. Mitchell got suspended for literally trying to tear Eskimo OL Simeon Rottier's arm from the rest of his body. I don't recall Smith ever being involved in anything like that.
Thanks. I was thinking Khreem wasn't right but couldn't put my finger on the right name. Both guys who were beasts on the field but gentle giants off it.
OV:54-40
Starter

Marino gets in another cheap shot on Collaros late in the game today; not overly blatant / might have been an allowable shot on the QB in the old days, but after Collaros had got rid of the ball and given Marino's history and the desire to protect QBs now - he does it again anyways ?

This clown should be suspended for the rest of the season IMO, with a review of maybe gone for good.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I saw that shot too and it was a cheap shot at best. Not only hit him for no reason but blindsided him too. This guys name keeps floating to tbe top of the dirty play list and yet read on a certain fan forum a ton of complaints about one sided officiating.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.