NFL Interest in Rourke

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

Qman wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:52 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 am
Hambone wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 am
The CBA is very clear on one aspect but vague on the rest. It's very clear that as a 1st/2nd round draft pick his base salary for the 3rd year can only be a max of his 2nd year salary ($65000) + 10% = $71500. Bonuses allowed in the first 2 years are max $7500 sign OR housing allowance and $7500 for playing 50%+1 offensive or defensive stats. What isn't clear is if a significant signing bonus beyond what is allowable in the first 2 years can be offered. CBA doesn't seem to clearly indicate if it can but also doesn't clearly indicate that it can't.
The CBA is clear that draft picks must sign 3-year first contracts with maximum payments each year. What’s not clear, at least to me, is whether teams can extend a player by signing a second contract before the final year expires, as they can with other player contracts. If they can, then the Lions could offer Rourke an extension at a competitive CFL QB salary after this season, or even sooner.
#cfl teams extend players off their first deals all the time. That why they announce extensions, not re-signings

Usually in December, so they can use used cap space for bonus money.
Hakkem Johnson and Mario vilamizar extended after year 2 7 months ago.
Rourke and Williams class will be extended in this December, or play out their 3rd year.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

"It very legitimately could happen. I've spoken to scouts from 4 different #NFL teams...I believe there will be a meaningful number of teams that will want to sign the kid (Nathan Rourke)." - @FarhanLaljiTSN
So is this where as a selfish Lions fan wanting to see the momentum continue to build for the franchise hope he struggles against elite defences like the Bombers and Stamps and it buys us another season up here?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:49 pm
"It very legitimately could happen. I've spoken to scouts from 4 different #NFL teams...I believe there will be a meaningful number of teams that will want to sign the kid (Nathan Rourke)." - @FarhanLaljiTSN
So is this where as a selfish Lions fan wanting to see the momentum continue to build for the franchise hope he struggles against elite defences like the Bombers and Stamps and it buys us another season up here?
NFL teams looking to sign Rourke and NFL teams prepared to give Rourke an actual chance at being the starter are two different things. Even going to teams like the Seahawks who are looking for new starter really aren't a good fit if all they really want is a strong running game and dominate D.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

By my count 27 or 28 NFL clubs are either set at QB and/or have a young QB drafted in early rounds in the last 2 years being groomed to take over. GB, TB, Pit and Atl would fit into that group. And for those that are questionable for a starter there are 4 or 5 QBs already projected to be 1st round picks in 2023.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Comforting observation Hambone. However Rourke wasn’t in that top 5 QB with a chance to contend for the starter spot. So he has to be of mind that his NFL opportunity would have to go the long route and count on some favourable circumstances to end up starting a game or more.

He is young enough to feel that out, but has to be very pleased playing at an MOP level in the CFL. I sure hope that he remains a Lion, but won’t be surprised if the money ends up making the final decision.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:30 pm
Comforting observation Hambone. However Rourke wasn’t in that top 5 QB with a chance to contend for the starter spot. So he has to be of mind that his NFL opportunity would have to go the long route and count on some favourable circumstances to end up starting a game or more.

He is young enough to feel that out, but has to be very pleased playing at an MOP level in the CFL. I sure hope that he remains a Lion, but won’t be surprised if the money ends up making the final decision.
I don't think NFL money is in the equation for Rourke, at least not at this time. He is all about becoming a QB and surely he realizes that starting and having success in the CFL is a more valuable experience than NFL $ and holding a clip board in the NFL.

When Rourke was a high school senior he moved with his mother to Alabama so he could benefit from US high school coaching. Now that he is a Lion, his parents have moved to Vancouver and he is "living in his parent's basement" so he can concentrate on football. I think Rourke's parents are fairly well off and just as focused on him becoming a great QB as he is and know the big $ will come later if he goes from a star CFL QB to NFL starter in a few years time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

What is clear about Rourke is he us a very pragmatic thinker when it comes to building his career path. There is no chance in hell that he would get an offer to immediately compete to start unless that team has a plan to hedge their bets bigtime with a vet or vets with a significant NFL resume and/or pursue a high end QB draft prospect. Best potential offer would be to compete for a #2 or #3 spot behind an aging vet. Next would be to simply compete to catch on to a PR spot. Given Rourke's pragmatism I think he'd pass on the latter but might take a shot at the former DEPENDING on the mix of QBs that organization already has. As such my belief is the situation offered will be the deciding factor.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

^^^ I agree with what Hambone is saying about Rourke needing the right situation offered by an NFL team. I don't think one season of success in the CFL will garner the right kind of NFL situation, money aside.

First dominate the CFL for a few seasons, then sign as a starter with the right team and light it up in the NFL.
Rammer
Team Captain

Age is a factor in all of this discussion. Two years is huge in his NFL potential. It will be interesting to see this unfold.

If he moved to the USA as a senior, I think he is ready to do what it takes to get what he wants. Ultimately being an NFL QB is gteayer than a CFL MOP. At least the Lions can enjoy his skill set until that next level calls.
Entertainment value = an all time low