Lions at Redblacks June 30, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:57 pm
They should do much better David. 3-0 instead of 1-0. The club is proving to be playing the most exciting football by any team in recent memory. Rourke is getting to be a known commodity. Bombers are a historically better draw. Could be a battle of the undefeated for 1st. And the 4pm start should enable folks from farther afield to bring their families without having to spend $300+ minimum for a hotel room. That 7 game ticket offer is really just an extension of the previous 8 game offer adjusted down for 1 less game. But at 3-0 it should look a heckuva lot more attractive. Hard to guess on the Jays factor. I only like to watch them when they're losing. But they do have impact. Where I sat in 241 from 2011-2016ish the two guys behind me never missed a game except for when the Jays were in Seattle.

I just want to see progress at the turnstiles. I want to see the graph trending upwards.
30k would be nice to see but maybe that's asking for too much at this point? Back in 2004, Casey Printers fever didn't really kick in until the fall as far as an uptick in attendance, from what I can recall. On the other hand, Doug Flutie's magical 1991 season started paying dividends in August.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:05 pm
We've seen the two extremes. I think we're going to see attendance closer to the 2nd game than the first, but something close to a 50% increase from the Argo game (to 20-21K) should be seen as a win (as the season ticket base is low). Baby steps.

DH :cool:
I hear you on those "baby steps" David and the low season ticket base means an uphill battle for every home game. It's terrific to see them offering a great deal for fans to commit to the rest of the season.
Of their next 3 home games, Saturday's is easily the most attractive match-up. Winless Hamilton is here next on a Thursday night (July 21) then the Elks return Aug. 6. Both not exactly great opponents for walk-up sales so hopefully the boys keep rolling and it's all about wanting to see this team live.

Whitecaps had 15,000 last Sunday and just over 18,000 last night, their 2nd largest crowd of the season. Loads of work for them to as well in this always tough sports town when it comes to loyal and consistent "paying" supporters. I can't imagine how much money Kerfoot has lost in recent years when you look at their payroll.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:17 am
David wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:05 pm
We've seen the two extremes. I think we're going to see attendance closer to the 2nd game than the first, but something close to a 50% increase from the Argo game (to 20-21K) should be seen as a win (as the season ticket base is low). Baby steps.

DH :cool:
I hear you on those "baby steps" David and the low season ticket base means an uphill battle for every home game. It's terrific to see them offering a great deal for fans to commit to the rest of the season.
Of their next 3 home games, Saturday's is easily the most attractive match-up. Winless Hamilton is here next on a Thursday night (July 21) then the Elks return Aug. 6. Both not exactly great opponents for walk-up sales so hopefully the boys keep rolling and it's all about wanting to see this team live.

Whitecaps had 15,000 last Sunday and just over 18,000 last night, their 2nd largest crowd of the season. Loads of work for them to as well in this always tough sports town when it comes to loyal and consistent "paying" supporters. I can't imagine how much money Kerfoot has lost in recent years when you look at their payroll.
I'm in agreement with David as well. Rome wasn't built in day and neither will be a rebuilt Lions fanbase. It will take seasons of steady improvement, not a handful of games. If they can rebound from the Argos turnout and get within 1K of 20K for the Bombers I'll take it. If they can keep trending upwards from there and wind up pushing 25K by the end of the year I'd class the season as wildly successful. Ba
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Amar Doman seems to understand the keys to rebuilding the fan base. Some things are out of his control but all signs are positive so far.

1. Get butts in the seats at any cost to witness the product and enjoy the stadium atmosphere.
2. Promote home games as major events.
3. Put an exciting, successful team on the field.
4. Convert casual fans into season ticket holders through enticing discounts.

I recall former team president Dennis Skulsky
insisting a decade ago that the Lions would never sell discounted tickets because that would devalue the product. Those days are long gone.