Lions vs. Argos June 25, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:41 pm

Passaglia and McCallum combined for over 600 GP as the lone kicker on the roster. I can't remember more than maybe twice that either got injured mid game. I remember Paris Jackson have to try a couple punts once and doing quite well. But you would pay somebody for the other 598 games to play Maytag repairman. It seems to me that in the extremely rare circumstance a kicker actually gets hurt it's when they try to be a hero getting in the way of a returner.
I recall McCallum getting injured and three different guys trying to punt: Paris, Lulay and forgot who else (Jarious?). Paris had the best result and ended up as the backup punter for the rest of his career. I can't remember if Bret Anderson was still around then or not, but I do remember him filling in as field goal kicker and doing well.

I think a team with an all-in-one kicker usually has to keep at least one other position player who can kick at least semi competently. And I remember Peter Muller and Neil Lumsden, not to mention our pal Wally, coming in as backup punters and being really good at it.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:07 am
OV:54-40 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:17 am
Hambone wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 am

So what your saying is the only thing dumber than dressing one tailback for the whole game is having belief that they can rely on a Canadian fullback to carry the mail if called upon for part of a game????
I pretty well guarantee that if another tailback was dressed, that Mackie would have continued to have zero carries in his CFL career - wouldn't have found out he can run like a truck; but what if it was a close game and then Mackie gets hurt as well ? And if they believed the guy was so "capable" why did he have zero career CFL carries going into the game ?
Like others before him such as Rollie Lumbala he had zero career carries because for roughly the past 15 years BC always followed your recommendaton and dressed a second tailback who was their change of pace TB, backup TB and primary kick returner. Remember Chris Rainey, Brandon Rutley, Tim Brown, Ian Smart and Stefan Logan?
If you want to believe that's the only reason, have at 'er. I'd say there are other factors - like no use/respect for a 2nd back or big power back; just like CFL OCs now are clueless about what a tight end can bring.

The Lions have had a dual back attack before of course - like Philpot & Millington or Drummond & Millington. A 250 pound back like Mackie with some quick feet it seems, is a huge load and a change of pace to hit Ds used to smaller, quicker backs; my guess is the coaching staff had basically zero knowledge or faith the guy could run like a Mack Truck, and that's why he had zero carries before; now that they've seen that ability & power, we'll see if they try to deploy it down the road. An OC with lots up his sleeve and who likes some diversity on O will try lots of different things. Mykismic might be that kind of OC or evolve to one anyways - Mackie had 2 pass receptions prior to the injury to Butler - Rourke spread the ball around to all receivers = a good sign of diversity IMO.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:49 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:41 pm

Passaglia and McCallum combined for over 600 GP as the lone kicker on the roster. I can't remember more than maybe twice that either got injured mid game. I remember Paris Jackson have to try a couple punts once and doing quite well. But you would pay somebody for the other 598 games to play Maytag repairman. It seems to me that in the extremely rare circumstance a kicker actually gets hurt it's when they try to be a hero getting in the way of a returner.
I recall McCallum getting injured and three different guys trying to punt: Paris, Lulay and forgot who else (Jarious?). Paris had the best result and ended up as the backup punter for the rest of his career. I can't remember if Bret Anderson was still around then or not, but I do remember him filling in as field goal kicker and doing well.

I think a team with an all-in-one kicker usually has to keep at least one other position player who can kick at least semi competently. And I remember Peter Muller and Neil Lumsden, not to mention our pal Wally, coming in as backup punters and being really good at it.
Anderson did play the backup kicker role at times. I thought he handled quite a few KOs but his career stats show only 4. In 2007 he attempted 2 FGs and 4 converts, the only ones of his career. He made them all. He recorded 5 punts between 1997 and 2006 with a career high of 2 in 2002 when he had to chip in for Tony Martino. BC had 2 kickers then with Matt Kellett handling placekicking and Martino punting.

Wally did a lot of punting for Montreal. Sometimes he was back up to Sonny Wade. For a couple of years he was the guy. He recorded 525 career punts. "Lumpy" only had a few cameo kicking appearances. According to Statscrew Muller only recorded 1 career punt for 12 yards.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mackie was getting more carries and receptions than usual in training camp this year. I think the roster configuration shows the confidence that the coaching staff had in him to fill in for Butler if necessary. The Lions don't have the luxury of carrying a backup American RB/kick returner while starting four American WRs and three American OLs, and none of the RBs who tried out for the job in training camp did anything to convince the coaches to change the ratio.

It would be nice to have Wayne Moore on the roster as a proven national special teamer who can play RB and FB and to keep Mackie as a blocking back and TE, but Moore didn't attend camp and the Lions released national RB Jamel Lyles, so Mackie is their best option as a backup. His play on Saturday probably exceeded most people's expectations.

I expect to see Bruce Anderson or Brian Hill activated from the practice roster this week if Butler can't go. I have no problem with leaving Mackie as a national backup.
OV:54-40
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:56 pm
Mackie was getting more carries and receptions than usual in training camp this year. I think the roster configuration shows the confidence that the coaching staff had in him to fill in for Butler if necessary. The Lions don't have the luxury of carrying a backup American RB/kick returner while starting four American WRs and three American OLs, and none of the RBs who tried out for the job in training camp did anything to convince the coaches to change the ratio.

It would be nice to have Wayne Moore on the roster as a proven national special teamer who can play RB and FB and to keep Mackie as a blocking back and TE, but Moore didn't attend camp and the Lions released national RB Jamel Lyles, so Mackie is their best option as a backup. His play on Saturday probably exceeded most people's expectations.

I expect to see Bruce Anderson or Brian Hill activated from the practice roster this week if Butler can't go. I have no problem with leaving Mackie as a national backup.
I'm sure the coaching staff had some confidence in Mackie as an emergency fill-in for Butler in a game; probably thought he could be competent to plod ahead for a 2 yard gainer to pick up a first down maybe or help run the clock with a lead, plus still be a strong blocker in pass pro. I doubt they had any notion though he could go off like that for 10+ yard gainers or move the pile with power. Now that he has clearly demonstrated that, we'll see if he is rewarded with more work with the ball. And I'd still want a 2nd tailback dressed in case the starter is injured and then you would have the option of using both the 2nd back and a big fullback, where need be.

And the Lions could easily carry a back-up import RB/ kick returner, IMO.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions’ injury update from Farhan Lalji:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am not a fan of Bo Lokombo playing with less than week since being knocked unconscious (brief as it might have been, that is what has been reported).

I am a retired Occupational First Aid Attendant and it was standard practice in logging, for anyone getting a concussion, to get a full week off work if no light duty work was available. Brain injuries are cumulative and exposure to the chance of another blow to the head without getting a chance for some healing is a risk not worth taking, imo.
Ravi
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:18 pm
I am not a fan of Bo Lokombo playing with less than week since being knocked unconscious (brief as it might have been, that is what has been reported).

I am a retired Occupational First Aid Attendant and it was standard practice in logging, for anyone getting a concussion, to get a full week off work if no light duty work was available. Brain injuries are cumulative and exposure to the chance of another blow to the head without getting a chance for some healing is a risk not worth taking, imo.
Agreed. It should be a no-brainer, pardon the pun, that Lokombo gets the week off this week.
David
Team Captain

As for the attendance (14,006). Yes, that was disappointing. Factors were the first really sunny, hot weekend of the year (that doesn't draw people indoors), the sold-out Bill Burr concert across the street at the same time, and that the Argos are just not a big draw here. The crowd was loud, but a bit of a let-down after the promising Week 1 gate.

I also believe the club perhaps wanted to gauge where their ceiling and floor are, with an event, hype, and promotion and without. I actually believe they could have sold more tickets against the Elks once it became "the" thing to do (lack of adequate BC Place staffing levels prevented it), but I also think they gave away a ton of tickets (to minor football, hospitals, unions etc.) to get the machine rolling. Not certain of that, more gut feeling.

The Argo game was more reminiscent of 2021. Didn't seem to get a lot of hype (I don't want to say 'none,' that wouldn't be anywhere near accurate as they have a SM presence, but the lead-in felt more like 2021). I read a lot of comments on Monday from people on Donnie Taylor's tweet saying they didn't even know there was a game last Saturday.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I do wonder David if going straight from that Edmonton performance into a bye didn't also hurt them. Having the big win in Week 1 was great but how much momentum was immediately lost with 2 weeks of nothing in between.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:31 pm
I do wonder David if going straight from that Edmonton performance into a bye didn't also hurt them. Having the big win in Week 1 was great but how much momentum was immediately lost with 2 weeks of nothing in between.
The bye probably hurt in as much as they were 'out of sight, out of mind.' Ideally, they would have played on the road in Week 2 and won big, then come home to play in Week 3.

If they had played at home in Week 2 (and gone on the road for Week 3), there is not enough distance for the paying customer. Historically, we have seen this when the Leos play consecutive home games. The second week's gate is affected. So you could say that, although the club fell out of the news cycle, they did have an extra week to sell the Argo game.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Things won't turn around immediately but if the Lions can pull out a win today, I expect that the momentum will start to build big time. 1 win is just a coin flip, 2 wins maybe a sign of something, 3 wins in a row will really start something. Now I am a realist about this game coming up. A lot of factors against them tonight but pull this one off and good things will happen with crowds.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Another aspect we've may been unable to reconcile yet is the Covid hangover and how it's impacting spectator sports; CFL and otherwise. There is no doubt a contingent of folks who are still reluctant to be part of mass gatherings. Covid also encourged/forced many people to explore other uses for their spare time and disposable income. I thought with the impact on the job market particularly in 2020 the market would be awash with "toys" like boats, campers, travel trailers and RVs at bargain prices. Instead the opposite happened with sales going through the roof for new and used. With people unable to get out of the country they bought the means to bring the country to them.

Canada's MLS teams might be shedding some light on that as they are all already 8 home dates in. Season-to-date from the last pre-Covid season of 2019 TFC is down 6%, Whitecaps are down 16.8% and Montreal is down 18.4%. A 16.8% decline applied to the Lions 2019 average would have them around 14500.

EDIT: Over on RF they are having kittens as according to some posters it looks like about 1/3 if the seats for Saturday's rematch vs Montreal are unsold on Ticketmaster.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:18 am
The bye probably hurt in as much as they were 'out of sight, out of mind.' Ideally, they would have played on the road in Week 2 and won big, then come home to play in Week 3.
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:36 am
Things won't turn around immediately but if the Lions can pull out a win today, I expect that the momentum will start to build big time. 1 win is just a coin flip, 2 wins maybe a sign of something, 3 wins in a row will really start something.
Historically, the Lions have went 3-0 to start off the season but eventually choked later on in that season.

1987 - Four straight wins to start off the season, but then went 1-3 for the next four games. And after 3 straight wins the team looked invincible but suddenly 3 more sudden huge loses costed head coach Don Matthews his job.

1994 - In this GC season, the Lions started of 3-0 but sent 3-5 to finish off the season for a third place finish in the west. Fortunately, the team had three straight outings in the playoff.

1995 - Defending the GC, the Lions went 3-0 to start but went 3-7 to finish off the season for another third place finish and this time their momentum was not on their side for the playoffs.

1999 - Started off 3-0 and managed build a decent 13-5 season to finish first in the west for the first time since 1987, but came short in the WDF.

2005 - Best example of a massive choke with the team going 11-0, but then went 1-6 to finish off the season and despite finishing first and hosting the WDF, choked again in the playoff game.

2007 - Defending their GC, team started off 5-0 and also finished strongly as well by going 8-0, but unfortunately still choked in the WDF.

Of the 10 Lions GC appearances, only two seasons did the Lions start off with a 3-0 record in 1963 and 1985.

And in the last 4 Lions GC appearances, the team started off very weak and slow:

2000 - started 2-4
2004 - started 1-3
2006 - started 2-3
2011 - started off at 0-5 and by the time the team was at 1-6 I'm sure most fans gave up on the team by then.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。