2022 CFL Week 20

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:55 pm
Wonder how secure is Lapolice and Steinhauer's jobs ?
I'm not sure about Steinhauer, but Lapolice should be secure as Ottawa is in a huge rebuilding year, were very aggressive in free agency, but shouldn't expect instant results.
maxlion
Legend

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:32 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:46 am
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:04 pm

Yet again
What's your definition of balance? 55/45 Pass? 65/35 Pass?

Last night Winnipeg was 70/30 Pass until their last 2 possessions with 5 minutes left to go when they ran the ball 7 times to 2 pass plays to kill as much clock as possible.
Just a stat/info that can be ignored or discounted.

EVERY single game this season - the offence that has ended up deferring to or going with more pass play calls as a percentage of play calling, has LOST. Take that info any way you like.
Okay, I'll bite. I haven't done any in depth analysis, but here's what I think happens.

Both teams try to establish the run game early. If the run game is going well, this gives the team an advantage. If it isn't going well, the team will likely turn more to the pass. Having a successful running game often results in getting a lead. When you have a lead, you want to run out the clock and protect the ball so you run more. When you are behind, you need to gain yards and stop the clock, so you pass more. So having a good run game leads to getting a lead which leads to running more. When the run falters, the team is likely to fall behind and pass more.

At the end of the day, winning is not due to calling an equal number of run and pass plays. It's due to being successful at the run and/or the pass, and then using the run to protect the lead. Losing is due to being unsuccessful at the run and/or the pass and having to pass more in order to catch up.

If it were as simple as you imply, then every team would simply call an equal number of run and pass plays each game and all teams would go 18-0 and win the grey cup every year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:58 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:55 pm
Wonder how secure is Lapolice and Steinhauer's jobs ?
I'm not sure about Steinhauer, but Lapolice should be secure as Ottawa is in a huge rebuilding year, were very aggressive in free agency, but shouldn't expect instant results.
Steinauer also is the Ticats' President of Football Operations in addition to being Head Coach. He'd have to fire himself or "Caretaker" Bob Young would have to do it.

Being badly outscored in the second half and turnovers are killing Hamilton. They've been outscored 60-19 in the 4th. Going into last night they had a -5 turnover ratio with Evans tossing 6 picks and fumbling 4 times, losing 3 of them. He added 2 more picks and 1 lost fumble last night. 6 of the 8 picks and 2 of the 4 lost fumbles came in the second half. You cannot win with the QB coughing up the ball in one way or another 3 times per game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I thought the TiCats went with Evans over Masoli because Evans was the more accurate passer. Neither are very doing well this year but overall, I think Masoli is more mobile and gives a team more of a chance to win.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:28 am
I thought the TiCats went with Evans over Masoli because Evans was the more accurate passer. Neither are very doing well this year but overall, I think Masoli is more mobile and gives a team more of a chance to win.
Hamilton's season may have been summed up on that one play late in the game when they were trying to make the comeback. Evans made a good throw over the middle for what could have been a significant 15 + YAC gain. Only problem was there were two Ticat receivers both crossing over the middle from opposite directions. They and the ball all collided at the same time with the ball falling harmlessly to the turf. They'd likely have been 1st and 10 around midfield with about 1:25 to go but instead were 2nd and 10 from their 34. They did move the ball to the EE 29 before the drive fizzled out.
OV:54-40
Starter

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:48 am
The team that has shown closest to balance on offence (percentage of run play calls vs. pass plays) has WON EVERY game so far this season; the team that has shown more favortism to pass plays has LOST every game so far this season.

Note to CFL HCs & OCs. :roll:

Ok, nevermind :rotf:

And again, and again ... :rotf:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Montreal couldn’t stop Saskatchewan’s short passes to the flat in the second half, blowing a halftime lead and giving up 21 points in the third quarter en route to a 41-20 defeat. The game was marred by 27 penalties for 260 yards and an ejection of Montreal DL Michael Wakefield.
OV:54-40
Starter

The Als O-line was terrible; Callender at OT is weak to useless; they need to fix that.

The Als D is also pretty lightweight and not tough enough; no consistent pass rush; and their safety Dequoy may have great speed/range but he cannot tackle or hit - not good in a safety. They need changes there too IMO.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What was Craig Dickenson's thinking of trying an onside kick off a field goal formation when they're leading by 19 points ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:00 pm
What was Craig Dickenson's thinking of trying an onside kick off a field goal formation when they're leading by 19 points ?
Better to do a risky low percentage/high reward play when you have a comfortable lead....I guess.

And it does put future opponents on notice to spend time preparing for that trick play.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

If Khari Jones is going to keep sticking with the 35-year-old and & immobile Trevor Harris as his starter over Vernon Adams then his days in Montreal could be numbered.

Riders have a good pass rush but there's not much else that concerns me about them, especially Fajardo's passing ability. I guess we will learn a whole lot more with BC playing Saskatchewan 3 times before the end of August including twice at Mosiac.

Eastern teams now an abysmal 1-10 in interlock games so far this season. Definitely some close games but it's a bad look for a 9-team league and will hurt the interest level of those all-Eastern match-ups outside of their own markets.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:01 am
If Khari Jones is going to keep sticking with the 35-year-old and & immobile Trevor Harris as his starter over Vernon Adams then his days in Montreal could be numbered.

Riders have a good pass rush but there's not much else that concerns me about them, especially Fajardo's passing ability. I guess we will learn a whole lot more with BC playing Saskatchewan 3 times before the end of August including twice at Mosiac.

Eastern teams now an abysmal 1-10 in interlock games so far this season. Definitely some close games but it's a bad look for a 9-team league and will hurt the interest level of those all-Eastern match-ups outside of their own markets.
I'd be shocked if Montreal doesn't start Adams next game.

East being 1-10 is something I didn't see coming. I thought entering the season there were no real easy spots on the bingo card there. And maybe there aren't. 5 of those losses have been by 4 or less. Who could have foreseen Hamilton blowing big leads in the manner they have? Ottawa gave Winnipeg all they could handle and easily could have come away with the split or maybe 2 wins if not for some unforced errors at the wrong times. East clubs have far more talent than their records indicate. They just need to stop shooting themselves in the cleat multiple times each game.

6 of those 11 interlocking games have been played out West. The 4 blowouts were all road games where they lost by 3, 2, 17, 14, 41 & 21. Playing at home vs the West the East is 1-4 losing by margins of 7, 3, 3 & 4.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Awful start for the Argus at home against Winnipeg on Monday night. Brandon Banks dropped a wide-open wide-side out that would have given them a first down. They came back with the same route on second down and Winston Rose jumped it for a 46-yard Pick-6. It’s common in football to target the same receiver after a drop but not on the same route.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

And it continues. Bethel-Thompson dropped a snap on the next Argo possession, picked it up and threw a lame duck interception to Nick Taylor on the same sideline where Rose grabbed his Pick-6.

Winnipeg cashes in on the turnover with a Drew Wolitaraky TD catch. Two early interceptions, 14-0 Winnipeg.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Argos stopped the bleeding after INTs, 2 MBT fumbles and a turnover on downs. 17-3 Winnipeg at the half. The 14 Winnipeg points off turnovers are the difference.