Season opener: Lions vs. Elks June 11, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Breaux being 6-gamed is a big hit. That means we won’t be seeing 3 key free agent signing until late July at the earliest.
And help me BC FAN. Isn’t dressing just one back-up offensive lineman and a whopping 5 on the d-line out of whack and leaving the Lions vulnerable?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:04 am
Starting 2 rookies in the secondary with zero or little experience in Canadian ball is very risky/ worrisome IMO; maybe a good pass rush helps lots though, and they might be able to tee off on an Esk offence that is not a very experienced unit and probably won't counter with much run game.

Be interesting to also see how much run game the Lions go with to help the young QB, or if Rourke is turned loose to use his outstanding running ability often ?
Not unprecedented though. BC went with 2 rookies in the secondary last year and they didn't even get the benefit of preseason action. Mauger has looked very good at safety in camp and preseason with 2 picks and a forced fumble in his reps. Cooper isn't totally devoid of experience. Of his 5 games with the Bombers in 2018 2 were as backup FHB and 3 were starts as FCB.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:07 am
Breaux being 6-gamed is a big hit. That means we won’t be seeing 3 key free agent signing until late July at the earliest.
And help me BC FAN. Isn’t dressing just one back-up offensive lineman and a whopping 5 on the d-line out of whack and leaving the Lions vulnerable?
Yes, the Lions have traditionally dressed two backup O-linemen. For the past few years, it was usually Knevel and Peirson but I can’t recell Peirson getting on the field at all last year. Peirson has been taking reps at centre and guard this year. I would expect him to sub into one of those positions if necessary, and Phil Norman would slide out to tackle if either Figueroa or Perkins went down. If two OL go down in one game, I have no idea who would fill in but it probably wouldn’t be pretty.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:46 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Yes, the Lions have traditionally dressed two backup O-linemen. For the past few years, it was usually Knevel and Peirson but I can’t recell Peirson getting on the field at all last year. Peirson has been taking reps at centre and guard this year. I would expect him to sub into one of those positions if necessary, and Phil Norman would slide out to tackle if either Figueroa or Perkins went down. If two OL go down in one game, I have no idea who would fill in but it probably wouldn’t be pretty.
This is an absurdly high risk. Broxton should be activated to back up Fig who's an injury waiting to happen, IMHO (he went down in a heap last Friday, by the way). Norman would take his place and Peirson would play guard but sheesh this is dicey.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:20 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:46 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
This is an absurdly high risk. Broxton should be activated to back up Fig who's an injury waiting to happen, IMHO (he went down in a heap last Friday, by the way). Norman would take his place and Peirson would play guard but sheesh this is dicey.

When Broxton played LT in preseason, I thought he did a credible job of impersonating a Matador.
Clash Dance
Rookie

Edmonton also looks like they are only dressing 1 backup OL. If either team gets 2 OL injured, does the Leaf's zamboni driver get to play? 🤣🤣🤣
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Just walked down Beatty past Robson. Set up for the Backyard Block Party is well under way.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Easy to say they should dress Broxton but if they did who would sit? 17 of their 20 non-QB Americans are starters. The 3 non-starters are Flintoft, Awe and Gwachum's back up Tuehema. They'd have to sit one of them or sit a starter and replace him with a Canadian.

What scares me most about dressing 6 OL isn't that they have only 1 backup but rather that Peirson is that backup.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Clash Dance wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:17 pm
Edmonton also looks like they are only dressing 1 backup OL. If either team gets 2 OL injured, does the Leaf's zamboni driver get to play? 🤣🤣🤣
I've seen all 8 depth charts for Week 1. Only Montreal and Hamilton list 7 OL. The other 6 teams are going with 6.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Any of those D line backups ever play O?
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:56 pm
Clash Dance wrote:
I've seen all 8 depth charts for Week 1. Only Montreal and Hamilton list 7 OL. The other 6 teams are going with 6.
Dumb as a plank roster management IMO; never want to see players get injured, but having only one back-up O-Lineman at a 5 man position group is moronic IMO, and we have seen at least 2 O-linemen go out of games with injury in plenty of CFL games.

Jonestown's EE D depth chart for this coming game is mighty interestin" IMO (if it is to be believied and not sure I do); raw rookies/ inexperience all over the place: a converted tight end at DE; rookies at both OLB spots (including a Canadian draft pick Appolon); another rookie at corner; Matt Elam - Jones' guy at safety with no experience there; Konar at MLB; and the 2 recent ex-Argo pick-ups (Collins - NFL experience & Decoud - looked good mostly for the Argos last season) starting in the secondary. What a totally lack of experience playing together group. Love to see Rourke and Lions O shred them, and see what ego-Jones has to say afterwards; but then again, he's a defensive genius to some, so maybe they will just dominate.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm
Any of those D line backups ever play O?
Hard to guess but I'm thinking one of them has been taking a few reps this week.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:50 pm
Hambone wrote:
Clash Dance wrote:
Dumb as a plank roster management IMO; never want to see players get injured, but having only one back-up O-Lineman at a 5 man position group is moronic IMO, and we have seen at least 2 O-linemen go out of games with injury in plenty of CFL games.

Jonestown's EE D depth chart for this coming game is mighty interestin" IMO (if it is to be believied and not sure I do); raw rookies/ inexperience all over the place: a converted tight end at DE; rookies at both OLB spots (including a Canadian draft pick Appolon); another rookie at corner; Matt Elam - Jones' guy at safety with no experience there; Konar at MLB; and the 2 recent ex-Argo pick-ups (Collins - NFL experience & Decoud - looked good mostly for the Argos last season) starting in the secondary. What a totally lack of experience playing together group. Love to see Rourke and Lions O shred them, and see what ego-Jones has to say afterwards; but then again, he's a defensive genius to some, so maybe they will just dominate.
After looking at the EE depth chart on D, I was thinking they are going to have to win based on Jones' scheme and play calling and not so much on experience and talent.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:57 pm
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:50 pm
Hambone wrote:

After looking at the EE depth chart on D, I was thinking they are going to have to win based on Jones' scheme and play calling and not so much on experience and talent.
That's the ticket: a genius mad scientist has a bunch of super "athletes" flying around making plays all over at his amazing bidding. We shall see.
Ravi
Legend

David wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:28 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:49 pm
Apparently 5000 seats have been sold in upper deck already with more sections opening up.
At $20 & $10 for 17 and under they are exceptional value. Clearly Doman wants those seats to move as they were never priced that low when I sat up there for a number of years.
30,000 plus looking like a solid bet in what will be their biggest home game in years. No pressure Mr Rourke!
Sure is weird to hear the Leos as the talk of the town again. I was on the TransLink bus coming home from work last night. The guy (maybe 30?) sitting across from me took a call. He said to the person on the other end, "Saturday night? Can't. I'm going to the Lions game."

Just hope the club doesn't lay an egg like they historically have whenever the casuals come out en masse. But win or lose, this is still great to see. :thup:

Can Doman give Larry Tanenbaum a call and give him some much-needed advice?