CBA negotiations

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reg18
Starter

The xfl is a great game it has tobe to survive the idiots who run it
Reg18
Starter

Tampering with the national ratio that may take the c out of the xfl is beyond stupid igeel sorry for the lines new owner. First COVID and now the owners are going to spoil the season with their breed and their agressive approach at the bargaining table.
Reg18
Starter

My comment should have read greed notbreed.
Reg18
Starter

randy provides no leadership. Becomes across as a big goof in over his abilities. A stooge for the owners. When w need leadership we get this goofy guy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ambrosie has a tough job representing private, corporate and public owners with limited bankrolls. I like that he's open to new ideas while preserving the league's traditions and its core fan base. And I never listen to the rhetoric during CBA negotiations of any sort. I believe the league and players have a strong common interest in playing a full season and will not do anything to jeopardize that.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

So far it seems like a normal negotiation.

Union takes a strike vote which goes somewhere well north of 90% in favour. It has to. Anything less erodes the union's position.
One side, usually the employer's, finally makes a proposal they know will be rejected.
Other side rejects it and stomps up and down a bit before walking away.
A couple days later they get back together and start the game of back and forth counter-proposals.
Eventually an agreement comes out of it just in a nick of time.

Some wonder why the CFL and CFLPA wait so long. Pro sports is a different cat from normal union negotiations. The CFL CBA expires immediately before training camps open. It wouldn't matter if it expired on May 15th or January 15th. There would be no urgency to come to agreement until the start of training camp, if not the start of the regular season which is the real final drop dead date. Mainstream union labour agreements also have expiry dates that are often well in the rear view mirror before a deal is finally done but such businesses typically don't have a season do be started on time. They can usually continue business as usual with the bargaining unit being paid retroactively for the difference between old rates and new rates of pay.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:44 pm

Union takes a strike vote which goes somewhere well north of 90% in favour. It has to. Anything less erodes the union's position.
One side, usually the employer's, finally makes a proposal they know will be rejected.
A couple days later they get back together and start the game of back and forth counter-proposals.

Some wonder why the CFL and CFLPA wait so long. Pro sports is a different cat from normal union negotiations. The CFL CBA expires immediately before training camps open. It wouldn't matter if it expired on May 15th or January 15th. There would be no urgency to come to agreement until the start of training camp, if not the start of the regular season which is the real final drop dead date. Mainstream union labour agreements also have expiry dates that are often well in the rear view mirror before a deal is finally done but such businesses typically don't have a season do be started on time. They can usually continue business as usual with the bargaining unit being paid retroactively for the difference between old rates and new rates of pay.
Yes, we have certainly seen this script before. I would think the owners would be very happy to reduce the ratio to 6 and preferably I would like to see 3 each on offence and defence. That would stop the trend of stacking Americans on defence (Bombers start 11) and perhaps that would open up the game more.

Definitely want Canadians in the game and the owners can only blame themselves for driving up their salaries. Hervey's deal in 2019 for Sukh Chungh ($250,000) comes to mind, making an offensive guard the 2nd highest paid player on the team at the time.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:50 am
Hambone wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:44 pm

Yes, we have certainly seen this script before. I would think the owners would be very happy to reduce the ratio to 6 and preferably I would like to see 3 each on offence and defence. That would stop the trend of stacking Americans on defence (Bombers start 11) and perhaps that would open up the game more.

Definitely want Canadians in the game and the owners can only blame themselves for driving up their salaries. Hervey's deal in 2019 for Sukh Chungh ($250,000) comes to mind, making an offensive guard the 2nd highest paid player on the team at the time.
What was Hervey thinking? Chungh was a good run blocker, but his pass protection just wasn't as good as other guards in the league.
Reg18
Starter

I'm looking forward to a great season for the Lions. Everything looks positive but for the hardline Cha negotiations that has me worried. I am very sensitive to anything that could harm our league