2022 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There has been some CFL draft discussion in other threads but the topic probably deserves its own thread. The draft is scheduled for May 3 and the Lions have the third, 12th, 23rd, 29th, 32nd, 41st, 50th, 59th and 68th overall picks.

Canadian Football Perspective, a site run by respected CFL analysts Marshall Ferguson, Derek Taylor and others, ranked all the performers from the recent CFL combine and regional combines. They list Waterloo QB Tre Ford, McMaster DL/LB Enoch Penney-Laryea and Syracuse LB Tyrell Richards as the top performers. I can see all of them having value to the Lions as athletic depth players who can play special teams while developing their positional skills.

Philpot twins Jalen and Tyson from the University of Calgary, who have been highly touted as first-round picks with a local pedigree who can fill a void in the Lions' national receiving depth, received nearly identical rankings well down in the "average" category. I wonder if their testing scores have the Lions and others reconsidering their options.

OV:54-40
Starter

I guess it depends on if the team's scouts or decision makers are looking for "athletes" as much as accomplished football players - to me, the later is much more important than the former - trying to think of one single example of a guy who was an average type player in college ball, but a great Combine tester who went on to be a top notch CFL starter ? We'll see which CFL teams want to try to go after team positional needs - by using a top pick at a position of real need.

Won't be surprised to see Jones in EE land take Richards first overall - very athletic tester and maybe versatility to play LB or rush end (might be able to team with Adam Konar to have a National hold down the W-OLB job on their D).

Tre Ford is an accomplished QB as well as fast/athletic; CFL "thinking" might see him as some sort of project at another position; there's also supposedly quite a bit of NFL interest - and if he gets a call there, CFL teams might lay-off drafting him anywhere early.

Penny-Laryea I believe played rush end at Mac - at 5-11, 217 - doubt he will get to play any DE in the CFL (but you never know i guess?) - and put up some D stats, but hardly amongst tackle or sack leaders and not an OUA all-star DE; might be looked at as an athletic special teamer by CFL teams

Still think both Philpots will be gone by 1st or mid second round, even if their average type testing #s might have given some teams some pause; not like they were receiver "slow" - as Andy Fantuz or Brad Sinopoli were at Combine 40 timing, and I think they maybe did ok as CFL receivers ;o). Newly minted CFL 300 K$ (supposedly ?) receiver Kenny Lawler ran a 4.64 forty at his Pro Day before the NFL draft.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Philpots are going top 5 and I think the Lions will draft one of them. Outside of Cottoy, you guys basically have nothing at reciever. The scouts say they aren't burners, but run crisp routes.

Another option could be Tyrell Ford. You guys seem to give Hakeem Johnson, some starts last year. Maybe you stick with a Canadian at field CB.

I think one of the tackles could fall to you guys in the second round. Zack Fry would be my guess.

The third round maybe a WLB, to back up Lokombo? One of the MAC linebackers, maybe. Hladik will backup Williams at MLB.

It's also a deep defensive end draft. Knight, Cherry, Archibald, Frederico, Pickett, etc.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't think Lions will spend an early pick on one of the Philpots as they already have former Al and Redblack, Daniel Peterman that they signed as a FA and Jacob Scarfone another former Redblack who was a Lion backup WR last season. So, 2 experienced N at WR to back up Cottoy is probably plenty of N WR depth. Maybe the Lions pick a WR in a later round.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:53 am
I don't think Lions will spend an early pick on one of the Philpots as they already have former Al and Redblack, Daniel Peterman that they signed as a FA and Jacob Scarfone another former Redblack who was a Lion backup WR last season. So, 2 experienced N at WR to back up Cottoy is probably plenty of N WR depth. Maybe the Lions pick a WR in a later round.
If they're thinking 2022 only then yes those guys offer depth. I have no confidence that they will ever offer more than depth. Both are already now on their 3rd CFL stops. Petermann I'll cut some slack until I see what he can provide. As for Scarfone at times last year during his limited reps last year I wondered why he was still there. He finally came around with a couple nice plays late in the season but seemed lost prior to that. As 6 catches in 16 targets might indicate he struggled to get on the same page with Reilly. That's what I recalled from the missed targets; him cutting one way while the ball went another.

If they're thinking beyond 2022 then consideration for upgrades on NAT WR depth can't be overlooked. While Jevon Cottoy has been extended I don't think the NFL book has in any way been closed on him. He won't turn 26 until the day after Grey Cup. If he turns his undisputed status of a starter into the sort of season we all know he's entirely capable of he will again get serious NFL looks next January. Adding one of the Philpots now might be a prudent move in the event Cottoy finally lands that NFL opportunity. If he does land a deal it will likely happen after either 2022 or 2023.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Starter

Peterman was very good IMO when he got some (part-time or injury replacement) playing time with the Bombers; for some reason, he didn''t seem to fit in that useless Ottawa offence of last season, (and it was his former OC LaPo who brought him there); plus he might have got nicked and missed some games ? He ran the fastest CFL Combine 40 time before his draft if i recall right. I believe he easily has CFL starter or receiver rotation mix skills.

So with him, Scarfone & Hastings still around, and likely only one Canadian starter in the 5 pack (?) maybe not much need to use an early pick on one of the Philpots, and there are some other decent receivers prospects to be had in the later rounds likely.
David
Team Captain

I wonder if the Philpots stock will drop any? I don't think they really turned heads at the combine from what I was able to ascertain. Keep in mind, Lemar Durant dropped all the way down to the 2nd round of the 2015 CFL Draft (Calgary Stampeders with the 18th overall pick).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

David wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:08 pm
I wonder if the Philpots stock will drop any? I don't think they really turned heads at the combine from what I was able to ascertain. Keep in mind, Lemar Durant dropped all the way down to the 2nd round of the 2015 CFL Draft (Calgary Stampeders with the 18th overall pick).

The Philpots aren't known to be burners. What makes them good is that they run clean, crisp routes.
David
Team Captain

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:50 am
David wrote:

The Philpots aren't known to be burners. What makes them good is that they run clean, crisp routes.
Yea, I read that. If that's the case, I'm taking Jalen Philpot as he's a slot (where speed isn't necessarily as big of a factor as the wideout position). I believe Jalen is ranked slightly higher anyway.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Starter

Reading (on 3 Down) that last year's Lions' 1st rounder - DE Daniel Joseph - did not have an impressive set of test #s at his Pro Day down south = meaning his NFL draft stock may have dropped some = which could mean the Lions have a better chance of signing him? Could be in the mix with Menard & Betts at DE (could they carry 3 Nats at the position ?)

Also - NCAA receiver Sam Emilus did put up a quite impressive set of testing #s at his Pro Day; did not attend the CFL Combine ? More of a long-shot for an NFL look perhaps; i wonder if he might be the first receiver off the board this CFL draft - ahead of the Philpots - for a team looking receiver with a high pick ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

If I recall at the time of the 2015 CFL Draft there had been NFL interest in Durant which I think is why he fell to the end of the 2nd. He did get offered tryouts with NY Giants and Seattle before finally signing with Calgary. Going into the draft he was the top ranked receiver and #8 overall in the final pre-draft rankings. He wound up being the 4th receiver taken after Nic Demski, Jake Harty and Addison Richards who went 6, 10 & 11 respectively.
David
Team Captain

From CFL Insiders (anonymous quotes from GMs and execs around the league).
If I was B.C. I would take Tre Ford at third overall (in the 2022 CFL Draft). They’re already going all-Canadian at quarterback, so what’ve they got to lose? It’s not like there’s a day-one starter along the offensive line or a can’t-miss receiver in this draft.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:00 pm
If I was B.C. I would take Tre Ford at third overall (in the 2022 CFL Draft). They’re already going all-Canadian at quarterback, so what’ve they got to lose? It’s not like there’s a day-one starter along the offensive line or a can’t-miss receiver in this draft.

That makes a lot of sense. Ford’s running ability makes him much more like Nathan Rourke than Michael O’Connor, who is primarily a pocket passer. The LB/DL prospects that could be taken at No. 3 would all be backups to established Canadian starters. Why not take a player who can back up your most important Canadian starter?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:21 pm
David wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:00 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Ford’s running ability makes him much more like Nathan Rourke than Michael O’Connor, who is primarily a pocket passer. The LB/DL prospects that could be taken at No. 3 would all be backups to established Canadian starters. Why not take a player who can back up your most important Canadian starter?
There's always a risk with whomever is taken in the early stages of the CFL draft. IMO it would depend on what happens with Ford and the NFL and the fact he is a QB. That will be a bigger factor than anything else in determining his CFL draft stock. If he lands a UDFA deal down south then why burn 3rd overall when in all probability he will still be there come the 2nd round, maybe even into the 3rd.

It could be a conundrum for BC if he doesn't get signed down south and they draft him. When a team drafts any other position that high they can usually make a spot for them on their 46 man active roster. There are fewer options to stash a 3rd NAT QB. Putting a 3rd overall selection on the PR is ripe for being raided by another club. 6G IR makes no sense as more than anything he would need to be practicing and players on the 6G are not allowed to practice. I'm not even sure if they are allowed to attend meetings. That really leaves carrying him and the extra salary on the 1G IR. If there's any truth to the 3Down estimates of where teams stand for SMS commitments that would not be a problem given the expiring CBA's rules for contracts for drafted players. Nonetheless stashing any extra salary on the 1G can become an issue for a team running close to the cap.

For Ford, or any other CFL draft pick for that matter, the widening disparity between CFL and NFL wages means they really need to explore even lukewarm NFL interest to the fullest. Currently NFL PR pay for a full season = CDN$ 245K and NFL minimum rookie salary = CDN$ 885K. Max salaries for CFL rookies drafted in the first 2 rounds are CDN$ 72.5K (Y1) CDN $72.5K (Y2) and CDN $79K (Y3). Playtime bonuses of up to CDN$ 7.5K are possible if the player plays 50%+1 of the team's offensive or defensive reps. If a player doesn't become an instant starter such bonuses are unlikely to be reached.

While BC with all NAT QBs seems a logical spot the lack of experience with Rourke makes for wanting a backup with at least some CFL experience. Ford might be a better fit for club's with a veteran QB with years of starting experience under their belts. Should BC go down the path of drafting Ford the best thing that might happen is for him to wind up down south for a few years. Question there is will NFL clubs look at him as a QB or will they see if his elite athleticism translate to conversion to another position? He could very well be looked at by CFL clubs as a potential conversion project if anything to get him onto the active roster to buy time before switching him back to QB.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Back in the 60s with smaller CFL rosters, the backup QB played another position as well. I seem to remember in Hamilton, Joe Zuger being an ok starting DB when Bernie Faloney was the starting QB. Maybe the Lions draft Ford as a 3rd backup QB and on the 46 man roster as a backup receiver?