2022 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions grabbed another Canadian D-lineman in the third round, 23rd overall, Josh Archibald (6-3, 238) of McGill.

With their second pick of the third round, 29th overall, they took a similar sized linebacker, Ryder Varga (6-3, 225) of Regina.
OV:54-40
Starter

And now they get DE Riley Pickett (Sask. Huskies) - to go with Archibald this draft, and to go with Menard, Betts and maybe last year's pick D. Joseph ??? Maybe they plan to go all Canadian at DE ? = LOL; though both Archibald & Pickett are IMO outstanding young DE prospects.

Over-kill ?
Starter

And yet another DE - Eveillard (GGs) - converted receiver with some very nice Combine testing #s

Over/over - kill; the good ole CFL draft - always good for some whackiness or laughs.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions took a shot in the dark in Round 7, selecting Alabama WR John Metchie, who was drafted by Houston in the second round of the NFL draft last week.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I might have a better chance of winning the lottery than Metchie ending up here.
A wasted pick albeit in the 7th round but our only receiver drafted. So 4 d-linemen selected and throw in the #3 pick in the Global draft too.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions wrap up the draft the way they started, picking another DL, Adam Wallace of the Ottawa Gee-Gees, in the eighth round. I don’t understand why they would want to go into camp with 8 or 9 national DLs, but that would be a lot more interesting than last year when they carried a similar number of unproven American DLs.
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 pm
I might have a better chance of winning the lottery than Metchie ending up here.
A wasted pick albeit in the 7th round but our only receiver drafted. So 4 d-linemen selected and throw in the #3 pick in the Global draft too.
Make that 5 D-linemen picked - 3 DEs & 2 DTs.

Still, got some good prospects at other positions - a top O-Line prospect, and a near the top DB & LB in the class; I woulda went for a safety & receiver in the mix instead of so D-Line heavy. And could have got a top U Sport RB in Rasheed Tucker (Queens) in the later rounds.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

All the draft picks are big. Won't be pushed around.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:03 pm
The Lions wrap up the draft the way they started, picking another DL, Adam Wallace of the Ottawa Gee-Gees, in the eighth round. I don’t understand why they would want to go into camp with 8 or 9 national DLs, but that would be a lot more interesting than last year when they carried a similar number of unproven American DLs.
At best 3-4 picks will make the team, the rest are done, less if ratio changes happen in the cba. The key is (as Wally says) is to get at least 2.
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:33 am
Can the get Lions 2021 1st round pick Daniel Josesph (DL NC State) signed this week? No NFL offers or mini-camp invites yet. Time would tell if he is ready to contribute immediately as another national player on the DL joining Menard and Betts, potentially Hammond too.

Decent national LB depth with Hladik, free agent signee Kevin Francis and Guzylak-Messam backing up our 2 starters plus an apparent weak offensive line 2022 class suggests BC will go the receiver route tomorrow night with the #4 pick.

Listening to Ryan Rigmaiden with Matt Baker last week, it sounds like the Lions' first option going into camp will be Knevel to replace Steward at guard while the "option" remains to start 3 Americans, signalling out Phillip Norman. Will be interesting to see the TC depth chart.
I have a feeling daniels stock has fallen. Apparently he had a brutal pro day. I doubt he would be a first rounder if the draft was held again. Slow at 260. He can’t play rush end at cfl level, maybe gain weight and be a backup 3tech. But then can he play special teams. Look at cherry at worst he can still be a good special teamer because he has a good motor.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Well drafting d-lineman in the 1st round has been nothing short of a disaster for the Lions over the last decade. They have to get it right one of these years right? Might as well draft as many as possible and let the best two emerge behind Menard and Betts. I guess that's their theory.

Nathan Cherry 2022 (3rd overall)
Daniel Joseph 2021 (4th overall)
Julien Laurent 2018 (7th overall)
Junior Luke 2017 (7th overall)
Ese Mrabure-Aujfo 2015 (5th overall)
Jabar Westerman 2012 (2nd overall)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

In the absence of a need for a quarterback, I'm never going to begrudge the idea of throwing draft capital at improving line depth, particularly national line depth.

I don't even think the Metchie hail mary was a bad idea in Round 7.

No complaints here.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think too much is being made of the positions. Sure there's lots of DL in the mix but when one looks at the available analysis on these players it appears to me they were selected for ability to play special teams first and foremost while hopefully developing into something more over time. I don't think there's a Lionbacker anywhere who has been satisfied with BC's ST coverage over the past few years. What I see in the draft is Cherry and Zerr looked at as developing into at least rotational players fairly soon with the rest being longer term projects who might be able to help overhaul special teams coverage units very quickly. Archibald, Pickett and Eveilliard bring rush end size but combine numbers that point to potential to be ST mainstays for years like a Jason Aragki.

I don't mind the Metchie flyer but admit to being surprised anybody bothered much less BC. With nearly a round full of top prospects deferring to 2023 players taken in the 6th, 7th and 8th would more normally be drafted in the 7th, 8th or not at all.

B.C. Lions

1 (3) DL Nathan Cherry, Saskatchewan - 6'1-3/8 271 - bulked up to 271
2 (12) OL Noah Zerr, Saskatchewan - 6'7 330 - tackle at UofS but most likely to play guard due if he can't improve footwork and "slow feet"
3 (23) DL Joshua Archibald, McGill - 6'3 238 - Should be a strong contributor on special teams as a rookie with the potential to develop into a rotational pass rusher. (John Hodge)
3 (29) LB Ryder Varga, Regina - 6'3 225 - going back to school in 2022
4 (32) DB Adrian Greene, St. Mary’s - 6'1 185 - Greene will need time to develop but he’s got a high ceiling. John Hodge
5 (41) DL Riley Pickett, Saskatchewan - 6'4 245 - hard-nosed run defender who should make his living on special teams in the CFL John Hodge
6 (50) DL Frednick Eveilliard, Ottawa 6'4 212 - everything about him says special teamer - Posted solid testing numbers at six-foot-three and 223 pounds, which means he should be able to contribute on special teams right away. John Hodge
7 (59) REC John Metchie III, Alabama - 6' 195 - flyer on someone who is a long shot of long shots to ever see the light of the CFL but maybe no more of a long shot to play in the CFL than anybody else available.
8 (68) DL Adam Wallace, Ottawa 6'4 260 -- was this just taking someone for the sake of taking someone? Maybe someone Campbell was familiar with from watching the Gee Gees while coaching the REDBLACKS?

Longer range considerations:
While it looks like BC is intent on making a DL spot a NAT starting spot they don't necessarily have the long term depth for that. Menard is now the resident DL senior citizen turning 32 in July. It can't be assumed he is a lock to be a Lion long term. Internal development of a replacement should start today.

There is lots of scuttlebutt about possibly adjusting the ratio to mandate minimum 3 NAT starters on both sides of the ball. That could be part of the new CBA although it wouldn't be immediately implemented. It would be necessary to give teams at least 1 season to adjust their depth charts to accommodate that. While BC has the pieces to do that now they still need to improve their depth to be able to sustain that.

On the Global side while Gustav shows as still on the roster he supposedly has retired meaning the Brauns selection is to replace him mostly as a special teams contributor.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Starter

Be interesting to do a study of CFL draft history - to see if one team has ever drafted 5 D-linemen in the same draft; or, if a team has used more than 50% of their draft picks on a position group (say O-Line or receiver or D-backfield) before ?

Interesting; bordering on bizarre, IMO - especially with the off-season pick-ups of Menard & Betts, plus the possibility of signing Daniel Joseph - since it's not like there were zero highly rated prospects at other positions available when they were drafting more D-Line later.
Rammer
Team Captain

I can’t comprehend the DL selections. How often does one DL emerge in the draft year let alone down the road as a high level CFL player. So many late draft receivers come out of nowhere making an impact at the CFL level even starting behind the eight ball.

Fine drafting the best player in the first round but where is the thinking of the Lions on this draft. Eventually in spring trading you are likely to drop three of five DL. Better to have spread the love to other positions in case you get an additional keeper.

Oh well, TC or bust, best of luck to all TC invitees.
Entertainment value = an all time low