Training camp 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:16 am
I noticed that Shaq Cooper was released by Saskatchewan. I wonder if the Lions will bring him back for another stint as a backup RB/returner. They'd probably have to drop an American linebacker or defensive lineman to get him on the roster as a designated import. Or they could try to claim B.C. native Maleek Irons from Hamilton's practice roster.
I think for Cooper it's a case of been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Reading various comments on RF it appeared that Shaq Cooper was putting in the same level of play in camp and preseason that led to BC cutting him last year. That's to say meh. He got reps in both preseason games rushing for 8 yards on 5 carries while adding 1 catch for 7 and 3 KO returns for 77 (25.6 average). He wasn't called on to return any punts.

There seemed to be a good opportunity for Cooper in Saskatchewan as the starting tailback was not a position anybody had locked up coming into training camp. Closest was Jamal Morrow who returned kicks in 2021 and picked up a few reps (9 carries) backing up William Powell. Ironically the Riders released each and every one of the players who recorded punt and KO returns in the two preseason games, including Cooper. I'm unsure what the Riders might do but my gut says Morrow will wind up in the same role as last year being the Riders primary returner while backing up the starting tailback, this time rookie Frankie Hickson.

As for Irons that of course comes with the caveat he has to immediately be put on the active roster forcing them to cut another NAT from the 46 with the trickle down effect to the PR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:17 am
Clash Dance wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:37 am
Williams, Thomson will almost certainly go on 6 game. Zerr hasn't played yet, so another candidate to go on at least 1 game. Still 6 more?With the amount of American Tackles still on the roster, I wonder if Fig's injury is cause for concern?
Williams?

A thing to look at is the split of the 54 on the active roster as that will give a hint to where injuries and/or stashing might happen.

Currently it's 28 Americans including 2 QBs, 1 Global and 25 NATs including 2 QBs

Safe bets for now are:
6G - Richardson (A) & Thomson (A) and possibly Zerr (N)

Good possibilities:
1G - Figueroa (A), Knevel (N)

IF those turn out to be true they'd be down to:
25 Americans including 1 QB, 1 Global and 23 NATs including 2 QBs.

I still can't get a grasp on the ratio vis a vis how they count QBs and in the case of the Lions NAT QBs. Traditionally in recent years QBs were classed as QBs and separate from the allowable 20 Americans and 21 Nationals. At minimum I think if Stove, Thomson and Figs were to start Week 1 on an IR then 4 more positional Americans would have to develop a serious hangnail injury if they aren't actually dealing with a legit injury.
Makes sense to carry 50 fully paid players until September. You have limited opportunities to sign guys with nfl camps full.