Training camp 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:12 am
Apparently, Hoover failed his physical and never stepped on the field.

DH :cool:
I wonder if his release from Edmonton as their camp was about to open was also due to failed medical?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The B.C. defence dominated a spirited Monday double practice with several padded team sessions. Garry Peters, who had a pick-6 in an early-morning non-padded session which I missed, drew the biggest celebration of camp from his defensive teammates when he intercepted a Nathan Rourke pass intended for Keon Hatcher in the final padded team session. Jamie Harry drew a similar reaction moments later when he intercepted Michael O'Connor. The entire offence dropped to the ground and did push-ups at the end of practice.

James Butler again had a lot of success on the ground but the offence struggled to move the ball through the air all morning. Even Bryan Burnham had a couple of uncharacteristic drops. Second-team cornerback Josh Thornton was prominent, intercepting a Kevin Thomson pass in skelly and knocking down a deep pass from O'Connor. Jalon Edwards-Cooper knocked down a Rourke pass intended for Dominique Rhymes.

The offence still had a few moments. Thomson completed a deep corner route to Josh Pearson, and Jamarius Way made a nice catch on a deep out from O'Connor. Jevon Cottoy was more prominent than he has been, taking a couple of short checkdown passes and breaking into open space upfield.

The first-team offence remained unchanged. Kevin Thomson took most second-team reps at quarterback. On defence, David Menard and Mathieu Betts continued to share reps at defensive end, while Edwards-Cooper and Tyneil Edwards shared reps at halfback and Delvin Breaux and Hakeem Johnson both had reps on the corner.

Lucky Whitehead, Romeo McKnight and Sean Modster took reps as punt returners in a live session. Whitehead and McKnight both had big returns.

Rookie OL Noah Zerr was still noticeably limping but he did not have the walking boot or crutch that he used Sunday.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tuesday was a big day in Kamloops. Not only were players on the field as usual for a spirited padded practice despite having voted down the CBA, but the Lions broadcast team of Giulio Caravatta and Bob Marjanovich was on hand to watch and, most importantly, the grandstand gates at Hillside Stadium were unlocked for the first time this year. I don't know whether it was due to the unlocked gates or the late afternoon start time but there were a lot more fans on hand than usual. It can be pretty lonely sitting in the stands on days with 8:30 a.m. practices.

Newly signed rookie defensive tackle Miles Fox was on the field, wearing No. 99 and taking third-team reps, which means he didn't get on the field much. The Lions are still five deep on the defensive line, and the first-teamers take at least a third of the reps, leaving few for others.

On offence, Josh Pearson took first-team reps at wide receiver in place of Lucky Whitehead, who was on the field but didn't participate. Peter Godber took his turn at centre. Darius Clark took second-team reps at running back., where he is battling Bruce Anderson for a possible roster spot as a running-back and kick returner.

Michael O'Connor took all second-team reps at quarterback, where he has been alternating with Kevin Thomson but Thomson looked better on the day. Thomson hit Micah Simon on a deep post pattern in tight coverage in team play, drawing a big ovation from the several dozen spectators in the stands. He also threw a TD pass to Zachary Parker in the red zone. O'Connor was intercepted in the end zone by Manny Rugamba, who celebrated by running the ball out and punting it toward the sideline.

On defence, Hakeem Johnson again took first-team reps at cornerback. He's taken a lot more reps at the position than veteran Delvin Breaux so far in camp. Jalon Edwards-Cooper took first-team reps at halfback, where he's battling with Tyneil Cooper. Mathieu Betts and David Menard shared first-team reps at defensive end.

The Lions also showed a 3-4 look for some reps, with Micah Awe joining the first unit as an inside linebacker alongside Jordan Williams, with DT Tim Bonner subbing out.

Some effects of the narrowed hashmarks this year are already evident. The Lions have not been flopping their cornerbacks from side to side. Garry Peters usually lines up on the left corner and Johnson or Breaux on the right corner, no matter where the ball is placed. At linebacker, though, Bo Lokombo is still lining up on the weak side and Loucheiz Purifoy on the strong side.

The effects of the narrowed hashmarks can also be seen on offence. Lucky Whitehead or his replacement will often line up as the wideout on the wide side of the field farthest from the quarterback and where he is more likely to get man coverage. Johnson hasn't fared well in that matchup in camp.

This was a single two-hour practice and not a back-to-back session but it still featured a lot of team play and an extended red-zone session.

Bryan Burnham made a couple of big catches from Nathan Rourke, including a deep corner route and a red-zone TD down the right sideline, both against Marcus Sayles.

Rourke also ran for a TD in red-zone. With a mobile quarterback, the Lions are using a lot more rollouts than in the past, especially in the red zone. Rourke and Thomson are both threats with their feet as well as their arms. Rourke's rushing touchdown was scored by simply outrunning the defenders to the corner.

But despite two TDs led by Rourke and one by Thomson, the defence had the upper hand in the red-zone session. Edwards-Cooper had a key knockdown of a pass intended for Burnham, Purifoy knocked down a pass intended for Dominique Rhymes and Rourke missed an open Pearson in the end zone on a rollout. The practice ended the same way as it did on Monday, with the entire offence doing pushups.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Playing lots of 3-4 D that gets Awe on the field might be a solution to D line woes.

The additions of Purifoy and Breaux (assuming he has still got it), and with TJ Lee at Free Safety this could make the Lions the top DB group in the CFL.

Menard/Betts could give the Lions the needed pass rush.

And coached by (possible) future HoFer, Ryan Phillips, this D could be the best the Lions have fielded in quite some time.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Fantastic breakdown on Tuesday’s practice as always BC FAN. Interesting to hear Breaux’s limited reps on the corner. Is this part of the transition having not played since 2019?
The fact it’s Hakeem Johnson getting the other reps suggests it may also have something to do with building up the workload for a national who may find himself on the field at any moment.

But yes Dano suggesting “does he still have it” has me wondering too for a 32 year old that has made a surprise return to the game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:15 am
Fantastic breakdown on Tuesday’s practice as always BC FAN. Interesting to hear Breaux’s limited reps on the corner. Is this part of the transition having not played since 2019?
The fact it’s Hakeem Johnson getting the other reps suggests it may also have something to do with building up the workload for a national who may find himself on the field at any moment.

But yes Dano suggesting “does he still have it” has me wondering too for a 32 year old that has made a surprise return to the game.
Hopefully it's a workload management thing. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about Hakeem Johnson starting.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:45 am
Hopefully it's a workload management thing. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about Hakeem Johnson starting.
I thought he got exposed several times last year so yes, you're not wrong to have reservations. However, he's still a young guy gaining experience at the position. It's possible that they want to see as much as they can to determine what they have in Johnson before deciding on his future (as Breaux is a known commodity). Jamie Harry looks like he's making his presence known in the secondary so there's that.

Either way, I am not concerned about Johnson getting a lot of training camp reps. We have enough talent and depth in the secondary that we can move the chess pieces around. It's more the push up front that I am curious about for Saturday's preseason game against the Stamps.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:05 am
Either way, I am not concerned about Johnson getting a lot of training camp reps. We have enough talent and depth in the secondary that we can move the chess pieces around. It's more the push up front that I am curious about for Saturday's preseason game against the Stamps.

Yes, the D-line again appears to be the team's biggest weakness. After six days of practice, I've yet to see the front four generate any pressure on the quarterback. With the strength of the secondary, the quarterbacks have been holding the ball an extraordinarily long time to try to find an open receiver. The first team defence has also been ineffective at stopping the run. Despite all the talent elsewhere on this team, the D-line could again be the Lions' downfall.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

I think there is no chance of that in game (unless injuries) … with rourke starting,3 Canadian starters already on defence, plus looks like the ratio is going to 6. Plus our American depth at db might be our strongest position.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Qman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:38 pm
Hambone wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

I think there is no chance of that in game (unless injuries) … with rourke starting,3 Canadian starters already on defence, plus looks like the ratio is going to 6. Plus our American depth at db might be our strongest position.
It may go to sixth, but it is not a given. Plus the seventh doesn't have to be an American, it only give the option of playing one.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

David wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:05 am
Hambone wrote:
I thought he got exposed several times last year so yes, you're not wrong to have reservations. However, he's still a young guy gaining experience at the position. It's possible that they want to see as much as they can to determine what they have in Johnson before deciding on his future (as Breaux is a known commodity). Jamie Harry looks like he's making his presence known in the secondary so there's that.

Go back and watch the tape again. No more exposed than another DB.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions held a double practice Wednesday on a sunny but windy 23-degree afternoon in Kamloops. The wind was the story of the day, affecting kickers, returners, quarterbacks and receivers and may have been a factor in the decision to end practice 45 minutes early. It also likely contributed to the fact that there were no big plays by either the offence or defence. It was so windy that team president Rick LeLacheur and his wife came down from the press box to retrieve and secure several sideline advertising billboards that flew away.

On offence, Lucky Whitehead was back at his usual wideout position after sitting out Tuesday but left tackle Joel Figueroa sat out Wednesday and was replaced by Jarell Broxton. Left guard David Knevel practised with a brace on his right shoulder. He had an icepack on the shoulder Saturday after Fan Fest practice but he hasn't missed any practice time. Phil Norman took his turn as first-team centre, where he has alternated with Peter Godber.

Kevin Thomson took second-team reps at quarterback, where he has alternated with Michael O'Connor. Similarly, Bruce Anderson took second-team reps at running back, where he is competing with Darius Clark.

The defensive secondary was significantly depleted. Veteran cornerback Delvin Breaux, who has been a limited participant in camp, was nowhere in sight Wednesday. Cornerback Josh Thornton and halfback Jalon Edwards-Cooper sat out and did light work on the sidelines with rookie receiver Alexander Hollins.

With two cornerbacks out of the lineup, Hakeem Johnson took all first, second and third team reps at right cornerback. Tyneil Cooper stepped up to take first-team reps at halfback, where he has challenged Edwards-Cooper for playing time. Mathieu Betts and David Menard again split first-team reps at defensive end.

I don't know whether it was due to the wind or was just a scheduling coincidence, but team sessions focused heavily on the run game and short-yardage offence. Even fullback David Mackie got a few rare carries.

The defence also continued to work on 3-4 packages, focusing on blitzes from the linebacker position. Micah Awe again got reps as an inside 'backer in a 3-4, this time with nose tackle Josh Banks on the sideline. Kevin Francis had the defensive highlight of the day in team play, blitzing form a 3-4 inside linebacker spot and knocking down a Nathan Rourke pass in the backfield. The linebackers have been the only players to get any pressure on the QB in camp.
Pistrinus
Rookie

How is Knevel doing as a starter ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Pistrinus wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:39 am
How is Knevel doing as a starter ?
It’s really hard to judge line play in training camp but Knevel has always played well in past years when called upon. In camp the O-line has been dominating the D-line. It will take at least a few games against other teams to get a good sense of how the Lions stack up.
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:42 am
Yes, the D-line again appears to be the team's biggest weakness. After six days of practice, I've yet to see the front four generate any pressure on the quarterback. With the strength of the secondary, the quarterbacks have been holding the ball an extraordinarily long time to try to find an open receiver. The first team defence has also been ineffective at stopping the run. Despite all the talent elsewhere on this team, the D-line could again be the Lions' downfall.
I guess the good news is that the O-line is looking good! :roar: